Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Physics challenge

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Robertisaacs, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    So I was revisiting thought experiment 1 today, which looked at forces in trusses and such. And I had a connection click in my mind.

Iphone. There is an app for that.
    [​IMG]
    Its called bridgebasher. Its presently free.

The idea is you have to devise a bridge using struts, trusses and such. When you are ready the game runs word trains over it. Your bridge has to stand up to all of the trains. And the less struts you use, the less the bridge costs and the higher the score.

The Thought experiment is about the relative angles and stresses on the joints. So is the game. Not a bad way to introduce people to fissics.

Its hellishly addictive but if anyone fancies they know physics, my best score is a bridge which (sometimes) stands up to all the trains and costs $873. If you can beat that, I'll be impressed.

2. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

For goodness sake Robert, the last thing I need is another app that I end up addicted to, that I have to hide from the BFL every time she comes in the room. (Angry Bird being the cuplrit previously)

3. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Praise be to the Lord, it's not available on Android!

4. Thats a real shame Robin. Physics based challenge type game would be right up your street if you are of an addictive persuasion...:empathy:

Oh wait, :rolleyes: theres a web based version:drinks

http://andrewgarrison.com/WebGames/BridgeBasher.aspx

The physics model is a bit less afvanced and there is no $ value for keeping score, but its still fun.

5. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that thank you very much

6. You'll be back...

Its simple. You just think about the physics, look at a few real bridges and lay one out. And if it isn't strong enough you can just walk away....

7. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

I may give his a go but it is not free anymore, a mere .99 cents. I'm with Robin on Angry Birds. I about lost my noodle over that game already...and yet I keep coming back and playing after getting through all levels on the free app!

8. Its 99 cents well spent mate.

I too have lost many a happy hour on angry birds though.

This one is a bit more thoughtful. You find yourself thinking about it when on the toilet or in the car. Painfully simple but horribly addictive.

$873 is the score to beat david.

9. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Damn you Robert Isaacs, damn you! I'll buy the app and end up trying to beat the score of the guy that forces me to use references when reading his posts....damn you!!

10. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Well thanks for that Robert. You'll never guess what I spent my Saturday night doing. Can't complete IMPOSSIBLY HEAVY and my bridge to get me that far looks like the Forth Rail Bridge

11. My apolgies to your partners :D.

For your first one, where you just try to get a bridge which works, think suspension bridges. Notice which joints fail and consider the difference between tensile and compressive forces at those joints.

If it helps, I'm stuck at 873. The best design to date is 140 and involves some kind of ramp!!

I'm presently trying to design one with moving parts.

If I get time later I'll upload one that works at 1200 or so to give yo a nudge in the right direction.