Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

How does homeopathy work?

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by gavw, Feb 21, 2011.

1. gavw

gavw Active Member

2. toby1981

toby1981 Member

Very amusing....

To quote Dr Ben Goldacre...

"homeopathy pills don’t work better than placebo dummy pills in trials. They are made by taking one drop of the original substance and diluting it in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000 drops of water, then taking one drop of that solution, which is now just water, and shaking it near some pills, which you then buy to treat an illness."

:pigs:

3. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Published in New Scientist 19th February 2011.

"A Twitter post by 'KerryHomeopath' announced recently: "Your brain is 80% water, you remember stuff. Water has a memory. Therefore homeopathy works."

This is true. My urine told me early on Sunday morning that I had too many beers late on Saturday night.

Bill Liggins

4. blinda

blinda MVP

You always said you were good at turning wine into water:drinks

5. I can give you peer review evidence that a treatment with exactly the same mechanism as homeopathy can reduce back pain by 40% or so.

Placebos work. Annoyingly.

6. I've been worrying about the last video.

Homeopathy works on the basis that the more you dilute the remedy the more effective it is. So obviously the above was safe because by taking the whole bottle she took MORE, therefore less effect.

But what if the bottle was placed next to another bottle and the water remembered the remedy, the sugar remembered the water, the plastic contacted the bottle, the bottle contacted the other bottle then the other bottle contaminated the pills inside?!

Perfectly safe zoplicone could put someone in a coma with that dilute a contact!!

7. fatboy

fatboy Active Member

More worryingly, if water has a memory,

What happens if someone drops a homepathic pill into a water treatment facility?

a new type of psycho(homeo)pathic terrorist!

8. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

In similar fashion, and as you know Bill, I drink only a little acohol, and only now and again - I stood next to someone at a bar a while ago, and the next morning my urine confirmed that I'd stood next to someone who had had too many beers the night beofre.

Now how does that work:confused:.

9. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hey Blinda,

Pleased I don't live in your water catchment area:D.

10. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

11. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Ziztur swallows a bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  12. Showoff. With your embedding and your fancy city ways.

Not to worry chris. Dropping it into a water treatment facility would only dilute it about 5c (from memory). Not enough to do any damage.

Put a drop in the pacific you'd still not reach anywhere need 40c. To make it more dilute than the "safe" levels of dilution would take more water than there is in the universe!!

13. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

I don't wish to become too distasteful here, but the excess products during lovemaking are frequently flushed down the lavatory. The water from thence is sent to a sewage plant and purified. This water then enters water system, is drawn off, again purified and distributed to houses where ladies use it for showering. Since the water 'remembers' sperm, am I responsible for impregnating countless ladies? If this is the case, can they slap a maternity suit on me?

Should I avoid being sued by quickly swallowing a bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills like Ziztur, or, as Robert has said, should I make certain of my imminent demise by taking just one (or perhaps a half mixed with a gallon of water).

Panickingly

Bill

14. Actually if I understand the principle would'nt that make all those women infertile?! Isn't it the opposite effect of the large dose with the small dose? In which case where "gentlemans relish" cases babies in large doses it should prevent them when diluted.

On the upside, by the same principle, think of all the c diff we've prevented

Makes you think!

15. Yeah, there's a time and place for thinking about these things, and as I'm about to eat my dinner is not one of them. All I can think about now is what else gets flushed down the toilet...

16. LOL! Sorry.

I just ran Bills concerns, and my theory, past my wife. Her response was "Oh my God you're a bunch of freaks".

Candour compells us to admit that she may not be entirely mistaken.

17. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

No better line to describe homeopathy, in my opinion, than this one from David Mitchell in the Homeopathic A&E sketch

" True you may have killed the odd person with cancer, malaria.............bronchitis...........even measles but when someone comes in here (the homeopathic hospital)with a vague sense of unease or even just more money than sense, you'll be there with a bottle of basically just water in one hand and a huge invoice in the other"

18. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

I still love it when I get an SCP monthly newsletter with a comment about how homeopathy can help bunions- what exactly do you have to dilute to help those!

19. Alcohol or class A´s so people reading that crap believe it .

20. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Scrape some skin off the bunion, dilute it in water, shake it, dilute it in more water, shake it again, dilute it and shake it. apply that to the bunion. Guaranteed cure

21. What are you taking about robin? You've seen the evidence. Marigold reduces the IM angle. What's not to like. There was a double blind rct and everything.

Maybe it's because marigold flowers are orange and bunions are sort of red, which is a bit orangey...

22. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

yes i agree someone with alot of ollogies told me exactly the same so it must be true

23. To the histology lab! We must find some neuroma tissue at once!!:drinks

Hang on, its what CAUSES the disease isn't it. We could render down some unsuitable footwear I suppose...

Its funny when we say it. Somehow it's still massively popular in the UK in podiatry though. :hammer:

24. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Diluting some deforming moments looks like it is going to be the ultimate cure. I've heard that farming/harvesting those deforming moments are quite tricky, almost as difficult as obtaining Unobtanium

Robin

25. All is revealed...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  26. chris burden

chris burden Member

It works by giving the body a minute particle of what it needs, to kick start the body to produce it's own.

27. Except it doesn't. Homeopathic remedies don't contain a minute particle of anything (besides water / sugar) and often its a compound that the body doesn't make. And even if the body DID make it, it would not be a good thing.

Other than that you're dead on ;).

28. gavw

gavw Active Member

I hope you are being ironic. The thread title is really just a rhetorical question.