Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

When Will Runners Reach the Limit of Human Endurance?

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by NewsBot, Jan 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Press Release:
    When will runners and swimmers reach their physical limit.

2. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Limit to improvement in running and swimming
    Yu Sang Chang, Seung Jin Baek
    International Journal of Applied Management Science 2011 - Vol. 3, No.1 pp. 97 - 120

3. when they stop running and injuring themselves and costing the NHS lots of money , contraversial eh private pods?

4. I know I cannot spell either!

5. When will people stop drinking so much alcohol, getting liver disease, getting into fights, causing car accidents and deaths of innocent drivers, passengers and pedestrians, falling off of buildings, costing the NHS lots of money?:bang::craig:

I think you could find many more harmful things to ask people to stop doing in your country if your only worry was that their actions was "costing the NHS lots of money" than complaining about someone going out to get some vigorous exercise by running every now and then for their mental and physical health.:bash:

6. Griff

Griff Moderator

I agree Kevin. Murphyneatfeet's comments make no sense to me at all, not least as I would imagine sports injuries cost the NHS a tiny amount relative to disease processes caused by other activities such as smoking and drinking. And why would private Podiatrists find a comment about NHS costs controversial? And the comments aren't even in context of the article... most strange.

Anyway, back on the topic of physical limits and ceilings on performance, it seems that Puma believe that we haven't seen the best of their prize athlete Usain Bolt yet: http://pumabolt.net/biomechanical-analysis-of-usain-bolts-9-58-sec-world-record/

7. footfan

footfan Active Member

Ian,

How serious do the atheletes you see take sports science in improving performance,forgive my ignorance but i dont know whether its purely private athletes you see , do they teach themselves the basics like how muscles work, calories expenditure ect.

Regards

Jon

8. Griff

Griff Moderator

Hi Jon,

Yes I only do private work. The competitive athletes I see take things very seriously, and are often accompanied to the consultation by their coaches. Some of them have very good basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology relevant to their speciality, and others not so. The same could be said of the more 'recreational' athletes however, with some considering diet, heart rate, VO2 max, lactate thresholds etc etc as part of their training, and others just throwing on their shoes and running round the block.

Triathletes are the most intense in my experience. They do the most reading, and seem to invest the most time (and money) in taking any step possible to improve performance.

Any reason for your question Jon?

9. footfan

footfan Active Member

Hi Ian ,

I have limited experience in the private sports injury clinics, so was very intrigued. From my very limited anecdotal experience I’ve found exactly the same with club runners and especially tri-athletes. The podiatric surgeons I’ve shadowed also seem to take their sports training seriously. The only thing that I worry about is my young 18-22 year old patients who train according to mens health’s claims, they usually have overuse injuries within few months, by being promised ridiculous times. 

Thanks
    Jon

10. JB1973

JB1973 Active Member

Happy new year all
    Roger bannisters book is worth a read. I think the journal article that Kevin posted is a little over the top. He didn't dedicate his life to the 4 minute mile. He was far more dedicated to his studies. I wonder if anyone will ever break 2 hours for a marathon. What an achievement that would be.
    Cheers
    JB

11. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Back to the original question.

I think that there is still significant potential for improvement in athletic performance and even more in swimming and that the limits won't be approached this century at least. In all areas of sport I think that the potential for improvement is greater in female sport.

I am far from convinced that the human beings with the greatest potential (not just physiological potential) have ever run competitively or even put a foot in a swimming pool.

Having just looked at the men's track and field world records it is interesting to not the importance of a relatively unbroken genetic connection with Africa. This isn't as apparent in the women's records which for me reflects the limited opportunities for women in these societies, ie societies with a relatively unbroken genetic connection with Africa.

As this group have, in general, had limited opportunities to become involved in athletics continued improvement in athletic world records will be almost exclusively an indicator of improving opportunities for this group. Women's records have the potential for relatively greater improvement as the opportunities of women within these societies further limits their opportunities.

In swimming just give the third world the same access to swimming pools and coaches and genuinely equal opportunities to all who want to swim and just watch the records tumble.

The pessimist within me thinks that within the next decade, as a result of commercial and possibly political pressure, some drugs currently banned will be redefined and that over time this list of acceptable 'products' will grow. Already the pro-drugs argument seems to be gaining strength and I think that it will win through in the end. It might take another couple of generations of youngsters who have never known clean sport but I think it is highly likely to become a reality. As the rich countries fall further behind in terms of athletic performance legitimising drugs could help to bridge the gap between them and poorer but more talented athletes.

Bill Donaldson