Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Ground reaction force during running

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by kosmic, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kosmic

kosmic Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I need to simulate a four degree (mass, dumper, spring) model of human body to calculate a ground reaction force. Using Matlab or any other language.
    Does anyone know anything about it?
    Thanks.

2. Kosmic:

Try this link:
    http://www.mathworks.com/access/hel...4GGLL_en&q=damper and spring model of running''

What are you using this for?? You will need to give us more information as to what you are trying to accomplish in order for us to help you more.

3. As Kevin said, some more detail should be helpful.

Are you looking for a rheological model like the one attached?

Attached Files:

4. kosmic

Here is the article where you can see all the information about this model.
    I will be very grateful if you could help me in any way possible.
    Zdravko Aleksic
    aleksiczdravko@yahoo.com
    Kragujevac, Serbia

Attached Files:

5. Zdravko:

You will need to let us know how we can specifically help you and it would also help if we knew if you are a undergraduate or graduate student, a physician, an engineer, or a biomechanist.

I can't help you with the math in this type of work, but certainly can help you with a little bit of the history and concepts. Some of the earliest mathematical models of running were done by Tom McMahon to determine a optimum running surface for energy return. His work in constructing the indoor track at Harvard resulted in mile times generally 5 seconds faster due to matching the stiffness of the track to the stiffness of the leg. Denoth and Nigg have also been quite prominent in this research over the past 25 years and I would try and read all their earlier papers on modelling running. When all else fails, get as many of the earlier papers as possible, start reading and then get back to us if you get stuck.

6. kosmic

What I have to do is to simulate this model using the equations you could see in the paper.
    I allready did some similar simulations in Matlab, but I had the model and needed to see how it would respond to certain inputs. But here I have to calculate the ground reaction force using the equation you could see in the paper and using Matlab or some other language.
    I am graduate student of mechanical engineering.

7. Zdravko:

I'm sorry I can't help you since I am not an engineer, but rather just a clinician. David Smith, who is an engineer-podiatrist that contributes here on Podiatry Arena frequently, may be help you further.

You may consider contacting the authors of the paper you posted to see if they could help you with your specific questions. Most authors are pleased when one of their colleagues expresses interest in their research.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help further.