Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Poor fitting shoes in those with diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by NewsBot, Jul 26, 2006.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Do US Veterans Wear Appropriately Sized Shoes?: The Veterans Affairs Shoe Size Selection Study
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 96(4): 290–292, 2006

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Phil Wells

Phil Wells Active Member

It may be of interest to those who are not too technophobic that Clarks shoe shops in the UK have just launched a new non-contact digital image capture system for measuring kids feet.
    It measures the feet (Both together) then compares the measures against their shoe last dimension. It then suggets the best fit for the child via a nice touch screen.
    Stating the obvious here but I am sure we can all imagine how useful this would be for the at risk foot. The only thing holding it back in healthcare is money - surprise surprise!!

Phil

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Do patients with diabetes wear shoes of the correct size?
    Harrison SJ, Cochrane L, Abboud RJ, Leese GP.
    Int J Clin Pract. 2007 Nov;61(11):1900-4.

5. NewsBot

Articles:
    As today is World Diabetes Day, a couple of news stories on this have come out:

Innovations Report are reporting:
    63% of diabetics risk serious foot problems by wearing the wrong-sized shoes
    Full story

The Daily Mail have also picked up the story:
    Diabetics 'risk amputations by wearing ill-fitting shoes'
    Full story

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

7. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

netizens

The study is far too small and further complicated by no universal criteria for what constitutes an 'approriate fit.' For centures shoe industries have blatently refused to set 'universal shoe sizing and no call for improved foot health will make a jot difference, I fear. I think these reports are 'well meant' and cover 'well ken't' ground but little else. I must say my attention was drawn more to the reported low up take of self examination, which I think speak's volumes.

Hey, what do I know?
    toeslayer

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Comparison of shoe-length fit between people with and without diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a case-control study
    Alistair D McInnes, Farina Hashmi, Lisa J Farndon, Amanda Church, Maria Haley, Debora M Sanger and Wesley Vernon
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Research 2012, 5:9

9. NewsBot

Articles:
    Recognizing the Prevalence of Changing Adult Foot Size
    An Opportunity to Prevent Diabetic Foot Ulcers?

John E. Connolly and James S. Wrobel
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 104(1): 118–122, 2014

10. NewsBot

Articles:
    A prospective study of analyzing foot wear practice in patients with diabetic foot problems
    Amit Kumar C. Jain, Rajagopalan S.
    In J Surg; Vol 5, No 8 (2018)

11. NewsBot

Articles:
    Fit for purpose? Footwear for patients with and without diabetic peripheral neuropathy: A cross-sectional study
    EstherChicharro-Luna et al
    Primary Care Diabetes; 27 August 2020