Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The Re-emergence of the Minimal Running Shoe

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Sep 12, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The Re-emergence of the Minimal Running Shoe
    Irene S. Davis, PT, PhD
    Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, Ahead of Print

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here is my spin on that review: http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/the-re-emergence-of-the-minimal-running-shoe/

ie:

3. If Irene had written an article titled, "The Sudden Death of the Minimalist Running Shoe", then it would have been more news appropriate.

Irene's article looks like it should have been written in 2010, not 2014!:confused::rolleyes:

4. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Would someone please define 'partial minimal'? Could this mean 'in part maximal', or 'sort of minimal' or'slightly maximal' or 'minimal with maximal tendencies', or perhaps 'now for something completely different'.

Bill Liggins

5. I saw that Aldi are currently stocking " natural" trainers.

6. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

Since there is still, after 6 odd years, no sensible definition of "minimal", I would have thought it very difficult to define "partial-minimal"!

7. If you have pain or injury using minimal shoes, then you are doing something wrong!
    This is my 8th year running totally barefoot, running more than 8 miles a day, all year long outside. If I have pains, then I have to adjust what I am doing. I also run many marathons every year, so I know running barefoot works.

8. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

Oh Oh.. I can't bare to watch..

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Yep of course you are doing something wrong!; you should not be running barefoot or in minimal shoes! Minimalism/barefoot just load the tissues differently than traditional shod running; one is not better than the other, they just load different tissues differently
    Why can't you adjust what you are doing while running in a shoe if you have pains?

Anecdotes are not evidence. What set of tissues are offloaded by one or the other may work fine for individual runners, but it 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. For every runner who is doing well with barfoot/minimlism, there is another it an epic fail.

All the formal systematic reviews of all the evidence by people from many different backgrounds have all reached the same conclusion: there are NO systematic benefits of barefoot/minimalism over traditional shod (I reviewed that evidence here).

The barefoot/minimalism fad has been declining since around mid 2012; runners have lost interest in it - it was an epic fail on being able to deliver on what the promises of the rhetoric and propaganda claimed. Sales of minimalist shoes have been declining consistently every month since then, down to now having only 3-5% of the market share.

The super cushioned Hoka One One, now outsell the entire minimalist category!

Runners have voted with their feet.

(BTW, I do 1/2 to 1/3 of my own runs in minimalist shoes - I just do not have the urge to evangelize that what works for me will work for everyone and I do not have to urge to lie about the research)

10. WHOOP TEE DOO FOR YOU, Chicago Barefoot Runner....your "8th year running totally barefoot, running more than 8 miles a day, all year long outside" comment means absolutely nothing...the plural of anecdotes is not evidence!