Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nail Surgery SOP's

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by Sammo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Sammo

Sammo Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any links for a good SOP document for Nail surgery.. something like NICE guidelines, or Society guidelines.. been trawling around the internet for ages, including those websites and can't find anything, but I know this stuff exists!!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Sam

2. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

What is SOP? Remeber this is an international site. I have heard of NICE before, but I don't think many would know what they are.

3. Sammo

Sammo Active Member

Oh.. sorry!

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

NICE = National Institute for Clinical Excellence (UK based organisation)

Apologies all!!

S

4. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

Sam

Reading all the recent threads on this site recently regarding nail surgery and phenol exposure times, it is obvious that there are no standard proceedures.

If you read the threads, everyone has their own protocol and everyone claims it is what works for them.

Personally I am surprised at some of the methods and lack of consistency across the profession. I am sure that this is not the only proceedure which lacks standardisation hence the lack of confidence in the profession at times.

Cornmerchant.

5. delpod

delpod Active Member

Hi Sam,

i think you'll find that almost every health profession displays some/similar lack of standardisation between procedures, whether it be dentistry, general medical practice, podiatry or chiropidy. the fact of the matter is that this is a multinational forum, where people have learnt their professions at institutions which may differ greatly in not only location, but also teaching principles. Moreover, the defintion of a podiatrist in one counrty can differ greatly from the next. i dont believe it's a reflexion of a lack of confidence within the profession but moreso the diversity within the profession.

cheers

6. maloures

maloures Member

Hi Sam, some trusts have adopted the following:

World Health Organisation Surgical Checklist
    The Podiatry Service has adopted the principles of the World Health
    Organisation’s Surgical Safety Checklist as adapted and disseminated by
    the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA).
    “A core set of safety checks has been identified in the form of a WHO
    Surgical Safety Checklist for use in any operating theatre environment.
    The checklist is a tool for the relevant clinical teams to improve the safety
    of surgery by reducing deaths and complications.
    “Organisations are required to ensure the checklist is completed for every
    patient undergoing a surgical procedure (including local anaesthesia)”.
    NPSA 2009

Hope this helps, all the best :D