Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Oestrogen hormone - overuse injuries

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by kerstin, Nov 22, 2006.

1. kerstin

kerstin Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello brains trusts,

Is anyone familiar with the impact of oestrogen hormone level on overuse injuries, like tibialis posterior tendinitis (periostitis??)???

I have a patiƫnt, 15 years old and she is a promise in athletic (800m.), but she is suffering with pain of her tibialis posterior and this goes up and down, 2 weeks notting of pain, she can do everything and then the next day she can't do anything, she needs to stop with the training and this goes month after month. And the moment of pain is when she will have her periods??? She is taking the pill now and it doesn't change, when she stops to have her periods, pain again?
    I have done a complete biomechanical analysis and when she is running, her subtalar joint is pronating as well in time (to long) as in amount. So I gave her already an functional orthosis, who corrects her biomechanical misalignments. But still the period of pain is shorter but still there??? And
    when I check her running pattern the subtalar joint is in control, so my orthosis are working well (WINK my icon doesn't work, some female problem, I geuss???)

So what is the impact of that female problem (oestrogen hormone) and how can we have control on it, some treatment plans??? (I know that that hormone gives more laxity but can this really gives injuries when the level is the highest of the month?????)
    So is there someone who have some brilliant ideas??

Thanks in advance,
    kerstin

2. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

A report last year on the ABCs catalyst program preseneted some PhD research looking at knee injury and its link to the menstrual cycle and the protective effect of the birth control pill Catalyst

Also a report earlier this month on BBC "Sport injury link to menstruation"

May be of help

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. kerstin

kerstin Active Member

Thanks for the references, very interesting literature, it have helped me a lot.