Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

CPD - where to start

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by moosepod, Aug 21, 2008.

1. moosepod

moosepod Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I was just wondering if some pearls of wisdom could be passed my way. I am a newly qualified UK podiatrist and after having a relaxing break from studying and currently in the process of finding a job I thought it was about time I started on some CPD... but there are so many topics, I'm not sure where to start or what is fully relevant to me at this time.

Any help with this guys?

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    You have taken the first step....the second step is to determine what areas you feel weak in or least confident in and then come up with strategies to change that. Put together a plan to develop the weak areas - this includes a range of activites to strengthen the weakness - include online reading; participate here at Pod Arena on the topic; offline reading; visit with other pratitioners who are expert in the area you want to develop; attend a course or workshop on the topic etc.

We often talk about evidence based practice.... but for some reason ignore the evidence when it comes to CPD. The evidence is that adults learn best when the first self identify a learning need or weakness, then apply strategies to full that learning need (unfortunatly those who ignore the evidence, just think it all about "bums on seats"accumulating hours at meetings) - I made my view known here.

3. moosepod

moosepod Member

Hi Craig,

Thank you very much, that is definitely good advice ...I think that at university we get it drummed in to us how important CPD is, but we never discuss how to record your CPD or even where to start, topics to cover, what counts as a CPD activity etc. I am sure I'm not alone in this feeling.

4. .

Wise words indeed.

To my mind, the hardest part is that we do not know what we do not know. There is always a danger that we think, when considereing CPD, of the last thing we did and try to build on that. There is a strong human tendancy to shy from the areas we feel weakest in.

Forums such as this are invaluable here. When reading posts you will come across phrases, terminology, tests etc with which you are not familier. As you find them make the effort to seek out more information on these areas.

Interacting with other professionals is, IMO, not merely desireable but essential to keep challenging yourself. If you are lucky enough to work in a team with other podiatrists this is easy. If not, the internet can serve almost as well.

I would also add that most members of this site, exalted though they be, are very happy to extend help to the up coming generation of podiatrists. Remember that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask and that there will always be someone willing to help you and a dozen lurkers who wished they had asked that question themselves. As users of this site we are priveledged to have access to some of the finest podiatrists IN THE WORLD! It is an incredible resourse which you should avail yourself of as much as you can.

Happy learning :drinks

Robert

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    To me, you should be able to get points for anything that you did that you can justify lead to an improvement in patient outcomes (afterall that is what it is about) and you should not get points for activities that did not lead to am improvement in patient outcomes....its that simple.

HOWEVER, authorities behind many schemes have some misguided understanding (in ignorance of the evidence) as to what this actually means and there exists this culture that CPD = bums on seats at conferences etc (how often have you been to a conference/course/meeting/etc and come monday morning, your patients are no better off?)

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here is an eg: My wife is a Podiatrist and on her last return for the Accredited Podiatrists scheme in Australia, she claimed points for being married to me (I suppose she has to get something out of it ! :dizzy: ) .... while everyone laughs :D when I tell this story, think about it .... where do you think she gets most of her CPD from that actually lead to an improvement in patient outcomes from? Most schemes around the world would not have recognised this as CPD, but for her it was the best source of information and more importantly, information that lead to a change in behaviours that resulted in better patient outcomes!