Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Reading Research papers - Reading between the lines 101

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by mike weber, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Over in a MBT thread started by Ian, Here. We have touched on an important issue. When reading research papers how do you decided if the research or conclusion have been tainted.

I know Craig et al have had some problems with use of stats for authors usuing the wrong methods to get conclusions that they hope to see.

But how does the normal everyday Podiatrist sort the information, some of the writings around the use of shock wave treatment is classic example of the missuse of stats and conclusions.

As journals become more important to keep `up to date `maybe some good guide lines may help.

2. I always enjoyed the papers of Trisha Greenhalgh on reading papers, she later did a book on it:

Greenhalgh,T (2006) How to Read a paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine, 3rd Edition, Oxford, Blackwells, ISBN=978-140513976
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&resnum=4&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false
    Greenhalgh T, Taylor R, Papers that go beyond numbers (qualitative research), BMJ, 315(7110), 740-3, 1997
    Greenhalgh T, Papers that summarise other papers (systematic reviews and meta-analyses), BMJ, 315(7109), 672-5, 1997
    Greenhalgh T, How to read a paper. Papers that tell you what things cost (economic analyses), BMJ, 315(7108), 596-9, 1997
    Greenhalgh T, How to read a paper. Statistics for the non-statistician. I: Different types of data need different statistical tests, BMJ, 315(7104), 364-6, 1997
    Greenhalgh T, How to read a paper. The Medline database, BMJ, 315(7101), 180-3, 1997
    Greenhalgh T, 'Is my practice evidence-based?', BMJ, 313(7063), 957-8, 1996

There are more, her full C.V. and list of publications here:
    http://myprofile.cos.com/P243302GRa

3. Griff

Griff Moderator

4. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Ahh you hid it well here !!

And that was after he hit his second shot out of bounds took a drop then thinned a shot that was destined for oblivion through the back of the green, hit the pin and sunk an 8ft down hill putt for the win which hit the cup so hard it jumped 3 inches in the air and then fell into the hole. :hammer:

Now I'm told I have to give him and extra shot the next time making it 8 coz some hooky handicap system says so ..... Mugged again :eek:

BUT

Ian when you grow up and are as old as me, you may be able to drive a ball as far as I can !!! :D

Nice day mate, we will do it again soon :drinks
    cheers fella
    D ;)

5. Griff

Griff Moderator

Del,

A decent round on Sunday morning followed by a cracker yesterday has seen my handicap drop to 20. Lets hope the bank holiday weekend is kind to me and I may hit my target of 18 before the year is out.

Note to self - must practise letting loose with the big dog more - can't have an old codger out driving me next time can I ;)

Look forward to it mate. Your clubhouse does the best cheesy chips I've ever tasted

IG

6. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Ian

I got news for you Mate in my book your off 18 already !!! :D

I'll warn the ground staff :eek: How many Prov1 's did you lose last time ?? I must make a note next time and go back an find them later ( another old codger thing) :D

I wouldnt know :rolleyes: I never had any!! The feeding frenzy with the chaps saw to that :D
    D;)