Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry in schools

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by helentowers, Sep 26, 2006.

1. helentowers

helentowers Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    has anyone else created any lesson plans for schools work. I am starting a health promotion initiative. the local schools are going to work with me and the healthy schools campaign to create footwear policies and I need to create interactive lessons for all school years 1 - 11. the teachers will be facilitating the lessons when I have written them. It would help me if I could make use of anyone elses ideas, rather than trying to re - invent the wheel. It would also help me not to make mistakes that others have experienced.
    you can email me at work if you have any lesson plans already created that you don't mind sharinghelen.towers@medwaypct.nhs.uk

2. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

helentowers

Hi Helen

Many many moons ago I was involved in a project where we looked at anthropometry, charting and math. Primary school kids were encouraged to keep measurements of their feet and height as part of a math class. The statistics were used as data for norm distribution etc. This included feet size and shoe size height and weight, all of which led to foor hygiene and shoe fashion Clarks (UK) did a series of teaching cards on the history of footwear. which was was very useful. I suppose if I were to repeat it again I would be interested in

I helped an art teacher in the US with older children with a similar project but it included casting feet. Once the class were conversant with slipper casting technique they invited local celebrities to have their feet cast and the kids used these in their artwork.

More recently I was invited to judge at an exhibition at a local primary shool where the teacher had used shoes as the main theme for a class exercise. The kids were 6 or 7 and their work was incredible and easily at a professional standard in some cases. We had tentative discussion at the time how some of the exhibits could be used in creative writing and Social Studies. One particular memorable piece had been the combined works of an Aborigianl gilr and her friend from Iraq, it was quite staggering.

I have also worked with Latch Key kids and used foot priints and shoe outlines for games as well as to help them work out when they need new shoes.

All the best

Cameron

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Helen

As an after thought you might like to contact Dr Footsie <http://drfootsie.org/>. He is responsible for street theatre and incorporates foot characters into his works. He is a retired pod but has nver lost the desire to educate children about foot health and also includes anti drug, antigang and anti smoking in his promotions.

Really interesting chap

Cheers
    Cameron

4. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

I was invited once by a friend of mine to speak to children at school in her class.I never did it and she never did ask me again.If she does,I have no idea how to plan it.If and when I see her,I may ask her what I should do....

5. Maltapod

Maltapod Welcome New Poster

HI I am wondering for a tilte re my Masters project. I am a Maltese podiatrist and re foot health education in my country nothing has been done yet. I might go for the prevelance of lower limb conditions in maltese obese children aged 8 -12 years(high rate internationally). Can anyone givve me a hint or tools I can use? Your help is more than appreciated

regards

Maltapod

6. Wendy

Wendy Active Member

Hi
    If the teachers are facilitating the lessons are there any resources already in the schools that you would be able to use.
    I recently spoke to some yr 5 pupils (UK age 9-10yrs) about the profession and the majority loved the fact I took my skeletal foot in with me to see the bones in their foot! Some also thought my job was 'gross' as I dealt with feet.....can't win them all.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Wendy

7. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy,
    A colleague of mine is working in a school in a very underprivileged area. The aims being to include footwear in the uniform shop as a requirement of purchase and also train up a few teachers in shoe fitting. The problem initially presented were kids in shoes 2-3 sizes to big, bought to reduce costs and let the kids "grow into them". The OH & S aspect led to podiatry being involved. All the kids were hurting themselves.

If you want to PM me I'll give you her email address. I'm sure she would be happy to share her experiences.

8. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi Cylie I would be intreseted in speaking with her as well. You have my eamil address if that is OK.
    Thanks