Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatric acupuncture

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by tracygill, Dec 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. tracygill

tracygill Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hiya, Just found this site and just joined and logged onto the correct forum!

I am trying to find any research and evidence based information on Podiatric acupuncture and wonder if anyone has any advice or threads on finding out such information. There is a dearth of info on the net but not relevent to the foot. Thanks Tracy :rolleyes:

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Shane Toohey

Shane Toohey Active Member

Hi Tracy, welcome to Arena!

You said: "I am trying to find any research and evidence based information on Podiatric acupuncture and wonder if anyone has any advice or threads on finding out such information. There is a dearth of info on the net but not relevent to the foot. Thanks Tracy"

At present you won't find any specific podiatric acupuncture research, as discussed in those previous threads. We will have to extrapolate from more general research and accept that if, for example, acupuncture is helpful in reducing pain in an osteoarthritic knee it is probably useful in the reduction of pain in an osteoarthritic ankle! That's not too far of a stretch.

I see you list yourself as a podiatrist and an acupuncturist. Does that mean that you are a registered acupuncturist and that you do general acupuncture treatment? Or do you have a podiatric acupuncture certificate?

I'm asking because there is a big difference and there won't be many of the former and their input into podiatric acupuncture would be very useful. I know there are a few lurking out there. There is unlikely to be any podiatric acupuncture research until some podiatric acupuncturists do the research and write it up.

I've started collecting references from the web and most have been mentioned by myself or others in previous acupuncture threads in arena.

Cheers
    Shane

4. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

This has often intrigued me. Just what is "podiatric acupuncture"? Is there something different about accupuncture when a podiatrist does it or when its used on the foot, that it deserves a special term? :confused: :confused: :confused:

5. George Brandy

George Brandy Active Member

Think it's called producting.

If you hold a certificate to carry out acupuncture on the foot/ankle/knee and bits inbetween you must define this. Rather than a protracted explanation why not "podiatric acupuncture" and its uses within the practice of Podiatry?

GB

6. elmsj

elmsj Guest

There is a chap called Dyn Parry who used to organise the IPAF International podiatric acupuncture forum. He is a podiatrist and did acupuncture training at the same time as myself with Dr Anthony Campbell. Using "western medical " acupuncture. Diagnosis = western medical and not trad chinese medicine.
    he gave me a long list of "Podiatric specific" research for acupuncture. ie legs and feet problems only. Cant find it at the moment, but if I can dig it out I will let you know.
    if i am a little slow please forgive me, I am due to have my baby this week!

7. elmsj

elmsj Guest

Just an addition really, i here are some links on acupuncture research used for foot and lower leg problems

Acupuncture: an effective treatment for painful diabetic neuropathy
    Diabetic Foot, The, Winter, 2006 by Jillian Green, Joanne McClennon

Nwabudike LC, Ionescu-Tirgoviste C (2000) Acupuncture in the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Diabetes 49: 628

http://acupunctureinmedicine.org.uk/servearticle.php?artid=283 (BMAS article on medically unresponsive foot pain successfully treated with acupuncture)

The treatment of capsulitis of the foot and Morton's neuroma with acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine.
    Article from: The Journal of Chinese Medicine Article date: June 1, 2008 Author: Smith, Scott R.

Birch S, Hammerschlag R. Acupuncture Efficacy: A Compendium of Controlled Clinical Studies. Tarrytown, NY: National Academy of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, August 1996.

Chen BX, Zhao YL. Treatment of painful heel with combined method of traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine. Clinical analysis of 900 cases. Chin Med J Jul 1985;98(7):471-4.
    Erickson RJ, Edwards B. Medically unresponsive foot pain treated successfully with acupuncture. Acupuncture in Medicine November 1996.

Steinmetz M. Treatment choices for plantar fasciitis. Am Fam Physician Dec 1999;60(9):250-54.

Abuaisha BB, Costanzi JB, Boulton AJ (1998) Acupuncture for the treatment of chronic painful diabetic neuropathy: a long-term study. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 39(2): 115-21

Goodnick PJ, Breakstone K, Wen XL, Kumar A (2000) Acupuncture and neuropathy. American Journal of Psychiatry 157(8): 1342-3

McClennon J, Green J, Robinson A (2005) Acupuncture--an alternative treatment for painful diabetic neuropathy. 5th Scientific Meeting: The Diabetic Foot Study Group. 7-10 September, Athens, Greece

Just a few to be going on with...

8. tracygill

tracygill Member

Many Thanks for that info!! Tracy

9. jasper1966

jasper1966 Member

Dear all

i am a pod of 7 years experience looking to do a course in accupuncture specific to podiatrists. So much info out there just looking to be signposted to the best course.

Any info guys

10. Griff

Griff Moderator

http://www.acupunctureinpodiatry.com/