Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Root Seminar

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Scorpio622, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    A rare archaeological find occurred in my garage last week. I found a box of 10 cassette tapes labeled Root Seminar- that I acquired over 20 years ago circa podiatry school. After a close listen, it is from a seminar given by Root, Orien, and Weed in the late 70's PRIOR to the publication of their Normal/Abnormal text, as they often allude to the “book that they are writing.”

The most impressive thing about them is the lack of dogma in presenting their ideas. The tone was very open-minded. They repeatedly state the need for more research and present their ideas as being based on clinical observation for the most part.

Their subsequent text became Gospel for many- and this seemed to be far from its intention according to these tapes. The purpose of their initial work was to get the ball rolling- and it did. I certainly gained further respect for these guys.

Nick

2. Nick:

It would be nice to have these tapes transcribed and/or copied so that all of those who never had the opportunity to listen to these fine individuals speak could actually hear what they said and how they said it. I think many would be surprised and enlightened by their knowledge and attitudes toward teaching this difficult subject. I went to about 5-6 Root Seminars from the early to late 1980s and these seminars were very important in the development of my knowledge regarding foot and lower extremity biomechanics.

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I too have that set of tapes ... have some hand written notes I took while listening to them many many many many years ago. Some incredible pearls of wisdom in them.

4. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Seasons greetings all.

May I ask are these copyrighted editions?

Or personal lecture tapes?

Either way is there a way individuals could obtain a copy. I am with Kevin in that I too would very much appreciate the opportunity to listen to or read their content.

With thanks.

5. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

twirly,

These are on Memorex cassette tapes- so they were copied. The sound quality is good considering that they are 30 years old. I doubt that a copyright is much of an issue due to the age and the fact that they are used for personal educational reasons. I tried to make an mp3 copy of these tapes but got terrible white noise. I will be getting a new computer within the next few months with a better sound card and will make the copies then.

If the copies are good I will burn them on CDs and send them to you and Kevin- as well as any other top poster in appreciation for their efforts on the Arena.

Nick

6. Nick:

Thanks for that.....Happy New Year!

7. Can i recommend magicsofts soundcapture program. Its a nifty bit of freeware which grabs any sound coming through your soundcard and converts it for you. If you've got a walkman, a double male bit of headphone cable and a soundcard with a line in port then the world is the mollusc of your choosing. Also good for backing up vinyl.

Mucho ta

Robert

8. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Much appreciated Nick.

Thanks

9. Griff

Griff Moderator

Nick,

Is this only an offer available to top posters? Us lowly ranked posters would be keen for a listen as well I'm certain. Is there any way you can submit it as a podcast or something along those lines?

Ian

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  10. Provided it was digitized at a lower quality so the size did'nt get stupid it could always be uploaded to a digital vault. That way anyone with the password could access it. and download it.

11. Jbwheele

Jbwheele Active Member

Hi Guys

There is Always E-bay. Ha Ha:D