Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Calcaneal Bone Marrow Edema/microfracture of plantar calcaneus Patient discussion

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by mike weber, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The other month were discussing this condition ...

Here is some Highlights

Anyways had a patient come in the other day with long standing heel pain.

Started 9 years ago focused in the area of the medial plantar calc.

Was diagnosed as a Heel Spur by a local Sports Med Dr - treatment has included, Acupuncture, EVA full length insoles with met dome, Shock wave treatment, Soft heel spur pads, Cortisone injections * 2 all of which have not helped and the pain id slowly getting worse and more diffuse.

The patient has has 3 MRI which have come back as unremarkable except the last one in Feb 2011 -

- Insignificant change in the Plantar Fascia
    - Some changes but minimal edema subcutaneous at the insertion of the plantar fascia but not significant for Plantar fasciitis
    -no heel spur or significant edema at the insertion of the plantar fascia

But he is in significant pain on every step and has stopped all activities and now the pain is in the whole calcaneal area.

I performed the squeeze test Fredrik wrote about the the patient hit the roof - so made a preliminary diagnosis of Calcaneal Bone Marrow Edema/microfracture of plantar calcaneus.

I have some MRI picture which I will try and load up - Can anyone help make a better diagnosis ?

What would be the steps in treatment for a patient with Calcaneal Bone Marrow Edema/microfracture of plantar calcaneus who has been in pain for 9 years ?

2. A Couple of MRI picture not the best quality and can upload more if required

Attached Files:

3. Nothing

Zip

Nadda

Well I guess I will expand some patient info a little which should not make a different as we have the MRI report.

Male 35

9 yr history of right heel pain.

Pain started as classic medial band plantar fascia issues ( call it what you will) pain mainly at the insertion to the Calc.

- Morning pain
    - increased pain after activity

Was diagnosed as a Heel Spur by a local Sports Med Dr - treatment has included, Acupuncture, EVA full length insoles with met dome, Shock wave treatment, Soft heel spur pads, Cortisone injections * 2 all of which have not helped and the pain id slowly getting worse and more diffuse.

The patient has has 3 MRI which have come back as unremarkable except the last one in Feb 2011 -

- Insignificant change in the Plantar Fascia
    - Some changes but minimal edema subcutaneous at the insertion of the plantar fascia but not significant for Plantar fasciitis
    -no heel spur or significant edema at the insertion of the plantar fascia

But he is in significant pain on every step and has stopped all activities and now the pain is in the whole calcaneal area.

I performed the squeeze test Fredrik wrote about the the patient hit the roof - so made a preliminary diagnosis of Calcaneal Bone Marrow Edema/microfracture of plantar calcaneus.

Biomechancial assessment highlights

Moderately Medial deviated Subtalar joint axis

Slightly increased Subtalar joint supination resistance

Increased dorsiflexion stiffness @ 1st and Talocural

But in reality all of this not so important as we have a patient with diffuse Calcaneal pain on every step and a relatively unremarkable MRI.

At this stage I´m considering non-weightbearing on the right side ie crutches for 3 weeks to see if the pain reduces any one got any better suggestions and if that is unsuccessful what would be the next step ?

Refer to a surgeon for a consult for decompression surgery ?

4. blinda

blinda MVP

What was the outcome for this pt, Mike? Got one with similar hx in sunny Winchester.

5. Nothing - Patient did not want to rest and when I suggested a walker boot I may as well have told him his life was over.

But I would go with walker 6-8 weeks

Device which reduces both tension and Compression forces acting on the plantar fascia

Rehab/hands on stuff for the Gastroc and Soleus

Slow return to weight bearing activities

Shoot me an email if I can be of any assistance - idea bouncing etc etc

Nice to be back at work ?

6. blinda

blinda MVP

7. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Interestingly, since Frederick posted that answer to my question some time ago, I have been looking out for this more.

Essentially, the way I see it is

1. There probably has been some major excessive plantar fascia tension and compression forces that have been part of the acute injury.

2.Left untreated or having had insufficient treatment of the aforementioned, the bone marrow oedema has developed.

3. With the treatment modalities improved and/or redcued activity levels, the original plantar fascia issue becomes secondary to the bone marrow oedema.

4. Any compression of the heel, even normal walking, is enough to cause increased inflammation/bone marrow oedema despite any amount of offloading

I have had a couple where I really need to give a lot of cushioning at the heel and others where a walker has been required. The walker very quickly reduced the pain and within a few weeks, the same heel squeeze test was significantly improved.

Totally anecdotal and n=a few but as you ain't had much from anyone else, I thought I would chip in my limited experience

Robin