Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Dry Needling for Verrucae

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by walkwell, Dec 6, 2010.

1. walkwell

walkwell Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi guys,

What is the general consensus about performing dry needling on a patient who is trying to have a baby. (Not pregnant yet)

Or performing the procedure on a patient who finds out that they are pregnant a few weeks post treatment?

I have a patient who presents with a large plantar verruca which has not improved with caustic treatments. This particular patient leads a busy lifestyle and dry needling would be a solution to her problem, however she is trying to conceive.

Does anyone have any opinions on this matter?:morning:
    I would appreciate any help.

Vicky

2. Don't see a problem with it. No chemicals involved so no risk of toxicity. Minimal risk of infection. Dive right in.

3. blinda

blinda MVP

4. walkwell

walkwell Member

Thank you for your reponses.

I will contact the patient and book her in.

Regards

Vicky

5. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

6. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

I'm guessing you will be freezing the area. Anesthetic may carry a low risk of miscarriage if administered in the first trimester. We've delayed nail surgeries in suspected and confirmed early pregnancy and waited until a safer time. Also possible link to learning delay/disabilities in babies exposed prenatally.
    This would be a problem if they were indeed a few weeks pregnant at the time.
    Sarah

7. Pacifico

Pacifico Member

Hello
    I have no experience in dry needling but in my opinion you should:
    - make a pregnancy test - if negative go ahead
    - if positive - wait till after the pregnancy.

I tend to do more aggresive treatments like ablative therapy with a co2 laser.
    If it is not desirable or you have no CO2 laser than I will do one ore more sessions of photodynamic therapy. IPL or Diode (ND-YAG ) lasers are alternatives.
    Greetings

8. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Last time I looked there were chemicals in my local anaesthetics - having said that shouldn't cause a problem - caution in first trimester with locals - also be careful if she's having IVF - again shouldn't be a problem but better not to have the finger of blame pointed at oneself.

9. blinda

blinda MVP

True. The BMA and PSGB suggest that all drugs should be avoided if possible during the first trimester, although many pregnant women receive LA by way of epidural injection as part of their pain relief management during delivery, without adverse effects, as the dose is considered safe...But, the question was not about using LA on an already pregnant pt was it?

However, I agree. I would suggest that the pt put off needling if she is pregnant and until after breast feeding has ceased as LA has been identified as being secreted into the mothers` milk.

Cheers,
    Bel
    PS, Are you listening to radio 2? The Eagles were playing ;)

10. MarkC

MarkC Welcome New Poster

I have use dry needling on a few of my patients with some great outcomes, especially mosaic verruca's.

However, I saw a Lady today with a mosaic group of veucca's on one foot, which would be perfect too dry needle. However she is taking Methotrexate and Arava for RA. These are known drugs that decrease the immune system.

Do you think I would still get some immune response if I still dry needled her verruca's?

11. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Good question without a real answer I suspect. Is she not getting rid of the virus because she has a weakened immune system or is it just that it hasn't seen it ?(rhetorical q) if you needle and successfully present the virus will the immune system respond? Who knows without trying - when I studied at the London foot hospital we had HIV pts in the vp clinic and we often got results with traditional caustic treatments but they sometimes had new ones pop up elsewhere- I had a patient on azothiaprine and she kept getting loads of Vps- they would resolve after long bouts of caustic t.t but she would get new ones- we gave up in the end (this was before I started needling patients) - I think in these cases you have to decide whether it's worth trying and I guess that would depend on how much of a problem the vp is causing- if the patient is in a lot of pain I would say give it a go as long as there are no contraindications.
    Just my 2p