Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Is your prescription of distance running shoes evidence based?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Apr 22, 2008.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Is your prescription of distance running shoes evidence based?
    Richards CE, Magin PJ, Callister R.
    Br J Sports Med. 2008 Apr 18 [Epub ahead of print]

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    Here is a news report from today on this story:
    Sports shoe claims still untested: scientists

Link to story

4. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Was telling your 9 year old not to smoke in the 1950s evidence based? Thank goodness parents back then had the wisdom of common-sense and the threat of a cane.:boxing:

Contrary to what I have been told on numerous occasions, I am yet to find a running shoe with "good arch support".

The laziest thing we do is recommend brands. The reality is that shoes are multi-component...and you really have to match the component that matters.

The other thing is that there are footwear sellers that pride themselves on fit. Well until you get a patient with a different foot size (left versus right) coming out with different shoe size (left versus right), no seller should pride themselves on fitting expertise. I realise that there are huge negatives (odd size...cost...stock discrepancy), but if a retailer can't fit the shoe to the foot (not feet), there is no such thing as expert fitting.

Ron
    Physiotherapist (Masters) & Podiatrist.

5. Paulo Silva

Paulo Silva Active Member

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    THATS INTERESTING. I wonder if the authors of the paper disclosed their financial interest in a barefoot running product to the editors of the journal! They have a vested interest in their being no evidence for running shoe prescription. That does not mean anything is wrong in their publication ... BUT, it should still have been disclosed for potential bias reasons.

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Just on this topic of evidence for running shoe prescription, there was the post in the Clinical Trials Update thread on this 'clinical' trial:
    Footwear and Injury Prevention Study

8. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

For the views of a Sydney (Pod) Surgeon & Hugh Jackman's trainer...

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&tab=m164

(Take note of Australia's quality commercial journalism.:pigs: Probably in the same league as Murdoch's Fox News in the US)

Last October during the Melbourne half marathon, an 80 year old in KT-26's flew past me...with 1 mile to go. The KT-26's were heavier and daggier than my 45 gram Nikes, but he got to the line first.

Apologies for the sample of 1.

Ron
    Physiotherapist (Masters) & Podiatrist

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Just got the full paper and the author does disclose this interest. However, a close read of the "tone" and use of words in the paper does reflect the author biasis.

10. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

This issue has arisen on another forum...
    Running injuries is multifactorial i.e. training errors,'poor' biomechanics, 'poor' muscle conditioning for the activity etc.; running shoes is just one of these factors & probably a minimal factor in relation to the group.

However I do believe in all (for 'efficient' & 'inefficient' runners) cases, the height of the heel should be reduced in the majority of running shoes - from the 'neutral' to the 'control' categories.

11. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I wonder how they will respond when we get the results of this trial:
    I don't mind people being biased, as long as they are up front with what "colour lens" that they are looking at the world through, so we can interpret what they say and do with that context in mind.

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release:
    Podiatry New Zealand Steps into Sports Shoe Debate