Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Ground Reaction Force

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Griff, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Griff

Griff Moderator

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    It is a regularly stated 'fact' that when running an individual will hit the ground with 2.5 to 3 times their body weight; however does anyone know where this value originated from?

Was there an initial/landmark paper which investigated this? In addition has there been any very recent work investigating the validity/accuracy of this commonly trusted fact?

With thanks in advance

Ian

2. Mart

Mart Well-Known Member

Hi Ian

There are numerous insights to this in the literature, here’s a cut and paste from one which discusses issue of normative values over range you are thinking about.

Relationship between vertical ground reaction force and speed during walking, slow jogging, and running
    Authors: Keller T.S.1; Weisberger A.M.; Ray J.L.; Hasan S.S.; Shiavi R.G.; Spengler D.M.
    Source: Clinical Biomechanics, Volume 11, Number 5, July 1996 , pp. 253-259(7)
    Publisher: Elsevier

Conclusion
    Knowledge of the relationship between gait speed and
    vertical ground reaction force is important for developing
    models of musculoskeletal adaptation to altered
    activity, improvement of our understanding of the
    aetiology and treatment of injuries associated with
    running, and assessment of running performance. The
    results of this study of 13 men and 10 women recreational
    athletes indicated that the vertical ground
    reaction forces increased linearly with gait speed up to
    about 60% of the subjects’ maximum speed. At higher
    speeds, vertical forces remained constant at approximately
    2.5 times body weight. This finding is different
    from that reported previously for running at speeds of
    3-6 m SC’, and is hypothesized to be the result of a
    lower centre of gravity associated with the forward
    leaning running style adopted by the subjects in order
    to achieve fast running speeds on a relatively short
    runway. Male and female subjects had similar values
    for the vertical GRF descriptors at all the speeds
    examined, and linear regression relationships between
    vertical thrust maximum force and velocity were similar
    for both groups of subjects.

These results suggest,
    therefore, that vertical GRF norms can be established
    for males and females alike.

Moreover, slow jogging or
    ‘slogging’, characterized by a higher centre of gravity
    and more bouncy running style, produced vertical
    forces as much as 1.6 times greater than normal walking
    at the same speed or running at higher speeds. Running
    style, therefore, appears to be a particularly important
    determinant of vertical GRF.

Cheers

Martin

The St. James Foot Clinic
    1749 Portage Ave.
    Winnipeg
    Manitoba
    R3J 0E6
    Phone [204] 837 FOOT (3668)
    Fax [204] 774 9918
    www.winnipegfootclinic.com

3. Griff

Griff Moderator

Martin,

Thank you - thats exactly the sort of paper I was looking for.

Ian

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

5. The earliest paper I know of, and the one most often quoted, on ground reaction forces during running comes from Peter Cavanagh and Mario LaFortune from 28 years ago (Cavanagh, P. R. and Lafortune, M. A. (1980) Ground reaction forces in distance running. J. Biomech. 13, 397-406).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  6. efuller

efuller MVP

Another good paper

Bobbert MF. Yeadon MR. Nigg BM. Mechanical analysis of the landing phase in heel toe running. Journal of Biomechanics. 25(3):223﷓34, 1992 Mar.

With a force plate that measures at high frequency you can see a spike in the force at impact. Their modeling and analysis showed that this spike is from the force of the foot and shank hitting the ground. Then the force of whole body is added. Anyway it is good paper that answers your question and is a good example of modeling.

Regards,

Eric Fuller

7. Here's another good paper by the biomechanics group in Ghent, Belgium.

De Wit B, De Clerq D, Aerts P. Biomechanical analysis of the stance phase during barefoot and shod running. J. Biomech. 33:269-278, 2000.

8. Griff

Griff Moderator

Thank you to all - some great articles there for me to work my way through.

The most recent paper out of those was published in 2000, have any been done more recently than 8 years ago? (It may be time to commit to an MSc dissertation...)

Many thanks again

9. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Ian

A model-based parametric study of impact force during running
    Journal of Biomechanics, Volume 40, Issue 9, 2007, Pages 2012-2021
    Amir Abbas Zadpoor, Ali Asadi Nikooyan and Ahmad Reza Arshi

Dave

10. efuller

efuller MVP

Just because they're old, does not mean that they are bad. Is there any reason to expect that a repeat of the same study would provide different results? Has technology improved?, has running changed? Have the laws of physics changed?

What would be your research question?

If you would like help formulating a research question I'm sure you get a lot of help right here on the ARENA.

Regards,

Eric

11. Here are some more articles for your MSc dissertation, Ian. :drinks

Sasimontonkul S, Bay BK, Pavol MJ. Bone contact forces on the distal tibia during the stance phase of running. J Biomech, 40:3503-3509, 2007.

Milani T, Schlee G, Metzler K: The influence of induced fatigue on ground reaction forces and rearfoot motion in running. J Biomech, 39:S182, 2006.

Gottschall JS, Kram R. Ground reaction forces during downhill and uphill running.
    J Biomech, 38:445-452, 2005.

Boyer KA, Nigg BM: Muscle activity in the leg is tuned in response to impact force characteristics. J Biomech, 37:1583-1588, 2004.

12. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Also, don't forget the threads here tagged with impact forces

13. Griff

Griff Moderator

Eric, I in no way intended to give the impression I thought their age reflected their quality - merely wondered if there were more recent studies performed. As far as the research question... well I will have to get back to you on that one....once I know it myself.....if i ever do....

Kevin, huge thanks for the PDFs no doubt they will bring up more questions which will make their way to the forum in due course

Thanks to all again

Ian