Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New name needed for multiple puncture technique / Dry needling

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by richardrobley, Apr 13, 2012.

1. blinda

blinda MVP

I did say kinda. Cell lysis would certainly happen in all physical/tissue destructive methods such as cryo, sal acid, etc but may not be enough to produce the relevant cytokines to destroy latent virus in adjacent cells (Bristow & Styles, 2011). Whilst cell death plays an important part in triggering innate immune mechanisms, it is not the only factor. To quote from Frazers` paper;

Triggering of innate immune mechanisms is a key initiator of both innate and adaptive immune effector mechanisms for viral clearance. Triggers include double stranded RNAs, single stranded DNAs, bacterial cell membrane components, intracellular molecules released following unprogrammed cell death, and cell membrane associated molecules displayed by distressed cells.

I`m no immunologist and, as I said before, “we do not have a full understanding of the mechanism of cell-mediated immunity in relation to HPV”, which is indeed complex.

The results of the latest Cochrane review (attached) of `Topical treatments for cutaneous warts` (2009) of 60 trials stated that evidence of studies was generally weak due to poor methodology and reporting. Cryotherapy, in particular, was noted as “surprisingly” lacking in evidence of efficacy and evidence of the remaining treatments as “limited”. Yet, we still utilise these methods, but with limited results.

I`m not saying that placebo does not play a part in HPV regression, but I`m not your man to explain the mysteries of suggestibility and hypnotherapy. I know a man who can.

Ref; Bristow I & Styles C (2011) The treatment of stubborn plantar warts using topical 5% imiquimod cream. Shamopody Now (10) pp14

Attached Files:

2. Maybe a study could be performed looking at cytokines post needling?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10811142

3. blinda

blinda MVP

Maybe it could. Love to see it. But I bet my bottom dollar it wouldn`t be performed by a sole trader in private practice. Thus, I`ll have to make do with clinical assessment only. For now. Appreciate your interest, Simon :drinks

4. I hear that. Up against similar problems. :empathy: For those that don't know: currently in the UK if your are not employed by the NHS or a University, trying to get ethical approval to carry out a research study is virtually impossible, despite the fact that you may be perceived by your peers as an expert with loads of experience in the field- right Belinda?

5. blinda

blinda MVP

Right. But I aint no `expert`....just an unhealthy interest ;)

6. How many warts have you FIST'd / SNIVEL'd compared to anyone else in the UK??????? ;) That probably makes you a national expert.

7. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm Wart FISTing *typed with an expression of a bad smell under my nose*

8. blinda

blinda MVP

Really not liking the picture that is conjuring....but, the number of pts used in my paper should soon be made public :pigs:

9. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Apparently this treatment for warts originated over three thousand years ago in China where it is called 'chou chou '.

During treatment the patient is encouraged to repeat this phrase with feeling each time the needle passes through his skin.

Apparently it works as an analgesic.

You learn something new every day.

Bill

10. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Bill,

Do you have a source/ref for that info?

Cheers,
    Bel

11. People have said many things to me when they feel a needle pass through their skin. Especially for digital blocks. "chou chou" has not been one of them yet...:rolleyes:

Best check what it means. It could well be chinese for "F*** ME!!!!!"

Thanks for that little nugget.

12. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

That made tea come down my nose !!:D:D:D

Cheers
    D;)

13. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Sorry Bel.,

Of course if you run a number of 'chou chou' together it very quickly becomes,
    ch/ouch/ouch/ouch/ouch/

But give them the little story (the romance and magic of oriental medicine) and involve them with the 'chou chou's and it might make it easier? OK are you ready for a little cho chou now?

Back in 1984 when I was at LFH Two American podiatrists came across to lecture the students on biomechanics. One of them was using a technique with a similar rationale to dry needling.

He would inject the verruca with cortisone delivered with a jet injector. The idea was that the jet injector would blast viral particles along with cortisone through the capsule. The cortisone would delay the immune response giving the viral particles time to multiply (do they multiply outside the cells of the str.spinosum?) and ensuring a massive eventual immune response and thus increasing the likelyhood of cure.

I did wonder if he actually doing it or only thought that it might be a good idea?

Bill

14. Facepalm!

Well played sir.

15. citychiropody

citychiropody Member

witchcraft ??

16. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

i'd stop messing about and call the treatment 5-flourouracil.

With the podiatrist debriding the lesions every few days to allow the medication to penetrate I would expect the cure rate to go up from 70% or so to nearly 100%. No pain. No scar.

So it would take a few weeks. So what.

Bill

17. No, you want to give 'em a dose of radium as several of my antique texts from the 1930's recommend... :butcher:

18. Oxyacetylene torch. Anecdotally, 100% success rate.

The question you have to ask is do we want our vps developing super powers?

19. Mark Dave Smith

Mark Dave Smith Active Member

May I suggest Dry F.I.S.Ting if the good Dr Spooner hasn't already beaten my to that one.