Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Hi all (future Pod student)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jonifen, Feb 5, 2010.

1. jonifen

jonifen Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I'm starting a BSc in Podiatry in 2011 after completing an access course.
    I'm currently working as a computer programmer (will be leaving the job for starting uni), having spent all my career so far in the world of IT and now realising that just because I was able to use computers that I should have based my career on them!

I've done quite a bit of research into various fields and have decided Podiatry is the right choice for me so I've joined here to get more involved in the community and learn as much as possible to help me both prepare for starting the degree, and also passing it with flying colours!

One thing I can't help but wonder is, Is it normal to be a little concerned about the more "squeamish" side of Podiatry? I wouldn't say I'm particularly squeamish about things, but it has been on my mind a bit - is it normal? I'm sure once I get started, I'll be fine though!

I'm sure I'll speak to most of you in the not too distant future on other posts across the forum!

Thanks,
    Jon

2. missjackson66

missjackson66 Welcome New Poster

Hi Jon,

I'm halfway through my second year at Salford uni and don't worry, lots of us still get squeemish over the gory bits! I think the more practice you get, the more it becomes second nature. We're still looking forward to nail avulsions in the third year, which i think are the bit that most people get queezy over! But i'm sure, as with everything else the patient will take priority and we'll just get on with it!

Let me know if you've any more questions :)
    Rachel

3. R.E.G

R.E.G Active Member

Hi both,

Jon, hey your decision, IT machines can be ornery but nothing compared with dealing with client/patients. Work very hard on your interpersonal skills. Podiatry IMO is 20% knowledge and 80% 'persuasion'.

The squeamish bits? Well if you have really done your homework then you should believe you are the best person to 'deal' with the mess.

Work hard and you will find that the 'squeamish' bits are waht you look forward to.

It's a challenge, enjoy, and good luck.

Bob

4. jonifen

First of all, I've just re-read my original post now and have realised I actually mis-typed it and really meant "just because I was able to use computers that I shouldn't have based my career on them!" - my mistake.

I know I'll be fine once I get going on the course, but I think it's the expectation of what I'll come across is what is making me think of the squeamish part of it all! Plus I've been reading other posts on the forum of what other Pods have come across already. I was wondering how other people felt when they were about to start on the course.

I'm really looking forward to getting started, just a shame I have to wait until 2011 because of the access course (diploma) I have to complete first.

@Rachel - I will also be studying at Salford uni. Are there any books that you use on the course which might be useful for me to have a read through in preparation?

@Bob - I'm quite amiable so get on well with people in general. Which is a good thing given I've been thrown in the deep end once or twice across my IT career so far (dealing with a lot of different (and new) people). It will of course be a lot different between helping someone with a computer or program and dealing with someone's feet so I know I have some more learning to do other than just the Podiatry theory/practical side.

5. RHP16

RHP16 Member

Hi there
    I have been a pod now for 10 years and I actually find the 'squeamish' things brighten my day! After 10 years the basics of podiatry become routine and you find yourself looking for the fun, difficult and mucky stuff to actually challenge yourself.
    All the best
    RHP16

6. missjackson66

missjackson66 Welcome New Poster

Yes, there are lots, but it can get pretty expensive. The best ones i've found (which even individually aren't cheap) are Neales - Disorders of the Foot, Valmassy - Clinical Biomechanics of the Lower Extremity (expensive!) a decent anatomy book like McMinns Anatomy of the lower limb, and once you get started...a general medical dictionary! But all of these are available in the library. Valmassy has been out biomechanics bible, but very few of us have actually bought it, its about £80!

I have to agree about the gory bits, thats what i look forward to!

7. Blue123

Blue123 Active Member

Hi,

If you feel you need a good A & P textbook for first year, i have a copy of marieb/hoehn 7th ed that got me through easily that i do not use any longer! As missjackson says, neales is a great learning from day one right through your career so i highly recommend it! Also i learned a lot from a gait analysis book by whittle, the rest just put the library hours in.....warning you will be spending lots of hours in the library even through the night but all well worth it!

I was the least likely person to undertake a podiatry degree, came out with a 2.1 and love every min especially the gory stuff!

8. chrisvix

chrisvix Member

hi as previously said i have an interview for pod degree at salford coming up, I have already done the fhp course but as you know its not what it is cracked up to be, do salford interview everyone or is it because i'll be a mature student, just wanted any advice really for the interview because it is what i desperately want to do and after spending god knows how much on the fhp course to learn basic foot anatomy and not much else i really couldn't go into practice myself, so to continue along this path i really need this interview to go well. plus is salford a good university for podiatry because i have just read a really bad post about it on another forum. thanks

9. jonifen

I can't wait to get started on it now, it's just a shame I have to wait until 2011!

Thanks for the advice on books Rachel (missjackson66) and Blue123 - I'll have a look in the library to see if I can get hold of any of those books to do a bit of advance reading. I was particularly interested on what they used on the course at Salford as that is where I'll also be studying plus I can't imagine the course changing much in the next 2yrs.

My wife has actually got a few Anatomy & Physiology books as she is mid-way through a Reflexology course (it's actually her foot diagrams and notes on the back room wall which has re-sparked my interest in Biology and made me take the jump from the comfort of the IT world into something completely new!). My sister and brother-in-law are both Radiographers so they're sure to have some stuff worth reading. I'll be at their house this weekend so I'll have a rummage in their bookcase (with their permission first of course!)

@chrisvix - When I first decided on Podiatry, I was actually looking at doing an FHP course to see how I enjoyed it, but the more I read about foot health in general, the more I wanted to jump in the deep end and do the full time degree in Podiatry.
    The reasons I've picked Salford is because: a) it's close to where I am (I live near Bury) and b) they have a proper podiatry clinic onsite so I know I'll be learning with some of the best facilities available to me as a student.

10. Sarah_Natali

Sarah_Natali Member

I reckon Salford served me well - most of the lecturers are helpful and approachable - you always get the odd one that isn't no matter where you go (if you're lucky you can avoid them) . And the other lectures more than make up for them -using their personal contacts to help you out if you need it. So yeah Salford is ok. There new clinic is state of the art and very swish although i think the old one was more fun to work in - Being part of the only year that worked in all three of the clinics. They have introduced a very expensive gait lab which is supposed to be pretty swish. Salford has a great social side to it if you live in and the student assistance is really good esp for international and mature students. it's close to manchester and i enjoyed my time there.

As for gory bits I Was dreading doing Nail surgery even after i qualified I didn't want to do it. Now though - i look forward to it - you get used to it and it's really not that gory it's pretty simple really - I think that the University make such a mountain of it esp the Local anesthetic part of it - at salford you do a full semester on how to give an injection without actually giving an injection - I think that was the worst thing about Salford Uni (apart from maybe pharmacology) - in Australia they practise on each other! So i don't know which i'd prefer

In terms of books - I survived my entire 3yrs without buying a book. You can get everything you need from the internet, handouts and the library - If you did really want to spend some money get the Neale's disorders of the foot one - It's a good book - the biomech ones - i'd wait and see what's happening when you get there - there might be a better book out by then - also I think biomech is a subject that would confuse the pants of you without someone to help you through it. Wait.

Best of Luck in your access course and your future career. x

11. Sonial

Sonial Active Member

Hi
    I am in my 2nd year and left a career of 17+ years in IT. It's the best thing I ever did! You can be sure that all those analytical and organisational skills you learnt will be very transferable to Podiatry.

My tip is get organised with the studies quickly as its amazing how fast the time flies by and get into a study group with people you are comfortable with. In any free (!!!) time you have pick a top such as anatomy and set each other quizes and practice all the time. This approach has reaped its rewards so far with us.

Enjoy!

Sonia

PS re the squeemish bits - you sort of forget about it because you're so engrosed in the treatment - I have to battle nail surgery though next year

12. saffmonster23

saffmonster23 Member

Hi Jonifen and Chrisvix, I'm starting in 2011 at Salford too. I only had my interview a few days ago and I can't wait to strart!

13. pod at home

pod at home Active Member

I graduated in 2009, and I went straight into working with high risk patients with lots of lovely ulcers and other wounds - and it was fantastic! The more squeamish/icky the foot - the more enjoyable it is to get it resolved!

and in regards to studying/text books - I would recommend to start looking on ebay now - many podiatry student/graduates decide not to continue with pod after finishing so start selling their books on ebay - get in quickly this side of the academic year and you can get some bargains - I've never paid full price for any book (and remember you dont need the very latest texts - current knowledge/updates can be gathered from journals and the internet). Invest in a good medical dictionary it will be invaluable - and if you live near a medical school - go and check out local charity shops - i've managed to get all my dermatology/pathology texts from my loca oxfam!
    Good luck with the course, and just remember as a mature student you will have times when you wonder why you gave up a nice reliable job to do the course - and you just need to remember to talk to your colleagues and always take sometime away from studying!