Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Sensori-motor reflex arcs

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by timharmey, Jan 18, 2012.

1. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    What effect would orthotics have on sensori-motor reflex arcs and could they play a role in orthotic function ?
    Tim

2. Possibly Tim

if this is a good definition - Reflex arcs. A reflex arc is a neural circuit that creates a more or less automatic link between a sensory input and a specific motor output

then I would suggest you read this thread - Leg stiffness

basically if the stiffness of the foot surface interface changes stiffness the body will adjust leg stiffness (k-leg)

softer surface stiffness - higher leg stiffness and vice versa

So if the sensory input changes due to surface stiffness changes there will be motor response ( muscle flexion increases or decreases )

So by changing the foot interface stiffness with a orthotic -----

as read this thread - probably closely related in idea - Nigg's "Preferred Movement Path" Paradigm

Hope that helps - interesting stuff this area

3. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

Hi Mike
    Thanks for replying .My enquiry was caused by a physio friend introducing me to the work of a guy called E. Paul Zeher who is a professor for a biomedical research he is intrested in among other things , in how sesory input from the foot is important for regulating spinal cord motor output for walking.I have only read a couple of his papers , but it is eye opening.I have to admit I havent read the links you mentioned , I will over the weekend(Hopefully ).I would recommend you check this guy out , he has a website , which gives access to his papers
    Tim

4. Tim do you have an address - I goggled DR E. Paul Zeher and got a link to Dr Dre?

5. timharmey

timharmey Active Member