Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry Conversion Course - QMUC

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nick Curry, May 6, 2008.

1. Nick Curry

Nick Curry Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everybody,

Does anyone have any information about the Podiatry Conversion Course run by Queen Margarets Uni', Edinburgh?

I have received basic info from the Uni' itself, but wondered if anyone out there is currently studying this course, and could give me more info on the precise subject matter studied in the 3 modules?

Many thanks,

Nick Curry

2. sam f

sam f Welcome New Poster

Hi Nick
    I finished the course last year. Found it very interesting. The modules are all concerned with research and evidence based medicine. First one is about conducting actual research and it takes you through the process of proposing a piece of research (though not actually doing it) Second one is concerned with how you critique and appraise published research while the last one is about bringing together various parts of evidence based medicine. If you need anymore info let me know.

3. Nick Curry

Nick Curry Active Member

Sam,

Thank you very much for the reply. I am in the process of applying to do the course. I think I was initially a little surprised by the course content, don't know what I was expecting, perhaps subjects akin to Podiatry, such as Podopediatrics or treatment of the diabetic foot, as opposed to research and evidence-based medicine.
    It appears that you enjoyed the course, and found it worthwhile.

I presume you didnt have a BSc from a Uni' following a 3 year course, like myself?

How many hours a week studying did you devote? Were the course materials well-written?
    Did you find the support from tutors adequate?

I'd be grateful for any more info you have for me.

Many thanks once again,

Nick Curry

4. sam f

sam f Welcome New Poster

Hi Nick

Yes, I think I was initialy surprised by the "generic" content of the modules (there were also an equal amount of Radiographers on the course as well) but rest assured you will be pleasently surprised by what it offers. This is especially relevent to the direction the profession is heading in, with the emphasis on research and evidence based practice.

I qualified with a diploma a good many years ago (From QMU as it happens). Course materials were excellent and the tutors were superb. There is also as much or as little help you require from fellow students on the course. You "meet" up with all kinds of people from all over the world. At first I wasn't sure how it would be using the online "meetings" but as it turns out I think I put in more input than I can ever remember when I was a student doing the diploma !!
    Also, returning to serious study after a long period of absence was a bit daunting at first but as long as you keep up as the weeks go on you will do just fine. It really isn't as hard as you might think, plus it gives you an awful lot of CPD as you go on.
    Hope this persuades you to go for it and good luck if you do.