Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Measuring outcomes

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Dieter Fellner, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    What is the best system for evaluating surgical outcomes?

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    For research you can't go past the FHSQ (Foot Health Status Questionnaire) as this not only measures foot pain, but also foot QoL and the affect of foot pain on general QoL.

Both the American Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Association and the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons have published outcome measures for foot surgery in their respective journals..... I am not overly impressed with the validity work done on them to date.

3. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Fhq

Craig

Thanks for the post- Where can I see this ?

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Here are two refs (I have some more buired away):

Paul J. Bennett, Carla Patterson, and Michael P. Dunne
    Health-Related Quality of Life Following Podiatric Surgery
    J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2001 91: 164-173.

PJ Bennett, C Patterson, S Wearing, and T Baglioni
    Development and validation of a questionnaire designed to measure foot-health status J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1998 88: 419-428

Paul is the one on the right in the mug shot for the caption competition - feel free to make him the butt of some more jokes :p

5. Ian Reilly

Ian Reilly Active Member

Dieter

I agree with Craig – I like the Bennet system.

Also look at FAI Vol 25, no 8 – Aug 2004 for a review of outcome scales

Ian

6. Dawn Bacon

Dawn Bacon Active Member

Ian,
    I am not familiar with FAI journal. What is it and how does one access it?
    Thanks,
    Polly

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  8. Ian Reilly

Ian Reilly Active Member

Sorry Polly

Foot and Ankle International - the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle journal. Available on-line via subscription... or printed of course…

Ian

9. podrick

podrick Active Member

outcomes

i would like to agree with some of comments being made with regards to the questionaire being put out by the amercican college of foot surgeons,of which i am a member.it can't be applied as a standard in private practice.
    foot surgery is a very individualistic practice,tailored to the single patient's medical,and social criteria.the acfs questionaire was designed by academia to be administred in residency programs on a large scale.
    remember,success is really measured in the perception of the patient,and so is reality for that matter.how many of you have had a poor result,only to have the patient return and tell you"i want you to do this foot now,the same way you did the first one."

10. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Foot Health Status Questionnaire website

I just found that Paul has a website for the Foot Health Status Questionnaire:
    http://www.fhsq.homestead.com/