Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

World's oldest person dies at age 116

Discussion in 'Gerontology' started by Hylton Menz, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Hylton Menz

Hylton Menz Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    From the BBC:

World's oldest person dies at age 116

An American woman officially recognised as the world's oldest person has died at the age of 116.

Elizabeth "Lizzy" Bolden died at a nursing home in Memphis, Tennessee.

Born in 1890, she married at 19 and was widowed in the 1950s. She suffered a stroke in 2004 and spoke little after that.

"She was always very family-oriented. She gave good advice and the family listened. She was a hard worker, and a farmer for most of her life," said her grandson, James Bolden.

Mrs Bolden had 40 grandchildren, 75 great-grandchildren, 150 great-great-grandchildren, 220 great-great-great grandchildren and 75 great-great-great-great grandchildren. :eek:

She assumed the title of world's oldest person following the death of Esther de Capovilla of Ecuador in August - also at the age of 116.

Her successor looks set to be Emiliano Mercado del Toro of Puerto Rico, who is 115, according to Robert Young, adviser to Guinness World Records.​

2. oldest person

Judging by the number of offspring i'd say the secret of her longevity must be the amount of, ahem, exercise. I shall recommend it warmly to the wife. :rolleyes:

Well it beats an oxygen tent or drinking your own wee.

Wasn't there a woman in india who beat that based on smoking absurd quantities of ganga?

:D
    Robert

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Alcohol in moderation may extend life

Reuters are reporting:
    Alcohol in moderation may extend life

5. Hylton Menz

Hylton Menz Guest

Robert Isaacs wrote:

You're right - the oldest woman in India, Fulla Nayak, died at age 125 in November this year. According to a report at the time (link), "Fulla was known for her love of smoking ganja and cigars and palm juice. She also loved steaming hot tea".

France's oldest woman, Jeanne Calment, died in 1997 at age 122, and attributed her longevity to chocolate, port and cigarettes. She also retained a healthy sense of humour, stating at her 110th birthday that "I've only ever had one wrinkle, and I'm sitting on it".

6. trevor

trevor Active Member

Our oldest patient was born in November 1897. He still attended our rooms until early last year when he moved in to a retirement home.
    :)

Trevor.

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Associated Press are reporting:
    World's oldest woman dies at 115 in Montreal

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    The BBC are reporting:
    World's oldest person dies at 114

9. Hylton Menz

Hylton Menz Guest

Man aged 107 forsakes sex for longevity

Man aged 107 forsakes sex for longevity

HONG KONG (Reuters) - A 107-year-old Hong Kong villager, who still enjoys an occasional smoke, has attributed his longevity in part to decades of sexual abstinence, a newspaper said on Sunday.

"I don't know why I have lived this long," Chan Chi -- one of Hong Kong's oldest people -- was quoted as saying in the South China Morning Post during an annual feast for the city's elders.

"Maybe it has to do with the fact that I have lived a sex-less life for many years -- since I was 30," said Chan, a widower whose youthful bride perished during the Japanese invasion in World War Two.

Chan, from Hong Kong's less built-up New Territories hinterland, was pictured looking sprightly and eating heartily at the banquet.

A former chef, he said a low-fat diet and regular dawn exercises had helped him fight off the ravages of old age.

But the centenarian, who's had no difficulty living a monastic existence for nearly 80 years, admits the pleasures of tobacco have been harder to resist.

"Now I want to quit," he was quoted as saying of his decades-long cigarette addiction. "Maybe the government should ban cigarette sales so I can give it up," he added.​

10. Hi Hylton,
    Had a patient recently who is 84 and goes overseas annually with her 86 year old girlfriend. They had to put off their trip to Scandanavia in April as her friends mother was turning 109! She just went into a nursing home last year.
    Regards
    Nic Murphy

11. ja99

ja99 Active Member

Re: Man aged 107 forsakes sex for longevity

A bit off thread, but reminds me of the old Irish Joke:

Old Irishman goes to see his GP.

He says "...Doc, if I give up drinking, smoking and chasing women will I live longer?"

Doctor: "...No, it'll just seem that way !":D

12. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

Re: Man aged 107 forsakes sex for longevity

Here's another:

A couple both over 100, married for 80 years, go to a lawyer asking for a divorce.

Perplexed, the lawyer asks why after 80 long years they are now deciding to divorce.

They both answer in unison: "We were waiting for the kids to die."

13. NewsBot

Articles:
    The ABC are reporting:
    Oldest person in Japan dies at 113

14. Trent Baker

Trent Baker Active Member

My grandfather in the UK sustained lung damage to mustard gas in the 1st world war, was a chain smoker until the day he died and he lived until he was 101 years old.

With these genes and the suggestion of grog extending your life expectancy, I'm looking to out do old Fulla Nayak at 125.

Trent

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    CTV are reporting:
    Oldest known woman will turn 115 on Saturday
    Rest of story

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Associated Press are reporting:
    Woman listed as world's oldest person dead at 115
    Updated Fri. Jan. 2 2009
    Full story

17. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

These reports confuse me because they just had a segment on the local t.v. news where they proclaimed that a man in Southern California has just passed and was the world's oldest living person at 115?

18. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

I think I went to school with Lizzy!!!!!!

19. Sammo

Sammo Active Member

I read in the Metro a couple years back about Britains oldest man (he was about 108 but I am not entirely sure..)

When asked what his secret to longevity was he replied:

"Cigarettes, whisky and fast, fast women..."

He is my hero.

Sam

20. sueg

sueg Welcome New Poster

I have a patient who will be 100 in December, lives on her own, does not have a proper bathroom but a bath under a removable work surface in the kitchen and goes to a keep fit class. She is amazing, puts me to shame.

21. sueg

sueg Welcome New Poster

I would hate to reach a great age. Can you imagine how it must be; each year you are dressed up and wheeled out, the Mayor comes and others of note, may be the cameras and TV interviewers are there and you are asked that annoyingly stupid question AGAIN: "And what do you put your longevity down to?". I would have been thinking for ages what suitably daft answer I could come up with. :craig: :butcher:

22. NewsBot

Articles:
  23. cfiweb

cfiweb Welcome New Poster

I wonder how it must feel. My grandmother is already 89 and she is sick all the time and my parents are a hell lot worried. And I believe age is not just number it’s the count of your life...:cool:

24. NewsBot

Articles: