Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Biomechanics in Clinic and Research: An interactive teaching and learning course

Discussion in 'Podiatry and Related Books' started by admin, Dec 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Biomechanics in Clinic and Research: An interactive teaching and learning course
    Jim Richards

[​IMG]

232 pages; Churchill Livingstone; 2008
    Review
    Product Description
    Table of Contents
    Chapter 1: Maths and Mechanics
    Chapter 2: Forces, Moments and Muscles
    Chapter 3: Ground Reaction Forces, Impulse and Momentum
    Chapter 4: Motion and Joint Motion
    Chapter 5: Work, Energy and Power
    Chapter 6: Inverse Dynamics Theory
    Chapter 7: Measurement of Force and Pressure
    Chapter 8: Methods of Analysis of Movement
    Chapter 9: Anatomical Models and Marker Sets
    Chapter 10: Measurement of Muscle Function and Physiological Cost
    Chapter 11: Biomechanics of Direct and Indirect Orthotic Management
    Chapter 12: Common movement tasks in Clinical Assessment

Buy From:
    Amazon.com (USA)
    Amazon.ca (Canada)
    Amazon.co.uk (United Kingdom)
    Fishpond.com.au (Australia)
    Fishpond.co.nz (New Zealand)

2. Just ordered it on Amazon.com. I'll let you know if it is worth the $140 price tag.:cool:

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    If I had my way, this would be the book that all our students would be using.

4. mondul19

mondul19 Member

Kevin:

And your book report is due January 10 -- semester grade pending your submission. Looking forward to it...

Mark

5. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Have just bought this and have only just started the online course - I will make some observations as I go along. First one which is more than a little annoying is that for some reason my course completion stats and quiz results are not retained after I log out so I've got to do the whole thing again - I have this problem outstanding as a query to elsevier,s tech support team and will post an update as soon as I hear from them.

6. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Got a reply to my email giving me a tel no in the USA to contact to discuss - will report back on this when I've spoken to them.
    As I couldnt save the results I went back and did the quiz again to see i fI could save it a second time. SDidnt work the 2nd time either - but I did notice that the questions came up in a different order - not a problem until I did the second quiz which required the use of an anthropometry table - some of the questions that require the use of this table do not give details of the subject's mass and height. You need this to use the table so you cant answer the questions!!! Duh!
    One of the questions does give this info but of course you need to be lucky to get that question first. If the order of questions comes out wrong you're stuffed! - the online part is not working very well so far!

7. ColinB

ColinB Welcome New Poster

We were so impressed with the way that "Biomechanics" was made accessable and understandable to the reader, either in the text or on-line, that we now provide a copy with all Tekscan system shipped to our customers in the UK & Ireland and actively encourage others to consider it as essential reading. In coversation with Dr Jim Richards I asked "do you still lecture as much? to which he replied "I do not lecture, I teach!". I think this philosophy is reflected in the text and vocabulary and why is makes the subject accessable to the non-physicist. We, Biosense Medical Ltd have no commercial interest in this publication other than Dr Jim Richards is a respected and valued customer.

8. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Steve,

Shame about the online aspect not doing it for you, keep us posted on their advice. How did you get on with the book? Any chance of bringing it to the Boot Camp, for a sneaky peak?

Cheers,
    Bel

9. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

will do

10. Wendy

Wendy Active Member

I have a copy if you want to have look.
    Wendy

11. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

All

If I may comment,

I got this book at the weekend and read thru it (Bit of a speed read) and in general I would have to agree with the sentiment of the above.

It has very useful and clear illustration and text outlining the fundamentals of general mechanical and specific Biomechanical principles and techniques without going so deep as to be completely mind boggling to the non Bio-engineer / mathematician / physicist.

It assumes almost no knowledge of trig but a reasonable understanding of algebra although most equations use real numbers. Calculus is neatly side stepped and introduces easy concepts to deal with integration e.g. finding the area under an irregular and unknown curve of force impulse.

Another useful aspect is that it covers all the likely equipment that you may use or read about in research and most of the orthotic interventions used for treatment and resolution of biomechanical dysfunction in the lower limb.

There's lots of learning potential for someone new to research biomechanics and how its applied to the clinical situation and is a great aid memoir or reference manual for the more experienced student.

I believe that, If you put this book together with David Winter's Biomechanics of Motor Control and Human Movement and Jaquie Perry's Gait Analysis, Normal and pathological function, then this would cover just about everything you need to know about biomechanics in terms of kinetics and kinematics of gait analysis.

I'll go and read it again now, more slowly and check out the online stuff.

Cheers Dave

12. Dangerous thing, trying to teach. Rogers believed we did more harm than good when trying to be a teacher.

These two essays are from a book titled "Freedom to Learn" published in 1969, that contains the basic ideas on learning of Carl Rogers.

"Personal Thoughts on Teaching and Learning (1952)

I wish to present some very brief remarks, in the hope that if they bring forth any reaction from you, I may get some new light on my own ideas.

a) My experience is that I cannot teach another person how to teach. To attempt it is for me, in the long run, futile.
    b) It seems to me that anything that can be taught to another is relatively inconsequential and has little or no significant influence on behavior.

c) I realize increasingly that I am only interested in learnings which significantly influence behavior.

d) I have come to feel that the only learning which significantly influence behavior is self-discovered, self-appropriated learning.

e) Such self-discovered learning, truth that has been personally appropriated and assimilated in experience, cannot be directly communicated to another.

f) As a consequence of the above, I realize that I have lost interest in being a teacher.

g) When I try to teach, as I do sometimes, I am appalled by the results, which seems a little more than inconsequential, because sometimes the teaching appears to succeed. When this happens I find that the results are damaging. It seems to cause the individual to distrust his own experience, and to stifle significant learning. Hence, I have come to feel that the outcomes of teaching are either unimportant or hurtful.

h) When I look back at the results of my past teaching, the real results seem the same - either damage was done - or nothing significant occurred. This is frankly troubling.

i) As a consequence, I realize that I am only interested in being a learner, preferably learning things that matter, that have some significant influence on my own behavior.

j) I find it very rewarding to learn, in groups, in relationships with one person as in therapy, or by myself.

k) I find that one of the best, but most difficult, ways for me to learn is to drop my own defensiveness, at least temporarily, and to try to understand the way in which his experience seems and feels to the other person.

l) I find that another way of learning for me is to state my own uncertainties, to try to clarify my puzzlements, and thus get closer to the meaning that my experience actually seems to have.

m) This whole train of experiencing, and the meanings that I have thus far discovered in it, seem to have launched me on a process which is both fascinating and at times a little frightening. It seems to mean letting my experiences carry me on, in a direction which appears to be forward, toward goals that I can but dimly define, as I try to understand at least the current meaning of that experience. The sensation is that of floating with a complex stream of experience, with the fascinating possibility of trying to comprehend its ever-changing complexity.

I am almost afraid I may seem to have gotten away from any discussion of learning, as well as teaching. Let me again introduce a practical note by saying that by themselves these interpretations of my experience may sound queer and aberrant, but not particularly shocking. It is when I realize the implications that I shudder a bit at the distance I have come from the commonsense world that everyone knows is right. I can best illustrate this by saying that if the experiences of others had been the same as mine, and if 1 had discovered similar meanings in it, many consequences would be implied:

a.) Such experience would imply that we would do away with teaching. People would get together if they wished to learn.
    b.) We would do away with examinations. They measure the inconsequential type of learning.
    c.) We would do away with grades and credits for the same reason.
    d.) We would do away with degrees as a measure of competence partly for the same reason. Another reason is that a degree marks an end or a conclusion of something, and a learner is only interested in the continuing process of learning.
    e.) We would do away with the exposition of conclusions, for we would realize that no one learns significantly from conclusions.

I think I had better to stop here. I do not want to become too fantastic. I want to know primarily whether anything in my inward thinking, as I have tried to describe it, speaks to anything in your experience of the classroom as you have lived it, and if so, what the meanings are that exist for you in your experience.

Regarding Learning and Its Facilitation (1969)

How does a person learn? How can important learnings be facilitated? What basic theoretical assumptions are involved?

Here are a number of the principles which can, I believe, be abstracted from current experience and research related to this newer approach:

Learning

1) Human beings have a natural potentiality for learning.
    2) Significant learning takes place when the subject matter is perceived by the student as having relevance for his own purposes.
    3) Learning which involves a change in self organization - in the perception of oneself - is threatening and tends to be resisted.
    4) Those learning which are threatening to the self are more easily perceived and assimilated when external threats are at a minimum.
    5) When threats to the self is low, experience can be perceived in differentiated fashion and learning can proceed.
    6) Much significant learning is acquired through doing.
    7) Learning is facilitated when the student participates responsibly in the learning process.
    8) Self-initiated learning which involves the whole person of the learner - feelings as well as intellect - is the most lasting and pervasive.
    9) Independence, creativity, and self-reliance are all facilitated when self-criticism and self-evaluation are basic and evaluation by others is of secondary importance.
    10) The most socially useful learning in the modern world is the learning of the process of learning, a continuing openness to experience and incorporation into oneself of the process of change.

Facilitation

1) The facilitator has much to do with setting the initial mood or climate of the group or class experience.
    2) The facilitator helps to elicit and clarify the purposes of the individuals in the class as well as the more general purposes of the group.
    3) He relies upon the desire of each student to implement those purposes which have meaning for him, as the motivational force behind significant learning.
    4) He endeavours to organize and make easily available the widest possible range of resources for learning.
    5) He regards himself as a flexible resource to be utilized by the group.
    6) In responding to expressions in the classroom group, he accepts both the intellectual content and the emotionalized attitudes, endeavouring to give each aspect the approximate degree of emphasis which it has for the individual or the group.
    7) As the acceptant classroom climate becomes established, the facilitator is able increasingly to become a participant learner, a member of the group, expressing his views as those of one individual only.
    8) He takes the initiative in sharing himself with the group - his feelings as well as his thoughts - in ways which do not demand nor impose but represent simply a personal sharing which students may take or leave.
    9) Throughout the classroom experience, he remains alert to the expression indicative of deep or strong feelings.
    10) In his functioning as a facilitator of learning, the leader endeavours to recognize and accept his own limitations."