Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Gait plates for in-toe gait

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Stanley, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    <admin note>: I have split this thread off from the thread on Pronation control for in toeing adolescent with Severs disease to continue discussion here on gait plates. <>

I would be interested in seeing this article. Every gait plate that I have seen from commercial laboratories in the last 20 years has been done wrong. :eek:
    I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with Dick Schuster during my fellowship in 1976. One day he decided to teach me how to make a gait plate out of steel (the way they were originally made). I was surprised when he started making it without a cast. :confused: He told me that originally they were made to the shoe. Also he told me that they are made to go to the end of the shoe, so it can effectively change the break in the shoe.
    The commercial gait plates I see go from behind the first metatarsal head to just in front of the fifth metatarsal head. These are way too short to have any significant effect on the gait angle.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005
  2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Here it is:

3. dawesy

dawesy Member

Thanks Admin! Have not been able to find this anywhere!

Cheers.

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Stanley

Would be really good if you could elaborate on this....

CP

5. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

I thought he had...and I agree with him...about the need to actually alter the break angle of the shoe involved....you could also try a met roll bar installed at an angle on the sole of the shoe...should contribute to the desired result....I think.
    Regards Phill

6. Walking1

Walking1 Member

I agree that the commercial labs did make their gait plates too short ( I have trained mine) as they need to go from just behind the 1st MPJ and extend to the distal end of the 5th toe at least.
    They must change the break point in the shoe so the shoe should be very flexable, even a cheap runner is a help so the patient cannot override the gait plate with a stiff shoe.
    I have had great success with this combination.
    Regards
    Richard

7. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Stanley

Glad I read your post
    before designing orthoses for a lady p/t with severe toe in gait. With a compliant cavus foot she also had excessive rearfoot pronation and f/foot abduction and her gait was very narrow even criss cross which made her very unstable in ambulation. I designed her orthoses with an extended lateral gait plate from the 1st ray c/o to the distal 4th and 5th then ground it to the shoe. It worked a treat, much wider gait and less in toeing.

Good Stuff Cheers Dave Smith :)