Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

3 year old with severely pronated foot

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Heather J Bassett, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    3 yo presented with total foot collapse. rear foot, medfoot pronation--bulging med mid foot, everted heel etc. He is unable to toe walk without assisitance. Difficult for him to stand on tippy toes without assisitance. Mum says family history but he complains of very sore feet after most acitivity. He rubs along the plantar midfoot to show where it gets sore. He has reached normal milestones, is an active happy bright child. Does not appear to trip more than normaly?? What sort of exercises?? would you out there recommend? Just in standing it would appear that any sort of soft device is simply going to bottom out with the force of his collapse. Are rigid devices an option at this age?? As you can tell I don"t see many Paeds this young or this severe?? I would appreciate expertise. Thanks hj

2. Rigid orthoses may be made for children as young as 3 years to improve their symptoms and hopefully prevent progression of their pes valgus deformity. You could also add varus heel and arch wedges with adhesive felt or some other suitable material to get a similar effect if the parent can't afford a custom foot orthoses. Also some labs make "kiddy orthotics" that are premade so that you can modify them to work quite well also. High top shoes help greatly with this age group. If you have access to a medical library, the chapter I did with Don Green 14 years ago on this subject gives an excellent review of the biomechanics of pediatric flatfoot deformity and its treatment (Kirby KA, Green DR: Evaluation and Nonoperative Management of Pes Valgus, pp. 295-327, in DeValentine, S.(ed), Foot and Ankle Disorders in Children. Churchill-Livingstone, New York, 1992). This book is out of print unfortunately. However, I do have the chapter as a 3 MB pdf file if your e-mail server will allow this large of a file to be uploaded.

3. Heather J Bassett

3yo

Kevin thanks for your continued expertise on this forum. Great to get your opinion on this case. Yes I should be able to recieve your file. would be grateful if you can send it. thanks hj

4. If you want the chapter sent via e-mail, I will need your e-mail address.

5. podomania

podomania Active Member

Dr. Kirby, would it be possible for you to send the chapter to me as well? I am the Podiatrist from Greece- Lefteris. I would be greatful. My email is: vogias21@otenet.gr
    Thank you very much

6. Mark Egan

Mark Egan Active Member

Hi hj---ray
    Are you planning to use other Rx modalities for this case?
    You mentioned he is very weak in the plantar flexors and invertors making it difficult for him to toe walk and heel raise. Do you think it is caused by soft tissue issues i.e. weakness or could their be a bone structural issue or even both. Were you able to reduce his deformity?

It sounds like he needs the devices described by Kevin as well as appropriate footwear, but I would also be looking at exercises to improve the musculature within the foot and the leg. The trick is how do you get a 3 year old to do exercises without it becoming a chore and driving the parents crazy?
    The types of exercises I get all of my paediatric patients are -
    1. when cleaning the teeth stand on the toes for 20 seconds or one side of the mouth.
    2. Dancing on the balls of the feet.
    3. picking up items i.e. clothes, pencils with their toes.

etc...

You could even refer them onto to a good physio if you are not comfortable giving exercises. The orthotics will only work when they are wearing them the exercises are a vital part of any child's treatment.

cheers

mark

7. podomania

podomania Active Member

Dr. Kirby I sincerely thank you.You were so motivated on sending this chapter, that i received it 14 times!! :)
    (I supose it was a wird internet-error)
    Thanks again

8. Looks like I need another e-mail program....it says there was an error in sending the e-mail and stays in my outbox, even though it is apparently sent successfully. I haven't had problems with Outlook Express before....any suggestions?

9. Heather J Bassett

Thanks for your input mark,, I will be adding the excercises, the appropriate ftwr and the deformity was able to be reduced. Young lad is yet to return. Podomania recieved your email 14 times Kevin but I guess my provider will not let me recieve it?? I have not had noticication not computer literate enough to know how it works, sorry, cheers hj

10. HJ-Ray:

As I stated earlier, you need to provide me with an e-mail address before I can send anything to you via e-mail. E-mail is no different than snail mail, people can't send you anything unless they know your address! :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  11. Heather J Bassett

Hi Kevin, I had asked Administrator C.P. to forward address, he had replied that he had done so, sorry I thought you had it. First--ray@hotmail.com
    regards hj

12. Heather J Bassett

Kevin recieved your email, thanks heaps for your patience and expertise, regards hj

13. mabel

mabel Welcome New Poster

May I have the Chapter ?

Hello Kevin,
    I have a similar case:a 9 yo boy has flatfoot and scoliosis. It would be great if you can also sent the Chapter that you mentioned to me. I really appreciate your help :) . My email address is mabelqiu@yahoo.com.
    Mabel

14. Jonatan García

Jonatan García Active Member

Management of Pes Valgus

Esteemed Dr. Kirby,

I have tried to obtain this chapter without success (Kirby KA, Green DR: Evaluation and Nonoperative Management of Pes Valgus, pp. 295-327, in DeValentine, S.(ed), Foot and Ankle Disorders in Children. Churchill-Livingstone, New York, 1992) for what it be be to him very grateful if it could order it him to my also for e-mail.

My e-mail is: jgarcia@umh.es

Thank you very much,

Jonatan

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2006
  15. Tim VS

Tim VS Active Member

16. Liz C

Liz C Member

Hi Kevin, I know this post is very old but if you still have that chapter on file I would love a copy.

questpodiatry@gmail.com.au

Thanks in advance!

17. rkpod

rkpod Welcome New Poster

Hi Kevin

I have been looking for a copy of this book with out success
    (Kirby KA, Green DR: Evaluation and Nonoperative Management of Pes Valgus, pp. 295-327, in DeValentine, S.(ed), Foot and Ankle Disorders in Children. Churchill-Livingstone, New York, 1992)

As the previous person pointed out this is an old post but if possible I would really appreciate a copy of this chapter. I am in a rural area and don't have access to Uni library.
    My email is rebeccakpodiatry@gmail.com

thanks heaps

18. björn

björn Active Member

One more for the email on the chapter if you don't mind Kevin! :)
    Please email to glenpodiatry@gmail.com

Thank you!

19. Bjorn, Rebecca and Liz:

Hope you enjoy the chapter. Just remember when you read it, I wrote it over two decades ago.

20. melwu

melwu Welcome New Poster

Hi Kevin,
    Sounds interesting! I have been unsuccessful finding the chapter, would you mind sending into my email also?
    melaniefwu@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    Mel

21. Hope you enjoy the chapter, Mel. If you attend my lecture in Townsville next August, please introduce yourself to me.:drinks

22. chan

chan Welcome New Poster

Hi Kevin,

Would you mind sending a copy of the chapter to me as well? My email is: arielh0123@gmail.com

Thanks a lot !