Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Reflexology research

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Ian Linane, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi

In the last year people, who have rightly been critics of some of the views / claims expressed by reflexologists have also expressed an interest in perhaps understanding more of it.

Certainly the question has been put to me about diagnosing with reflexology and I clearly stated that such is not possible, however, certain "hot spots" might suggest potential areas of concerns and if these did not respond relatively quickly to reflexology treatment then certainly referral on is appropriate. The following may or may not be of interest.

17 year old girl with recurring abdominal pain and and quite marked mood swings. Awareness of her medical history revealed nothing of immediate alarm to prevent any reflex' being done. Of interest is that all the "hotspots" were very much located in areas that I have come to understand to be representative of the endocrine system, most particularly the pituitary and ovary reflex points being acutely sensitive to even the lightest touch whereas, just a few millimetres away, from those reflex areas all was very calm.

Post treatment, for the following week ,the person felt far less abdominal discomfort and calmer in themselves (I am well aware of placebo possibility). However, such was the sensitivity to touch in those very specific areas that advice was given as to seek a medical opinion. Duly sought, a diagnosis of polycystic ovaries was given and the pt will likely go on for further investigation and oral medication. Equally they will also receive reflexology in the meantime.

No diagnosis but awareness raised and of interest was that the hot spots seemed, again consistent with other experience, to indicate an area of physiological concern.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Related threads:
    Other threads tagged with reflexology.

3. Andyflower

Andyflower Welcome New Poster

It's obvious you are not well informed about reflexology and the benefits it offers others..we are not doctors or ministers nor do we say we are..don't judge all by a few crackpots...don't knock it till you try it... maybe with some reflexology you wouldn't be so skeptical...

Thanks.

4. blinda

blinda MVP

Hey Andy,

Tip: it`s always a good idea to check out previous posts from a contributor to get the gist of where they actually stand on any given subject, before you jump to conclusions. The reflexology link that Admin put up could give you a clue:rolleyes:

I have personally benefited from Ian`s reflexology in the past and respect his balanced view on this fascinating topic.

Cheers,
    Bel

5. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hi Andy

Welcome. Damn am I that obvious?!

And thanks Bel.

Andy. I have no idea whether you come at this from a pure reflexologists point of view or a Podiatrist who practices refelxology. However I seem to have succeeded in iritating you.

Certainly your input on reflexology would be valued. Do be aware though that any categorical statements made will be challenged by many others so be prepared to duck. It is not always because they are anti reflexology they simply want some kind of evidence they can measure and weigh that may support your view, after all we are dealing with human being who maywell have serious conditions.

In the realms of reflexology, although some research is conducted, there is a dearth of the more gold standard approach so we are often reliant on considered anecdotal approaches at times.

Cheers
    Ian

6. toddao

toddao Welcome New Poster

For me the key to reflexology is to be be aware that such painful points exist and may not be due for localized reasons. This can prevent you from treating a foot that does not need treatment and wasting everyones time and money.

Here is the U.S. chiropractors have made great study of these points and using their resources can be wise as they explain using vocabulary and concepts that builds on a podiatry education more so then the explanations offered by a reflexologist (not that reflexologists are wrong only that you may have to explain yourself to another podiatrist at some point)

7. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Toddao

Do you not think that if palpating painful points on the ear, hands and feet was a reliable sign to indicate the presence of many common medical problems that it would be widely used by the medical profession? And if these points were reliable indicators wouldn't it be easy to show in a well designed research study? There are many such signs, diagnostic, prognostic pathognomonic (oh and Anamnestic - signs of past disease) similarly used by medics,which are not distinctly 'reflexology' so this mode is a useful diagnostic tool and is not ignored by medical professionals. Why would medics ignore these signs, which like other signs would be manifestations of disease, if they were so useful and reliable?? They are quick and easy to learn so that's not a problem in itself.

Regards Dave Smith

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  8. toddao

toddao Welcome New Poster

since you seem to be asking me:

Medics ignore them because there are signs and symptoms of disease that are much more obvious and easy to find then points on the feet. They also ignore them because these days its important to be able to prove your findings in a court room or before a board and claiming your diagnosis and treatment plan is based on a sore spot on a foot is not good enough especially when after the fact parties can offer other explanations for the pain that seem more in concert with their own training.

9. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

That seems to be an argument against reflexology.
    So reflexology signs are quite vague then.
    So there's no proof that these signs correlate to the disease they are supposed to indicate.
    So why use them at all?

If the reflexology signs were only fairly reliable, i.e. perhaps sensitive but not too specific, like many signs are, you could use them to go to a more specific test. So the question still stands, why wouldn't medics use them routinely if there are as useful as is contended.

This thread is generally about validating reflexology. Wouldn't the best way to do that be research and if research showed a significant correlation between the signs and the disease then wouldn't this validate the use in any terms, court, or clinic. Once validated then all the points you put forward above don't stand up.

Cheers Dave