Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Runners World Survey

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by admin, Mar 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Runners World magazine (Australia) conducted an online survey of runners. As this is a self selceted sample, it could be considered not representative, but there were some interesting numbers in it. 2362 runners responded (only 37.5% were male!).

Among the results were:

Distance run each week:
    <20km 24%
    20-34km 38%
    35-49km 21%
    50-74km 12%
    75-99km 2.5%
    >100km 0.8%

Injuries in past 12 moths:
    Knee 21.3%
    ITB 12.9%
    Shoulder 6.%
    Plantar fasciitis 8.7%
    Foot 9.7%
    Shin splints 10.5%
    Achilles 9.0%
    Low back 14.5%

Treatments:
    No treatment 19.2%
    Self treatment 28.4%
    Massage 32.3%
    Podiatrist 11.7%
    Osteopath 7.1%
    Sports Med dr 9.5%
    GP 6.4%
    Physio 38.1%
    Chiropractor 9.4%

Brand of running shoes:
    adidas 11.0%
    Asics 61.4%
    Brooks 27.7%
    New Balance 11.3%
    Mizuno 9.9%
    Nike 17.3%
    Puma 1.1%
    Reebok 1.3%
    Saucony 6.1%
    Newton 1.1%

Vibram 0.3%

What influenced yor descion to buy a certain brand of running shoe:
    Recommendation from a podiatrist 22.4%

Recommendation from a sales person 45.0%
    Recommendation from another runner 25.7%
    Runners world shoe guide 27.2%
    Advertsiing in runners world 5.9%
    Advertsiing in other magazine 2.5%
    Read about them online 11.4%
    Endorsement by an elite athlete 2.9%

2. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

INTERESTING!

3. I got a little bit of a chuckle from this one. With all the medial attention (and attention from a few here on Podiatry Arena) about Vibram shoes, and about how great Vibrams are, with Vibrams being more natural and such, and then seeing that runners are over 200 times more likely to be running in Asics brand shoes than in Vibrams. Like I said before.....everyone is talking about the barefoot thing....but virtually no-one is doing it! What a joke!

4. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

It sure seems that way Kevin doesn't it? I've yet to have one runner in the office who actually runs barefoot, which surprised me given the fervor of that thread on barefoot running. Its not a knock on the adherents to the genre just an observation.

I need to buy Asics stock immediately, just sayin'!

5. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

That's because they are all injury free David.......we are obselete;)

Robin

6. Ben

Ben Member

One stark thing that I noticed was the % of injured patients seeing Physio. I think this is an area the professional associations need to do a much better job of promoting the Podiatry profession in Australia. I think Podiatry should/would want a greater % of those injured runners coming through our doors!

Any one else with similar thoughts?

7. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Ben, there are about 2000 registered Pods in Australia and at least 15,000 physios, so the result is actually quite good.

A Pod to Physio ratio of 1:7.5
    A use of Pod to Physio ratio 1:3.3

so really people are twice as likely to seek the services of a podiatrist, there just aren't enough of us.