Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Dieter Fellner, Oct 20, 2004.

1. eddavisdpm

eddavisdpm Active Member

The last two papers are interesting in that ESWT was applied to patients with heel pain but not for the primary indication of ESWT, plantar fasciosis.

There is no documented effect of ESWT on acute tendinitis nor fasciitis and the first paper confirms that.

The second paper is a bit odd in that the radiographic criterion of heel spurs was used. The spur itself is not the cause of pain although it is likely that when radiographic evidence of a spur exists, there has been long term strain of the plantar fascia at its attachment. The relative success of the treatment in this study is not to be unexpected since it is more likely that long term plantar fasciitis had been treated. Sonographic evidence of fasciosis would have been a more logical inclusion criterion in my opinion.

2. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Comparative Effectiveness of Focused Shock Wave Therapy of Different Intensity Levels and Radial Shock Wave Therapy for Treating Plantar Fasciitis: a Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis.
    Chang KV, Chen SY, Chen WS, Tu YK, Chien KL.
    Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012 Mar 12.

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    Extracorporeal shockwave therapy in musculoskeletal disorders.
    Wang CJ.
    J Orthop Surg Res. 2012 Mar 20;7(1):11.

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Extracorporeal shock wave therapy in patients with plantar fasciitis. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial
    Babak Vahdatpour, Sepideh Sajadieh, Vahid Bateni, Mehdi Karami, Hamidreza Sajjadieh
    Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, Vol 17, No 9 (2012)

5. eddavisdpm

eddavisdpm Active Member

This article is of high value, in my opinion, as it utilizes an objective and measurable parameter to determine the effects of ESWT on tissue.

What makes so-called "intractable"plantar fasciitis intractable? We all see many patients who have had heel pain "for years" and who claim "nothing is working." Such patients often fall into three categories:
    1) Plantar fasciiits in which there remain a biomechanical/pathomechanical issue not adequately addressed.
    2) Plantar fasciosis.
    3) Heel pain of an etilogy other than plantar fasciitis...Baxter's neuritis, RA, tarsal tunnel syndrome, etc.

Sonography should be considered the gold standard for examination of the plantar fascia as it is relatively quick, simple and a fraction of the price of an MRI. It allows one to differentiate acute plantar fasciitis. chronic plantar fasciitis, plantar fascial tears, occasionally Baxter's neuritis if instrument resolution is adequate.

Thinning and remodeling of the plantar fascia has been a consistent finding in my approximately 10 years of ESWT use. I only perform ESWT if sonography demonstrates findings consistent with fasciosis.

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy for Treatment of Delayed Tendon-Bone Insertion Healing in a Rabbit Model; A Dose-Response Study
    Dick Ho Kiu Chow et al
    Am J Sports Med October 17, 2012

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Extracorporeal shock wave therapy in patients with plantar fasciitis. A randomized, placebocontrolled trial with ultrasonographic and subjective outcome
    assessments

Babak Vahdatpour, Sepideh Sajadieh, Vahid Bateni, Mehdi Karami, Hamidreza Sajjadieh
    Journal of Research in Medical Sciences; September 2012

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Effectiveness of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy in Chronic Plantar Fasciitis: A Meta-analysis.
    Dizon JN, Gonzalez-Suarez C, Zamora MT, Gambito ED.
    Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2013 Apr 2.

9. NewsBot

Articles:
  10. Walking1

Walking1 Member

I have found ESWT to be a good adjunct to our practice. We have had good results with its use on PFI and Achilles tendonitis however it is often used as part of a treatment package that may include Orthotics and or strapping.

11. danielywu

danielywu Active Member

Since medicine is a science, its equation of “Diagnosis+Treatment=Cure” must be constant. Curing is a matter of knowing pathology and providing treatment. For curing the conditions of heel fibrositis and plantar fasciitis, treatment is often the missing part of the equation. I believe foot orthotics is the next best treatment concept to complete rest which is impractical and thus ineffective. But effective orthotics requires correct design principle.
    The purposes of foot orthotics are to reduce the impact force on injured and inflamed fibrous tissue of the heel and also reduce the traction force on injured and inflamed plantar fascia in walking. In order to do so, the mechanical principle designed into the orthotics has to be sound.
    The impact-softening principle in cushioning in-soles has not worked well because the end point of total compression force on the injured heel during heel strike and stance phase is not changed. Then the effect of cut-out hole principle has not been consistent either because it would not be able to reduce traction force for the plantar fasciitis condition. Secondly, often the site of heel pad fibrositis may not be in the center of the heel. In addition, the diverted impact to the small surrounding rim area is neither sufficient nor comfortable.
    However, I have found the weight-sharing principle with rigid total-contact foot orthotics to dramatically increase the total weight bearing surface and also its rigid arch support to help reduce traction force on the plantar fascia in walking. The validity of this mechanical principle can be confirmed by patients feeling reduction in pressure and pain of their heels immediately in standing. If it is not the case then either the orthotics could not provide the rigid total contact effect or the diagnosis was wrong, because the cause-and-effect in science should always be exact and constant. I have also found the ready-made rigid total-contact foot orthotics of GloboTec Patricia model by Bauerfeind from Germany worked extremely well except for its standard arch height would not be sufficient for pes cavus feet. Custom-made orthotics are rarely needed for my practice and cannot ensure consistence in my part of world. I always fit theses orthotics for patients myself to confirm its immediate response in standing. Such practice has ensured appropriate treatment and provided convenience for patients. Actually, my patients used only occasional medications and physiotherapy, rarely injections, never shockwave therapy and surgeries.

12. Walking1

Walking1 Member

I am glad to read that you have such great success with you form of treatment and I intend to somewhat agree with your basic assessment of rigid Orthotics however I have been in this profession for 43 years and I can assure you that it is wise to have up your sleeve as many treatment regimes as possible. Not everyone responds to your favourite form of treatment and so I do find that some cases of chronic PFI responds well to the use of ESWT.

13. NewsBot

Articles:
    Dose-Related Effect of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis
    Su-Jin Lee, MD, Jung-Ho Kang, MD, Ja-Young Kim, MD, Jin-Hong Kim, MD, Seo-Ra Yoon, MD, and Kwang-Ik Jung, MD
    Ann Rehabil Med. 2013 Jun;37(3):379-388. English.

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    Radial shock wave therapy for plantar fasciitis: a one year follow-up study.
    Ilieva EM.
    Folia Med (Plovdiv). 2013 Jan-Mar;55(1):42-8.

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    A systematic review of shockwave therapies in soft tissue conditions: focusing on the evidence
    Cathy Speed
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsports-2012-091961

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    THE EFFECTIVENESS OF EXTRACORPOREAL SHOCKWAVE THERAPY FOR CHRONIC PLANTAR FASCIITIS: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW
    Wirix L., Walgraeve J., Soete H., De Schepper J.
    World Congress of Podiatry; October 17-19 Rome, Italy

17. NewsBot

Articles:
  18. NewsBot

Articles:
    Treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis with extra corporeal shock wave therapy: ultrasonographic morphological aspect and functional evaluation
    Roberto Androsoni, Alfonso Apostólico Netto, Rafael Rocha Macedo, Ricardo Pozzi Fasolin, Guilherme Boni, Rodrigo Fileto Gavaldão Moreira
    Revista Brasileira de Ortopedia (English Edition); Available online 3 January 2014

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    Is extracorporeal shock wave therapy clinically efficacy for relief of chronic, recalcitrant plantar fasciitis? A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo or active-treatment controlled trials
    Meng-chen Yin, Jie Ye, Min Yao, Xue-jun Cui, Ye Xia, Qi-xing Shen, Zheng-yi Tong, Xue-qun Wu, Jun-ming Ma, Wen Mo
    Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; Available online 21 March 2014

20. NewsBot

Articles:
    Therapeutic effect of extracorporeal shock wave combined with orthopaedic insole on plantar fasciitis
    Yan W, Sun S, Li X.
    Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2014 Dec;39(12):1326-30.

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    The effects of extracorporeal shock wave therapy on stroke patients with plantar fasciitis
    Tae Gon Kim, Sea Hyun Bae, Gye Yeop Kim, Kyung Yoon Kim
    Journal of Physical Therapy Science; Vol. 27 (2015) No. 2 February p. 523-526

22. björn

björn Active Member

only read the abstract, but that conclusion sounds interesting, given the improvement was better with 30 minutes of stretching (!!) 5 days a week for 6 months (Who complies that vigorously??).

23. Walking1

Walking1 Member

I do agree with the research in that we do at my practice combine a stretching regime as part of the shock wave treatment structure however maybe not to that intensity.

24. Don ESWT

Don ESWT Active Member

And so, it appears that you lot still cannot come to a definite conclusion on ESWT.
    I know it works for some and not for other patients. My results have been the same since 1998
    92% male and 65% female or 80% success overall. FOOTWEAR,FOOTWEAR,FOOTWEAR... and compliance post treatment

The latest project I am involved with is a radial arm 3D scanner for the fabrication of Medical Grade Footwear, Orthotics and AFO's

It scans form knee to toe, not just the plantar surface of the foot. Entire scanning system including Laptop is $4,000.00 AUD. It produces PLY.Files, STL.Files. You can use our lab or the Lab of your choice. No minimum per month and no monthly fees.

Don Scott
    Grafton
    NSW

25. daisyboi

daisyboi Active Member

It's an interesting paper but it draws a conclusion that is not supported by their research. Since there was no group with a treatment intervention of only ESWT then the conclusion "extracorporeal shock wave therapy reduced tension in the plantar fascia, relieving pain and improving gait ability in stroke patients." cannot be supported. How do we know these changes were not due to the stretching or even just to the passage of time?

26. NewsBot

Articles:
    Clinically Relevant Effectiveness of Focused Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy in the Treatment of Chronic Plantar Fasciitis
    A Randomized, Controlled Multicenter Study

Hans Gollwitzer, MD; Amol Saxena, DPM; Lawrence A. DiDomenico, DPM; Louis Galli, DPM; Richard T. Bouché, DPM; David S. Caminear, DPM; Brian Fullem, DPM; Johannes C. Vester ; Carsten Horn, MD; Ingo J. Banke, MD; Rainer Burgkart, MD; Ludger Gerdesmeyer, MD
    J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2015 May 06; 97 (9): 701 -708 .
    Editorial on the above

27. NewsBot

Articles:
    Prognostic factors of extracorporeal shock wave therapy for tendinopathies.
    Notarnicola A, Maccagnano G, Tafuri S, Fiore A, Margiotta C, Pesce V, Moretti B.
    Musculoskelet Surg. 2015 May 16

28. NewsBot

Articles:
    Dose related effects of extracorporeal shockwave therapy in patients with plantar fasciitis
    Mikisha j Prajapati, Nehal Shah.
    IJTRR. 2015; 4(4): 164-166doi: 10.5455/ijtrr.00000083

29. NewsBot

Articles:
    Extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) for refractory Achilles tendinopathy: a prospective audit with 2-year follow up
    James Taylor et al
    The Foot; Article in Press

30. NewsBot

Articles:
    Current evidence of extracorporeal shock wave therapy in chronic Achilles tendinopathy.
    Gerdesmeyer L, Mittermayr R, Fuerst M, Al Muderis M, Thiele R, Saxena A, Gollwitzer H
    Int J Surg. 2015 Aug 29.

31. NewsBot

Articles:
    Repetitive shockwave therapy improves muscular microcirculation
    Tobias Kisch et al
    Journal of Surgical Research 30 November 2015

32. NewsBot

Articles:
    Approaches to optimize focused extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) based on an observational study of 363 feet with recalcitrant plantar fasciitis
    R. Scheuer et al
    International Journal of Surgery; Article in Press

33. Louelle

Louelle Member

Personal clinical observation - ESWT is very effective for plantar fibromatoma, does anyone else have experience with this?

34. NewsBot

Articles:
    A review of the cellular and molecular effects of extracorporeal shockwave therapy
    G. A. Chamberlain, G. R. Colborne
    Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology (VCOT); 2016

35. NewsBot

Articles:
    Influence of two conservative treatment methods on foot health status in men with chronic calcaneal spur: A randomized controlled study
    Paweł Lizis et al
    Kontakt; 28 February 2016

36. NewsBot

Articles:
    COMPARISON OF RADIAL SHOCK WAVE THERAPIES WITH TWO
    DIFFERENT FREQUENCY AND DENSITY ON HEEL PAIN

Selnur NARİN et al
    Vol 22, No. 12;Dec 2015

37. NewsBot

Articles:
    Success and Recurrence Rate after Radial Extracorporeal Shock
    Wave Therapy for Plantar Fasciopathy: A Retrospective Study

Nikos Malliaropoulos, et al
    BioMed Research International Volume 2016, Article ID 9415827, 8 pages

38. NewsBot

Articles:
    Historical ESWT Paradigms Are Overcome: A Narrative Review
    Heinz Lohrer et al
    BioMed Research International; Volume 2016, Article ID 3850461

39. NewsBot

Articles:
    Cadaveric experiments to evaluate pressure wave generated by radial shockwave treatment of plantar fasciitis
    Srdjan Cirovic et al
    Foot and Ankle Surgery; 26 August 2016

40. NewsBot

Articles:
    Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy Accelerates Regeneration After Acute Skeletal Muscle Injury
    Angela Zissler et al
    Am J Sports Med October 11