Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Alfredson's "prescription" for achilles tendinopathy

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by emoclew, Mar 30, 2006.

1. emoclew

emoclew Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Can anybody please fill me in on the Anderson set of exercise for achilles tedinopthay? I really like the idea of use a set prescription as a starting point.

Thanking you
    Lisa

2. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

Do you mean the old stanish & curwin program?

3. GarethNZ

GarethNZ Active Member

I think that you might be meaning the Alfredson techinque. Single leg eccentric drop downs off a step...3x15 reps...

have to fly so will explain later when I have some time

G

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Alfredson’s Achilles workout
    http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendonitis-1.html

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Re: Anderson "prescription" for achilles tendinopathy

Eccentric exercise in treatment of Achilles tendinopathy
    Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
    Volume 17 Issue 2 Page 133 - April 2007

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Re: Alfredson’s "prescription" for achilles tendinopathy

Eccentric training in Achilles tendinopathy: is it harmful to tendon microcirculation?
    Karsten Knobloch
    British Journal of Sports Medicine 2007;41:e2

7. NewsBot

Articles:

Eccentric overload training in patients with chronic Achilles tendinopathy: a systematic review
    J J Kingma, R de Knikker, H M Wittink and T Takken
    British Journal of Sports Medicine 2007;41:e3

8. Admin2

9. Asher

Asher Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me where I can find pictures of the Alfredson's exercises that I can give to patients.

Rebecca

10. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Try this Google images search.

11. NewsBot

Articles:

Chronic Achilles Tendinopathy: Prospective Randomized Study Comparing the Therapeutic Effect of Eccentric Training, the AirHeel Brace, and a Combination of Both
    Wolf Petersen, Robert Welp, and Dieter Rosenbaum,
    The American Journal of Sports Medicine 35:1659-1667 (2007)

12. NewsBot

Articles:

Eccentric calf muscle training in athletic patients with Achilles tendinopathy.
    Maffulli N, Walley G, Sayana MK, Longo UG, Denaro V.
    Disabil Rehabil. 2008 May 10:1-8. [Epub ahead of print]

13. NewsBot

Articles:

New regimen for eccentric calf-muscle training in patients with chronic insertional Achilles tendinopathy: results of a pilot study
    P Jonsson, H Alfredson, K Sunding, M Fahlström, J Cook
    British Journal of Sports Medicine 2008;42:746-749

14. NewsBot

Articles:

Eccentric calf muscle exercise produces a greater acute reduction in Achilles tendon thickness than concentric exercise
    Nicole L Grigg, Scott C Wearing, and James E Smeathers
    BJSM Published Online First: 19 November 2008

15. NewsBot

Articles:

Eccentric exercises for the management of tendinopathy of the main body of the Achilles tendon with or without the AirHeel Brace. A randomized controlled trial. A: effects on pain and microcirculation.Knobloch K, Schreibmueller L, Longo UG, Vogt PM.
    Disabil Rehabil. 2008;30(20-22):1685-91.
    Eccentric exercises for the management of tendinopathy of the main body of the Achilles tendon with or without an AirHeel Brace. A randomized controlled trial. B: Effects of compliance.Knobloch K, Schreibmueller L, Longo UG, Vogt PM.
    Disabil Rehabil. 2008;30(20-22):1692-6

16. Wendy

Wendy Active Member

I started to thank each posting but found it would be easier to just type thanks to Admin, Admin2 and Newsbot for all the info and to emoclew for starting the thread - very easy to incorporate into clinical practice.
    Wendy

17. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Active Member

ALFREDSON ACHILLIES PROGRAMME

{ADMIN NOTE: Threads merged}

Hi all,

How do we increase the weights in the alfredson programme? Is there a specific incrimental weight increase? or is it just a matter of increasing enough so that the exercises cause pain and when its no longer painful with that weight......increase the weight until it causes pain again? Is there no systematic way of increasing the weight is my question?????

CHEERS TO ALL IN ADVANCE,

FD

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
  18. NewsBot

Articles:

This clinical trial has just been registered:
    Resistance Training as Treatment of Achilles Tendinopathy

19. NewsBot

Articles:

Gender and eccentric training in Achilles mid-portion tendinopathy.
    Knobloch K, Schreibmueller L, Kraemer R, Jagodzinski M, Vogt PM, Redeker J.
    Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009 Dec 9. [Epub ahead of print]

20. LER

LER Active Member

Check out the article in the November issue of Lower Extremity Review on a four part approach to treating achilles tendinopathy. This clinical strategy for Achilles tendinopathy includes massage techniques that apply pressure along injured soft tissues to promote healing, as well as Mulligan taping for the control of pronation and management of symptoms.
    http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/achilles-tendinopathy-a-four-part-approach

21. jesspt

jesspt Member

Re: ALFREDSON ACHILLIES PROGRAMME

I am not aware of any research that looked at a sytematic increase in resistance for the eccentric training program. Most physical therapists will use a back pack loaded with weights until pain is reproduced with th eccentric portion of the exercise.

22. NewsBot

Articles:

One-year follow-up of a randomised controlled trial on added splinting to eccentric exercises in chronic midportion Achilles tendinopathy
    S de Jonge, R J de Vos, H T M Van Schie, J A N Verhaar, A Weir, J L Tol
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsm.2008.052142

23. newuser

newuser Welcome New Poster

Hi, I had a query regarding the number of sets and repetitions of the Alfreson prescription.

With weight lifting fewer reps at heavier weight are generally considered best for building muscle strength. It's also beneficial to train on alternate days for maximum strength gain.

I was wondering why the Alfredson recommends exercising every day instead of alternate days?
    Is it because of differences in building muscle strength or tendon strength where tendons benefit from more regular training?

Thanks

24. Tipsytoes

Tipsytoes Member

The point of the Alfredson program is not to strengthen the muscle, but more to stress the tendon so the body jumps in to beef it up. (jump-starting the repair process) That's why it doesn't follow the classic strengthening protocol.

If you want the patient's body to get to work you need to convince them that they are nagging their tissues like a parent nagging a child to clean their room. Telling the kid every other day to clean the room is less effective than nagging them every two hours...

Some patients like hearing the story of how Dr. Alfredson "discovered" the program named after him. They laugh, but it does seem to help them remember the purpose of the exercise protocol. (He was sharing a rural surgical coverage in Sweden. The other doctor didn't want to work on Dr. Alfredson's achilles because then he'd have to cover Dr. Alfredson's practice during the healing process, so Dr. Alfredson tried to stress his tendon enough to rupture it to force the other doctor to attend to him. Instead the increased stress convinced his body to repair it.)

You can find some good pictures in "Treat your own strains, sprains, and bruises" by Lindsay, Watson, Hickmott, Broadfoot, and Bruynel. Some patients like to borrow the book, so it's nice to have an extra copy or two around.

25. newuser

newuser Welcome New Poster

Thanks for the reply and a great story!

I guess it's not overusing the tendon as it's done in a way that doesn't cause micro tears, eg in the way playing a strenuous sport every single day would?

In other words it's gradual stress rather than sudden trauma.

26. NewsBot

Articles:

A 5-year follow-up study of Alfredson's heel-drop exercise programme in chronic midportion Achilles tendinopathy
    A van der Plas et al
    Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsports-2011-090035

27. NewsBot

Articles:

Chronic Achilles tendinopathy treated with eccentric stretching program.
    Verrall G, Schofield S, Brustad T.
    Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Sep;32(9):843-9.

28. NewsBot

Articles:

Effect of Eccentric Strengthening on Pain, Muscle Strength, Endurance, and Functional Fitness Factors in Male Patients with Achilles Tendinopathy
    Yu, JaeHo PhD, PT; Park, DaeSung PhD, PT; Lee, GyuChang PhD, PT
    American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation; 5 October 2012

29. NewsBot

Articles:

Effects of eccentric training on mechanical properties of the plantar flexor muscle-tendon complex
    Alexandre FOURÉ, Antoine NORDEZ, and Christophe CORNU
    Journal of Applied Physiology December 13, 2012

30. NewsBot

Articles:

Comparing two eccentric exercise programmes for the management of Achilles tendinopathy. A pilot trial
    Dimitrios Stasinopoulos, Pantelis Manias
    Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies Available online 12 December 2012

31. NewsBot

Articles:

COMPARING TWO ECCENTRIC EXERCISE PROGRAMMES FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF ACHILLES TENDINOPATHY. A PILOT TRIAL
    Dimitrios Stasinopoulos, Pantelis Manias
    Br J Sports Med 2013;47:e3

32. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any more consideration has been given to Alfredson's protocol for achilles tendonopathies?

Is there any scientific or quasi scientific rationale for 3 sets and 15 repetitions with leg straight and 15 repetitions with leg bent?

Did he give a suggested speed? Why did he select that speed?

The only way in which the exercises seem to be progressive is in incre

33. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any more consideration has been given to Alfredson's protocol for achilles tendonopathies?

Is there any scientific or quasi scientific rationale for 3 sets and 15 repetitions with leg straight and 15 repetitions with leg bent?

Did he give a suggested speed? Why did he select that speed?

The only way in which the exercises seem to be progressive is in increasing the weight over time.

Has anyone modified them to make them more progressive over time, eg increasing velocity of heel drop, increasing the number of sets or repetitions or no. of times per day, progressively including a concentric component, etc?

Bill

34. Deka08

Deka08 Active Member

Hi Bill,
    I found a slightly modified version which increases sets each week for 4 weeks. It also uses additional exercise (running) to load the tendon to a point of pain. I have good success with this (clinically - not conducting a high quality RCT) although I must say not always returning to 100%, patients are able to regain 90% of function, but struggle to shake the last 1 or 2 points on the VAPS.
    You are probably gonna ask me for the version I found. It's on the desktop of another work site, I won't be back there until Wednesday. I will try to remember to post it.
    I have no other help for your other questions but also find it interesting that there is no real increase in volume of reps/speed etc to allow for adaptation.

As a side, eccentric exercises can be useful for similar patella tendon repair. Maybe nothing new there.

As a second side, I recently came by some info regarding the use of vitamin C (not so new) and 1/2 a cup of jelly before exercises can assist in the rebuilding of tendon. If anyone has anything solid on this I would be keen for a read.

Regards
    Derek Condon

35. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Hi Derek,

If you do manage to get the modified Alfredson's it would be interesting to read it.

Thanks,

Bill

36. Admin2

Effectiveness of the Alfredson's Protocol Compared With a Lower Repetition Volume Protocol for Mid-portion Achilles Tendinopathy: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
    Stevens M, Tan CW.
    J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2013 Nov 21.

37. Blaise Dubois

Blaise Dubois Active Member

38. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Just a side note re: Achilles tendinopathy, tendinitis, tendinosis....

I have rarely, if ever, had a patient with a true Achilles Tendinopathy (tendinosis... pain and swelling at the watershed area) who was able to do even a single heel lift without considerable pain.
    Are we discussing a simple tendinitis or a true tendinopathy/tendinosis (these should be differentiated)

Steve

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  39. NewsBot

Articles:

Eccentric exercise training in chronic mid-portion Achilles tendinopathy: A systematic review on different protocols
    B. Habets and R. E. H. van Cingel
    Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports; Early View

40. NewsBot

Articles:

THE EFFECTS OF CONVENTIONAL PHYSICAL THERAPY AND ECCENTRIC STRENGTHENING FOR INSERTIONAL ACHILLES TENDINOPATHY
    Margaret Kedia, et al
    Int J Sports Phys Ther. Aug 2014; 9(4): 488–497.