Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Tarsal Somatic Dysfunction

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This powerpoint turned up in my alerts this AM. Make of it what you will....

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Williams

Bruce Williams Well-Known Member

I do this manipulation several times every day in clinic as an adjunct to Howard Dananberg's AJ manipulation technique. It works but rarely will hold without proper orthotic support. The lateral column does support the medial column. If it is not stable, midfoot compensations will continue IMO.
    Thanks for posting this Craig.
    Happy new year to all!
    Bruce

3. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Not sure that it is suggesting or saying anything new. Manipulation is not a technique I use, by choice, and when it comes to the cuboid have preferred using the principles of MWM (mobilisation with movement). These can be adapted quite well for the cuboid and quite specifically applied. Would also tend to do tarsal mobilisations in conjunction with it. Orthoses have not been something that have needed to figure in most instances. There again maybe a different patient population to Bruce's

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    What do you think of the term "tarsal somatic dysfunction"?

5. Bruce Williams

Bruce Williams Well-Known Member

I think it's a load if crap term. But, whatever floats their boat.
    Bruce

6. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Maybe not the best term but I do like the way, as a title, it perhaps shifts away from being cuboidcentric (is there such a word??). Ironically, despite the title, the approach then appears to be focused upon the cuboid manipulation.

7. daisyboi

daisyboi Active Member

I suspect the term is being used in an effort to define the tarsus as a complete unit, rather than isolating the cuboid etc. I agree though, its a pretty clumsy term. I have also seen the terms tarsal complex and motion segment used to try and communicate the concept that there is a relationship between the constituent parts. Whilst I don't particularly like Tarsal Somatic Dysfunction, I don't think I can offer a better term. The technique described on the other hand I use on a daily basis and find it works very well indeed. Like Ian I also often use MWM and I find no need for orthoses in these cases. That's my experience, for what its worth.