Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Silver Dressings -any evidence present?

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by jo_pod, Oct 16, 2009.

1. jo_pod

jo_pod Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello All,

I was looking through some researches done and there is still no reliable evidence regarding any silver dressings.
    I have found the aquacell ag being the most effective in terems of antimicrobial activity and time effectiveness - as reducing the infection and therefore the healing time.
    Is there any reliable source(s) to bring some good results or some new evidence regarding the silver dressings?
    Any clue would be really appreciated.

Jo

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. ladyfaye

ladyfaye Active Member

Hi Jo

Have you looked at the Diabetic Foot Journal for any articles published.Im certain....not 100% sure though that a few years ago when it became fashionable to use silver taht there were some research being bandied about.

On a personal note....I like silver dressings and have added them to my array of other dressings.For highly exudative wounds Aquacel Ag works really well.However I use Acticoat as well.So no preferance really...it depends on teh wound.I still use the old fashioned dressings such as Inadine and Iodoflex.

For any wound effective mangement begins with careful assessment and debridement etc and also teh otehr factors taht influence wound healing

Good luck with your search

Regards

Faye

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Assessment of the antimicrobial effectiveness of a new silver alginate wound dressing: a RCT.
    Trial C, Darbas H, Lavigne JP, Sotto A, Simoneau G, Tillet Y, Téot L.
    J Wound Care. 2010 Jan 14;19(1):20-26.

5. NewsBot

Articles:
    Topical silver for preventing wound infection.
    Storm-Versloot MN, Vos CG, Ubbink DT, Vermeulen H.
    Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Mar 17;3:CD006478.

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    From Latest Podiatry Today:

Silver In Wound Care: What You Should Know

Full article

7. footsiegirl

footsiegirl Active Member