Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Plantar plate, Plantar fascia and the transverse tie bar system.

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by mike weber, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Mike:

Thanks for this paper. I like the drawings and photographs of cadaver dissections and agree mostly with the explanations provided, including the reverse windlass. However, I would have described the mechanics of the plantar fascia/plantar plate on digital function somewhat differently.

I will add this paper to my lecture on the functions of the plantar fascia.:drinks

2. efuller

efuller MVP

Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1997; 79: 58-68
    Pathological anatomy and dynamic effect of
    the displaced plantar plate and the
    importance of the integrity of the plantar
    plate-deep transverse metatarsal ligament
    tie-bar
    G D Stainsby FRCS

I agree with Kevin on the paper. Excellent anatomy. Iffy on a couple of locations of theory especially the Plunger effect of claw toes. An interesting use of the word control. If the guy knew a little physics.

It really is amazing how people keep coming back to Hicks to reconfirm his ideas. I did.

Eric

3. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

Hicks was a hero - a perfect example of so very often one goes back to the very sources (as they say in Rock'n'Roll) - some of the older works are still incredibly valid. To give an example. We have probably all heard of Hilton's law - but where can you actually find the original verbatim words? They were lost from science in about 1890 - and reappeared in Freddie Woods Jones' book on the hand - published about 1940!

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Deep Transverse Metatarsal Ligament and Static Stability of Lesser Metatarsophalangeal Joints
    A Cadaveric Study

Bibo Wang, MD; Andrew Guss, BA; Ornusa Chalayon, MD; Kent N. Bachus, PhD; Alexej Barg, MD; Charles L. Saltzman
    Foot & Ankle International December 10, 2014

5. NewsBot

Articles:
    Tensile Properties of the Deep Transverse Metatarsal Ligament in Hallux Valgus: A CONSORT-Compliant Article
    Abdalbary, Sahar Ahmed PhD; Elshaarawy, Ehab A.A.; Khalid, Bahaa E.A.
    Medicine: February 2016 - Volume 95 - Issue 8 - p e2843

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Novel Ultrasound Anatomical Measurement of the Deep Transverse Metatarsal Ligament: An Intra-Rater Reliability and Inter-Rater Concordance Study
    María Del Mar Ruiz-Herrera et al
    J Clin Med. 2022 May 2;11(9):2553