Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Anyone heard of the syndesmosis bunion surgery?

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by through103, Mar 3, 2010.

1. through103

through103 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Has anyone heard of the Wu's syndesmosis bunion procedure? I think he is an orthopod in Hong Kong that perform this type of surgery with much success. The surgery I think involve in suturing the capsules of the 1st and 2nd MTPJ.

More info on their website at http://www.bunionsurgery.com.hk/

Anyone got any info about this procedure, please feel free to reply.

2. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Is this a form of mini-tightrope procedure?

ie pull the 1st MT over to the 2nd.

Case studies are interesting....

LL

3. Nat

Nat Active Member

It certainly sounds in concept like the mini tight rope procedure. I wonder what he is using to affect the syndesmosis? In the long postoperative x-rays you can see osseous proliferation in between the first and second metatarsal necks.

4. Frederick George

Frederick George Active Member

not new. DuVries was doing this in the 1960's. see his text

Cheers

5. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

6. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Years ago there was a residency director at a Hospital in Newark New Jersey that would use 2x0 tevdek and tie the 1st and 2nd met capsules together. He swore by it. I always assumed that the sutures pulled out as soon as the patient was weight bearing.