Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

What Books are in your Library??

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Thought some of you might want to see some of the books in my home office library (where I keep most of my books). This is the Biomechanics-Sports Medicine section of my library (with many books that are now out of print) that I have been accumulating over the past three decades.

Anyone else want to share photos of the books in their personal libraries?

2. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

I see some shared titles, particularly Human Walking, which I use a lot, and the old dark blue Biomechanics Examination Vol 1, which I don't (although I did, and it's a nice reminder of how things were).

Among the other books on my bookshelves - I can't in all honesty grace them with the library label are:
    Gait Analysis Theory and Application, Gait analysis Whittle (much-thumbed), Practical Stats for Medical Research, Basic Biomech of the Musculoskeletal System, Foot and Ankle Anatomy, Assessment of the Lower Limb, and McRae - Clinical Orthopaedic Examination - also much thumbed.

Also on my bookshelves - Rabbit Control, Trout and the sub-surface fly, The Working Lurcher, and of course Dave Whitlocks A Guide to Aquatic Trout Food.

3. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

Books that are essentials in my life are: The Freddy Wood Jones books of the 1940's - the hand and the foot. Aellio & Dean, Evolutionary Anatomy. A copy of Keith Moore, John Gosling's atlas. The Phylogeny of Vertebrate anatomy; The ontogenetic basis for anatomy; lastly - well, there is never lastly, Frank Netter's CD ROM.

4. efuller

efuller MVP

The book that I want and don't have Duchenne's 1865 book. There was a translated copy in the CCPM librayr printed around 1959. There were some wood cut plates that show the position of the foot after "faradic stimulation" of selected muscles. There was also a description of sinus tarsi syndrome.

Eric

5. Griff

Griff Moderator

Here you go Kevin - here's my shelfie. A work in progress and not quite as established as yours but at least they are in height order ;)

Attached Files:

6. Rob Kidd

Glad you have a copy of Chris's book on Clinical gait analysis. Chris, Kippen and myself shared the occasional beer or 10 in Fremantle, in the years that he lived there. Oddly, we passed at Rockhampton airport last year. He is a good Geordie!

7. blinda

blinda MVP

[​IMG]

Being relatively new to this foot malarky, much of my key books are `e`texts...However, I made the effort to dust this part of my bookshelf.

My favourite by far is;
    Rook's Textbook of Dermatology: 4 Volume Set - Print and Online Package
    Can`t beat a bit of Tony Burns (he`s Yorkshire; Says what `e likes & bladdy well likes what `e says). Have to confess to using the online version more than the print.

8. N.Knight

N.Knight Active Member

Like Bel, still a youngster so PDF pile is bigger than the book pile. I have to share the book self with the wife

Nick

Attached Files:

9. blinda

blinda MVP

Shameful really.

I'd love to have the hushed and smokey atmosphere associated with Parliament green leather chesterfield armchairs and heavily stacked hardwood bookshelves of the 19th Century gentlemens' club stylee, but my little shop just can't carry it off. My only 'retro' book there is my late mothers' 2nd ed of Understanding Nursing Care. Appreciated by those who have a hankering for 70's models.

Talking of old....I have just the thing to fill that looming gap on your bottom shelf, Nick. Although you're probably too young to remember Python's instant record collection.

10. N.Knight

N.Knight Active Member

I am sorry to admit I had to google it.

I agree is shameful that my Ipad is starting to have more books on, though planning to update my collection with Kevin and Simon's books

11. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Not necessarily whats in my library, but just back in the country and these are some of the ones were waiting on the door step for me on my return:

What the Foot?: a Game Changing Philosophy of Human Movement**
    Skeptical Inquirer; Jan/Feb issue
    The Critical Thinkers Dictionary: Biases, Fallacies and Illusions and what You Can do About them
    Its Called Dyslexia

....now have to find time to read them ...

** I will report hack on this one when I read and digested it (BUT, the first page I looked at talked about the perfect tripod of weightbearing, so its off to a really bad start)

Attached Files:

12. Dr. Steven King

Dr. Steven King Well-Known Member

Aloha,

Nice collection of past science and wear on your Root book Kevin.

I did not see any books of any of the shelves pertaining to advanced composites.

Perhaps it would make a good book topic since so many ParaOlympic racers are utilizing composites to go faster safer.

A hui hou,
    Steve

Attached Files:

13. I don't see any of my books on your shelves, Steve. Perhaps they would make it so you would realize that you don't need continually attempt to sell your "advanced composite" expensive insoles and boots with every single posting you make here on Podiatry Arena.

Really, Steve, you are hopeless salesman, nothing more, nothing less. Why don't you go peddle your products elsewhere where maybe somebody cares.:mad::butcher::bang:

14. Dr. Steven King

Aloha Kevin,

Well of course your books are on my nightstand.
    Not some dusty book shelf for them.

You claim me salesman, I feel renegade.

Dude composites rock.

A hui hou,
    Steve

15. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

my books

Book Title Lead Author Owner

Basic Anatomy & Physiology Rowett
    Cyriax Orthopaedic medicine Cyriax
    Foot and Ankle Surgery (2 Vol) Banks
    Fundamentals of paediatric orthopaedics Staheli
    Foot Orthoses Michaud
    Practical MSK Ultrasound McNally
    Orthopaedic Physical Assessment (2nd edn) Magee
    Anatomy & Physiology Seeley
    Clinical Biomechanics of the lower limb Valmassey
    Pediatric orthopedics and sports medicine Dormans
    Cunninghams Practical Anatomy Romanes
    MSK diseases IDKD
    Stretching Anderson
    Clinical Orthopaedics Jones
    Disorders of the heel RFT and ankle Ranawat
    Textbook of pediatric rheumatology Cassidy
    Biomechanical basis of human movement Hamill
    Sports medicine of the lower extremity Subotnick
    Atlas of foot and ankle sonography Adler
    Textbook of medicine Souhami
    Assessment of the lower limb Merriman
    Orthotics Redford
    Malalignment syndrome Schamberger
    Neuromusculatal examination Petty
    Clinical Orthopaedic Examination McRae
    The manufacture and use of the functional foot orthosis Anthony
    Gait analysis Whittle
    Diagnostic Ultrasound Hoskins
    Soft tissue injuries Windsor
    Acupuncture in Practice Campbell
    Handbook of basic clinical manipulation McCabe
    Cell tissue and disease Woolf
    Essentia;l medicine Read
    Traumatic disorders of the knee Siliski
    Normal and abnormal function of the foot (X2) Root
    Biomechanics of the foot and ankle Donatelli
    The Foot (2 Vol) Helal
    Foot and ankle disorders in Children De Valentine

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  16. Dr. Steven King

Aloha,

Good collection as well Peter,

But i must quote Dr. Kirby, "I don't see any of my books on your shelves,"

Books that are now for sale for you buy with your money and that has been proudly displayed in the center of Dr. Kirby's book shelf...

A Hui Hou,
    Steve

ps i did not see and advanced composite or mechanical engineering books on your shelves as well...

17. Podess

Podess Active Member

This is not a big collection as I use the internet a lot these days,

Attached Files:

18. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

He has a chapter written in De Valentines Foot and Ankle Disorders in Children.

19. Rob Kidd

How good to see books close to home. Merriman and Turner; Merriman was my head of school in Northampton - I taught Warren. Hylton Menz was on my staff in Sydney.

20. Here are the top two shelves of my book-case at work. Anyone who knows my work book case, will know that these have been tidied-up just for the photo's. I only did this so as to not upset Ian's OCD. The spineless one on the lower stack on the top shelf is Root vol. 2 I got more at home and a bottom shelf at work (I couldn't be arsed to tidy that one).

Attached Files:

21. Griff

Griff Moderator

I honestly don't know how you people live your lives like this...