Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Glasgow Rangers Playing in Sacramento!

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    We are excited here in Sacramento to have the Glasgow Rangers come to play our professional soccer (football) team, Sacramento Republic FC.

Interesting story about my relationship with the Glasgow Rangers: when my son, Keegan, (now 31 y/o) started to play on a competitive (traveling) soccer team here in Sacramento back in 1995 called the Elk Grove Rangers (named, of course, after the Glasgow Rangers), I requested some information on Podiatry Mailbase on the team from anyone who knew anything about the Glasgow Rangers.

Lo and behold, a couple of weeks later, our own Cameron Kippen mailed me a whole folder of information on the Glasgow Rangers across the pond for my son to learn more about his team's namesake. That was the beginning of my appreciation of international soccer and remember how excited I was to get information from so far away on my son's soccer team namesake. I'll never forget the kindness Cameron bestowed upon me and my son to help us learn more about the Rangers.

Thanks for that Cameron!! Keegan and I are going together to the Republic FC vs Rangers game tomorrow. Should be great fun!

http://www.sacrepublicfc.com/republic-fc-host-rangers-football-club-july-19/#.U8niefldUZ8

2. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I would seldom describe the football that Rangers play as fun;)

My favourite football match ever

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  3. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

I well recollect (several years ago) Rangers playing Celtic (the other Glasgow team with whom they have a "competitive" relationship), a semi-final at Villa Park the Birmingham club ground (there is another team but we don't speak about them). The Rangers and Celtic fans played their own favourite sports, namely getting legless and urinating on anybody within range, men, women and children. As an adjunct to this, they sharpened the edge of an old penny (a fairly heavy copper coin) and threw it at their opponents. When the police eventually managed to get them on the train they left a fair sprinkling of knuckle dusters, shivs, coshes, broken bottles (whusky) and the like.

Don't worry Kevin, they'll be on their best behaviour at Sacramento. Just be ready to dive onto the field to treat the broken legs, ribs and bite marks!

Cheers

Bill

PS. they do like their Bovril (beef tea drink) diluted with whusky) at half time

4. Soccer (football) hasn't quite gotten to the levels of fan enthusiasm that I'm sure is seen in the UK so I believe we will be fairly safe tonight in the stands. However, the interest is growing so maybe someday we can elevate ourselves into becoming more like our brethren across the pond and be "urinating on anybody within range, men, women and children". Sounds like a noble goal....:rolleyes::drinks

5. Rest easy, Kevin. That kind of affection is reserved solely for the English and Catholics. Can you do a match report with some photos, please? Especially if Sacramento win!

Kindest
    Mark

6. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

No, rest assured they were not racist/cathilophobic. They urinated publicly on anybody of any race or religion within range, including fellow supporters. I would have imagined that it was a 'normal' Scottish activity but working with a Scottish colleague at the time he informed me that it was largely limited to this particular group of people. Don't worry Kevin, the Stateside fans have a very long way to descend.

Cheers

Bill

7. I will be bringing my camera with telephoto. It is unusual for Sacramento to have such a high level football team (.e. Rangers) playing here. All of us fans here are hoping that the addition of our own professional team (Sacramento Republic FC) will lead to even more interest in the sport and a major league soccer team. Maybe give the USA another 12 years and we might be able make it to the final four of World Cup!

8. As promised, here are a few photos from the game. The game was tied 1-1 until the last minute when the Rangers scored the winning goal. Great game and we met a few Scottish fans who were traveling with the team on their rounds of the US and Canada. Lots of fun!