Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Are podiatrists over-represented in the courts?

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by LuckyLisfranc, Jan 31, 2006.

1. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Is it me, or other people slightly disturbed by the number of podiatrists accused of serious crimes, including murder, fraud and the like?

I just wonder if podiatry attracts some with a predisposition to crime - or are we no different to other professional groups? Cameron, you may have some knowledge of crime and the history of the profession?

It just seems that every other week there is a report of some serious offence allegedly made against a podiatrist.. :confused:

LL

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    My memory is a bit hazy on this, but some may recall that 20/20 story many years ago that did an expose on some Podiatrist's billing practices in New York (I think) - this was national TV in the USA -- there was a huge outcry from Podiatrists and podiatry organizations over this .... in the middle of all this, there was one statement from one podiatrist (sorry I have no idea now who it was) that made so much sense to me .... he said something like: "All it means now is that podiatry is part of the mainstream and has some credibility.... every other profession has had had their 60 Minutes or 20/20 expose, so we can now join them"!!

4. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

I do not believe that we are any better or worse than other professionsLike in other professions there are good,bad and mediocre in our profession..Where we do have trouble is that people see a bill for,say,200 dollars and they will think:All Dr.Foote did was cut my nails.Dr.MD submits same bill.......people will think:the.MD ran tests,drew bloods,etc.I am proud of what I do.I make a living,not a fortune.However,I love what I do.I took off a while from work due to health reasons.I had one lady who refused to have another podiatrist even LOOK at her foot in my absence.Mind you,she is diabetic with onychomycosis,neuropathy,PVD and as a bonus,a history of ulceration!That is worth all the $$$ in the world.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  5. amcheli

amcheli Member

I suggest that an empirical study of crime and the health profession correlation, would give a clear view of which health/medical profession produces the most "criminals"....would it be the most stressful one, or the one with the lowest profile, or the one with the lowest income or vice versa...