Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Orthotic warranty

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Ed_Norris, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Ed_Norris

Ed_Norris Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello folks,

I am in the process of market research for an orthotics lab, and the question came up.

In terms of podiatrist opinion, how valuable is a manufactures warranty on direct milled orthotics.

Pros:

1. Adds confidence in product for both patient and podiatrist.

2. Added Value of product.

Cons:

1. Orthotic lifespans depend entirely on their use.

Eg. The same orthotic may last 15 years for in a business shoe while lasting 6 months in the shoe of a fitness junkie.

2. Orthotics are often only required for a short period of time until the joint has been strenghtend / corrected.

A two year warranty on a shell that is only required for 6 months may result in a patient coming back to receive a prescription for a symptom that has already been corrected.

Additionally if the general consensus is that orthotics should be covered under warranty, what would a reasonable period be.

What are your opinions?

Thanks and kind regards,

Dean

2. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

I do not offer a warranty but excellent customer service. If I know it was my fault, I replace or repair at no charge. I use appropriate discernment. customers trust I will do the right thing for them.

Steven

3. Ed_Norris

Ed_Norris Member

Thanks for the response!

That sort of philosophy is pretty much along the lines of what my business partner had proposed.

From a marketing perspective, I was thinking a warranty would be a good idea but as you say it is probably better to build a relationship on trust and good judgment.

4. I offer a 6 month warranty at no charge, with lifetime guarantee on plastic core shells.
    Some labs only offer 3 months. 6 months seems to do the job.
    No need for an additional 2 year warranty.

A beneficial service is to offer some sort of pediatric plan which allows kids to have pairs to cover growth periods. A 3 pair pediatric plan works well and the customers love it...

5. Ed_Norris

Ed_Norris Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your input.

Am I right to assume that you are a practicing podiatrist who manufactures his own orthotics?

In your opinion would it be seen as an attractive feature of an independent lab to provide an explicit warranty or would a implicit customer service policy be more appropriate?

6. I'm a C.Ped. only...who provides orthotics wholesale to practitioners.
    I think it is best to have your warranty clearly spelled out so that everyone knows what they're working with.
    Hope that is helpful...glad to be of help to you if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

7. Agreed with Lab Guy, same working policy day to day.

The issue is, patients are often charged what they consider a lot of money for an orthotic prescription and the expectation of longevity can often be based upon that cost, not the actual price of a device.

Prescription and practitioner request are also very much linked to the level of abuse a device withstands. If a 2.6mm machined device or light graphite is requested for 240lb athlete running in mud...That is not a warranty issue when the inevitable occurs.

We honour shell fracture as a consequence of material failure for 12 months, But not due to inappropriately thought out prescription scripts. That lies with the clinician.

As a practitioner when previously using 50 - 60 device per month from external labs, the warranty was of no concern and certainly not a selling point. Consumer rights protect against faulty workmanship or material failure and that is more than satisfactory for me.