Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Goodbye, Leonard Nimoy...Live Long and Prosper

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Kevin Kirby, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    It was sad to see that my favorite television character of all time, Mr. Spock, make his final journey to the stars today. Leonard Nimoy/Mr. Spock, was probably the most talked about television actor/character on our elementary school playground soon after "Star Trek' started airing in 1966 when I was nine years old. Most of us considered Mr. Spock to be the heart and soul of the Star Trek series and the actor, Leanard Nimoy, was considered the best of the Star Trek actors in my young circle of friends.

My older brother and I would stay up late (all the way to 10 PM!) to watch the original Star Trek episodes, as did many of my friends and my brother's friends. It became an instant classic for many of us back in the late 1960's, even though the series only lasted three seasons. We would imitate the famous Vulcan hand sign and say "Live Long and Prosper" to each other, shoot each other with "photon torpedoes" and put our bicycles into "warp drive". In other words, we all thought that Star Trek was the coolest television show ever. When Star Trek was cancelled in 1969, none of us could believe it since, to us, it was the best show on television.

Now, to look back on those original Star Trek shows, with their crude special effects, I realize how far we have come in making science fiction television shows and movies appear more real. However, Star Trek, for my generation, was all about us being able to "transport" ourselves, once a week, into a different world where we could imagine living a life that simply, was like none other we could hope to inhabit.

Thank you, Leonard Nimoy, for bringing Mr. Spock to life nearly a half century ago for all us young boys and girls who loved Star Trek and what it represented for all of us...a glimpse into a science fiction future that we wished we could somehow become a part of.

And to all my podiatry colleagues around the world, in honor of Leonard Nimoy, and Mr. Spock.....Live Long and Prosper!

2. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Also Sprach Zarathustra Nimoy.

Bill

3. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

End of an era, the legend lives on.

Live long and prosper ....

4. feetrus

feetrus Member

I'm of the same "vintage" as Kevin, and believe that the original Star Trek series was the best! Leonard Nimoy will be missed.....but as Dieter says the legend lives on......

But to bring the post back to podiatry, I sincerely hope Mr Nimoy had his feet regularly checked.....

5. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

I too was saddened by the passing of Leonard Nimoy... his T.V (on screen) presence was unique & subsequently interesting to watch & listen. He had a look (even without the Vulcan ears) & a voice that was different. Whilst I wasn't on this planet when the original Star Trek series ran, fortunately there were repeats of these during the 80's. In fact the 1970's generation was fortunate to have aired a lot of classic T.V series (of the 60's) re-aired during the 80's i.e. The Twilight Zone, I Dream of Jeannie etc... (which don't today - well at least not on Australian non-pay T.V). There was also the Star Trek cartoon series which Leonard Nimoy contributed his voice to. His presence was spot on for the Science Officer of the Star Trek Enterprise, as it emanated a no B.S approach to investigation, research & science... in a Sci-Fi setting subsequently delving into unearthly/alien topics... thus giving the storyline more impact. No doubt because of this he obtained the following work...

Then there was another 1970's classic - In Search Of series (looking into mysterious phenomena & the paranormal) which Nimoy narrated. These were fascinating for someone young & interested in strange things & events... & Nimoy's presence made it that more interesting. In fact Rod Serling (who I admire for the writing & narration of the Twilight Zone series) was the original choice for this series... on his passing, Leonard Nimoy was selected.

Like I said, even without the Vulcan makeup he had a presence... put to good effect in this 1984 Bangles song - "Going Down To Liverpool"...

You get a sense that Susanna Hoffs wanted to develop some chemistry with Nimoy... but Spock wasn't having a bar of it ;)

It appears Leonard Nimoy's funeral is tomorrow... unfortunately William Shatner can't attend... http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainm...rd-nimoys-funeral/ar-BBi6aAi?ocid=mailsignout

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016