Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

USA trained podiatrist Rearfoot Reconstructive Surgery

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gk325, Mar 1, 2015.

1. gk325

gk325 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am currently 1.5 years into my 3 year surgical residency in the USA. I will receive a Rearfoot Reconstructive Certificate upon completion. I will have exposure in all aspects of surgery including Trauma (ankle, calcaneus, lisfranc...), Flatfoot reconstruction, Ankle replacements, Cavus foot reconstruction.
    I have begun looking into possible opportunities in Australia and New Zealand. It is my understanding that there were some recent rule changes allowing Podiatric Surgeons to function. I have checked out numerous official websites. Could somebody with some experience in this help me with some more information or point me in the right direction?

2. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

3. gk325

gk325 Member

I appreciate the help. I have already checked out those websites. It is all a lot of legal jargon. I was hoping for more of a boots on the ground type response. What is actually being performed? How much push back is there from Ortho? Is there any pending legal action? Is the future bright?

4. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Given we have under 30 in the whole country, it may be best to give the college a call as I don't think many frequent here. Medicine and allied health function very differently in Australia to the US so understanding what the differences are may be a good place to start.

Otherwise, maybe look up the fellows and make contact/email?

5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

This is true in the UK also. There is no reciprocal recognition between the profession in the USA and the Commonwealth countries.

Bill

6. reckles

reckles Member

Email me privately please. I practised in NZ for many years and still keep a practise certificate.... just in case.

reckles@nycpm.edu

7. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, and with an ongoing personal interest in the, largely absent, bureaucratic acknowledgment of international educational podiatric schooling, training &
    experience:

From the ACPS website:

"podiatrists from the United States of America who have completed a Podiatric Medical Education (CPME) accredited Podiatric Medicine and Surgery-36, are Certified in Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery (ABPS), and have a current and valid Certification from the ABPS are exempt from the three stage examination process of the ACPS. However, a mentorship program will still apply- see below for details regarding the mentorship program"

AND

A mentorship program for overseas-qualified podiatric surgeons will assist in the informal transmission of knowledge of the medical and surgical environment of the Australian workforce. A designated Fellow of the ACPS will be assigned to assist the candidate in this transmission. The length of the mentorship can be negotiated between both the candidate and the ACPS. A DOPS and DOCS assessment must be completed each month of the mentorship programme and submitted at a panel review meeting. The designated fellow is required to provide a report to the formal panel review meetings that are held every six months. The candidate may also be requested to provide feedback of the program. Usually the mentorship program can take 12-18 months, however this can be negotiated.

So, it might be 'possible' but I sense the DPM does not provide the ready made meal ticket, that one might (reasonably) expect.