Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

EPC Paper work

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Emmers, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Emmers

Emmers Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone know under the Chronic Disease Management Plan (what we all knew as EPC's) when you receive the completed Allied Health Referral Form, where the GP is meant to tick off that the patient has a GP Management Plan and Team Care Arrangements. In order for us to be paid by Medicare and for all our paperwork to be correct should the GP provide you with a copy of the care plan?

This is becoming an ongoing headache at our clinic. My understanding is that while they are encouraged to provide it they do no actually have to provide it. Our receptionist is constantly chasing GPs for this and I'm worried that they may start to get fed up with this if they believe that they don't need to provide it??

As a practitioner I appreciate a full medical history and something to let me know why they are being referred but I think they are under no obligation to give me it.

Does anyone know the legal answer?

Thanks

2. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

Yes you should have the care plan call Medicare they will tell you you have to have care plan to bulk bill
    We have the same headache always chasing up care plans

3. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Not sure what the answer to this is. When I was audited by Medicare all they wanted was the signed referral forms, nothing else...

4. APodC

APodC Active Member

As a result of our advocacy around this, we have a commitment from Medicare that podiatrists won't be penalised as long as they have a properly completed referral. This was due to member concerns about Dr's who might not be completing the requirements properly.

The referral does need to indicate that the GPMP and TCA have been completed and both Medicare and the APodC recommend that the care plan is provided for continuity of care reasons, albeit the care plan isn't part of the properly completed referral.

As always, members can contact their state association for further information and we can't stress how important it is that people become members of the association so we can continue to protect podiatrists in a system where medical lobbyists carry a significant voice.

5. Jo BB

Jo BB Active Member

This is not the answer though it may help. The patient must have a copy as they have signed a contract with the GP regarding there care plan. If the patient understands the dilemma they are quite happy for us to scan their copy for our records.

What is more difficult is DVA referrals which very rarely present with a care plan! It makes it so much easier and time efficient to prepare your own care plan [still necessary for DVA] for the patient to sign.