Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

2nd year LA undergrad notes/pointers.

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by timewoundsallheels, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all, know this is the wrong section but the student one is very quiet.

Just going into my 2nd year in the UK, was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me to some notes or general guidelines as we have the 1 hr exam and concomitant OSCE. The exam is case study based, but obviously there are set guidelines as per the NHS which will fame the basis of the questions.

What's the problem I hear you ask? Well my partner is 6 months pregnant and given I have a month with nothing to do I figure I'd rather revise for it now and take some of the pressure off then so to speak.

Call it time managment if you want. ;)

I've searched t'interweb and all I find are local trust guidelines for patients pre-nail avulsion.:hammer:

What's the problem I hear you ask? Well my partner is 6 months pregnant and given I have a month with nothing to do I figure I'd rather revise for it now and take some of the pressure off then so to speak.

Many thanks.

(If not actual notes then a pointer towards subject matter)

2. Adam Thomas

Adam Thomas Member

Hi

I work in the marketing dept. of the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists, saw your thread and asked our Professional Practice officers for there help, here what they both suggested:

"If you log in as a member onto our website www.feetforlife.org there are all sorts of guidelines if you search for them. There are also CPD pull outs around nail surgery. But primarily you should be reading around the subject using your university recommended course books such as Neals as these will be what your exams/OSCE will be based on."

Adam - SCP Marketing Dept.

3. Many thanks for your help Adam, I am a member of your site and will peruse now.

EDIT - Wow, there's some really good CPD stuff on there, thanks again mate.

4. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi timewoundsallheels,

Does the university which you attend teach any LA techniques other than digital block? I ask this because, as an undergrad, I was frustrated at not being taught tib, sural, full ankle or local infiltration techniques, which your LA license will cover, if you have been trained/mentored in such. These are techniques which are invaluable if/when you become a private practitioner.

As a second year student, such as yourself, I made a point of seeking out a practitioner who mentored me in different LA techniques and he signed the log which was evidence of learning LA techniques. Just something to consider...

Good luck with your studies.

Cheers,
    Bel

5. I will be sure to check this out. Thanks for heads up, and, as I intend on going into private practice ASAP post graduation I'll read up on the aforementioned techniques regardless.

Many thanks,

Gaz.