Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Chronic foot pain.

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by LeonW, Jul 26, 2016.

1. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    HI all I have a patient who presents with left dorsal foot pain.

Pt is female in 50s and is on feet all day.

Painful upon dorsi and plantar flexion.

Applied rigid taping to provide additional support. Some relief. Not much.

Imaging shows:

Left foot US:

Synovial thickening and degenerative changes are present at the 3rd tarsometatarsal joint.

There is evidence of Inter-metatarsal space bursitis 2nd & 3rd IM spaces. No neuroma identified.

XRay Left foot:

There is Minor joint space narrowing at the 3rd tarso metatarsal joint.

There is no focal lesion of bone or fracture.

In conclusion:
    Inflammation of bursitis probably due to chronic trauma possibly from standing and lack of cushioning in footwear and reduced healing due to age.

I advised pt to wear CAM walker to reduce movement and pain.
    Pt found CAM walker reduced pain progression, but made hip very sore. (due to compensation).

Told pt to remove CAM.

Pt has been using Hot/cold water to reduce pain.

Advised pt to wear rocker sole to see if that helps. will Rv this.

Thinking of further treatment options to reduce motion in feet and allow feet to heal.

Ongoing taping, wheelchair for a time.

Stem cells thrapy?!

Have you dealt with this sort of thing before?

Please suggest what you think could help my patient?

2. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

I like a lot of your interventions here. You'd think a rockersole would mimic aspects of CAM, so likely to help.

Did you have contralateral heel raise for LLD changes caused by CAM?

Your assessment, conclusions and treatment is very thorough; but in my opinion, it is too pathology-based (assessment). Sometimes you can have similar pathologies that benefit/worsen with a particular intervention. Take one step back from pathology-based assessment and spend more time on what it likes/dislikes. I think that will get you closer to the solution.

If all that conservative intervention doesn't work, your WCS option down-the-track is your typical guided injection.

RB

3. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

Thank you. Ronnie.
    You have made some great points.
    I will be able to help my patient more thanks to your advice.