Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Podiatry soon in Sweden

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 28th May 2008, 09:55 AM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Podiatry soon in Sweden

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
hello everyone

If any one is woundering about the name PodBear my real name is Bjorn and Bjorn means bear i swedish.

at the moment I am in the end of a 3 month exchange study period at the university of Southampton and soon to be ending my 2nd year of thge podiatry course. when not in southampton I do my undergraduate training in Stockholm, Sweden at the Karolinska Institute (University). next year me and my fellow students are going to be the first ever to graduate in podiatry in Sweden. As this is a new occupation and education in Sweden we are currently in a very exciting stage waiting to see how we are going to be accepted as a profession. hovewer we are also a very small profession in sweden making this forum a perfect meeting place for us to get in contact with international podiatrist.

dont hesitate to contact me with qustion, or suggestion for us as a new profession

Bjorn Englund
2nd y pod student
Student representative
Karolinska Institute
Sponsored Links
Old 28th May 2008, 10:35 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Welcome Committee

About:
Default Re: Podiatry soon in Sweden

Hi Podbear,

Quote:
As this is a new occupation and education in Sweden we are currently in a very exciting stage waiting to see how we are going to be accepted as a profession.
As you indicate that Podiatry is a new profession in Sweden I am interested to know what individuals provided lower limb care to those in need in the past?

Good luck in your studies,

twirly

PS. I was fortunate to have visited Sweden a few years ago for a few days. Such a beautiful country with friendly people.

I befriended a Swedish girl on the ferry over & although my Swedish was very poor (nil) her English was very good. We communicated in 'vodka' & although to anyone watching our interaction would have thought us quite mad. It was one of the most memorable journeys of my life.

PPS. I no longer drink vodka but maintain a great fondness for Swedish people.

Mandy Brooks
Brooks Podiatry
S64 0DE

Suffering a fondness for odd things.

“ Though the mills of God grind slowly;
Yet they grind exceeding small;
Though with patience he stands waiting,
With exactness grinds he all. ”
Old 29th May 2008, 09:10 AM

About:

TWIRLY................

"I no longer drink Vodka".........................

Yeah, right.

Nick.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:41 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Welcome Committee

About:

Tsk, Nick,

Trust me I'm a Podiatrist.

Would I lie to you?

What worries me most though is that you don't even know me.

LoL

Mandy Brooks
Brooks Podiatry
S64 0DE

Suffering a fondness for odd things.

“ Though the mills of God grind slowly;
Yet they grind exceeding small;
Though with patience he stands waiting,
With exactness grinds he all. ”
Old 29th May 2008, 01:16 PM

About:

At the moment the footcare in sweden is a tricky business. for a biomechanical problem you will end up at the Orthopedic and then probably get an referall to physio or/and orthotist. for a foot ulcer you will probably first see you GP get referall to a district nurse and maybe orthotist. For a diabetic ulcer the road to treatment is even moore tricky, first the Endochrinologist, then to someting called foottherapy and then maybe to an orthotist.

At the moment there are something called foottherapy in Sweden. a foottherapist has 6-12 month education and mainly work private with basic footcare meanwhile some are treating more serious conditions at hospitals but all of that treatment has to be on a referall from a doctor.

so, hopefully we will make it easier for the patient and get footcare moore easy accessed.

Swedish Vodka is good, but after a few month in england I do prefer guiness. maybee it is the vodka that makes us so friendly :)
Old 7th May 2009, 10:29 PM
Podiatry Arena Rookie

About:

hi bear =),

i am also a 2nd year student of podiatric medicine in the University of Western Australia.
are the immigration oppotunities for a podiatrist in sweden?
i am a Singaporean studying in Australia.

Aloysius Ong
2nd Year
Bachelor of Podiatric Medicine
University of Western Australia
Old 11th May 2009, 09:56 AM

About:

Hi

As I know nearing the end of my third and final year I changed my user name to be a little more sophisticated (same ****, different names).

As for now There is a lot of competition for the few job opportunities. This is sad since we are the first with a degree in Podiatry but unfortunately due to the economic crisis hospitals don’t employ at the moment. There is a market in the private sector though if you are a little bit of a entrepreneur. A couple of years ago a Podiatrist from Aus opened up his own clinic here in Stockholm. Scope of practice would be a little bit different from what you are use to though (no LA no POM:s) (much orthotics and diabetes). I don’t think there would be any problems getting you qualification recognised. Recognition is gained through the board of higher education. See www.podiatri.eu for contact info to the society

Cheers

Björn
Old 11th May 2009, 01:18 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Hi Bjorn:

What will the scope of practice be?
Adjunct Professor OCPM
Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Old 12th May 2009, 06:10 AM

About:

Drsarbes

The scope of practise will be similar to the UK, NZ and AUS except for LA:s and POM:s. This, however, will hopefully be a temporary situation as we hope to gain license to LA:s in the not so far away future.
Podiatry started in Sweden due to the need of adapting to the rest of EU (European Union). The Course is quite similar to the UK (more or less a copy of their course plans I believe). So, it would be quite strange if the scope of practise weren’t the same. It is always a struggle though, constantly working below someone else’s eyes without people recognising your knowledge or really knowing what it is you do, but hopefully we get where we want to be sometime.

Kind regards

Björn
Old 21st February 2013, 06:32 AM

About:
Cool Re: Podiatry soon in Sweden

Hello fellow
I read on some site that now is a good time to work as a podiatrist in sweden.

someone is there or work there and can comment on their experience and how to access jobs in sweden

regards