Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Foot 'detox' scam

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 23rd July 2008, 05:05 PM
The Admin that posts the news.

About:
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)
Default Foot 'detox' scam

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Like the thread on using live fish for pedicures, we weren't going to carry this story, but it getting a lot of publicity and I am sure patients will ask about it at some stage:

Local 12 are reporting:
Cures For Toxic Feet
Quote:
If you've been staying up late watching infomercials about toxic feet. We have some important news today. You can go to sleep a little earlier and not stay up so late. Local doctors say these foot gimmicks don't work.

Local 12 Medical Reporter Liz Bonis has details in this morning's Medical Edge.

If you have a strong stomach, these are these pads you stick on to the bottom of your feet, so they turn to look like this! The companies that make these types of products say that the color change overnight is proof that you are losing toxins. They claim, because of this detox process, you can reduce everything from fatigue, to pain, to insomnia.

A new report from UC Berkeley, however, says not so fast. At the recommendation of podiatric medicine experts, we thought we'd ask Doctor Brian Ash, of West Chester, to help us put these to the test. He had one of his patients, who'd been treated for heel pain, Pam Thomakas, test them out. She strapped them on for a few days, tried to sleep on them, and said she didn't notice any difference in her feet or how she felt. She said the stickiness of them and the scent were her least favorite part.

As for Doctor Ash, he has a few concerns about these foot pads, also. And we had to ask, do these really clean out toxins from your feet?

Dr. Brian Ash, Podiatrist: "There's no medical evidence that it does, it might have a placebo effect, the other problem is that these are not FDA investigated or approved and you don't know what they are doing to you. So, if you are pregnant or if you have a medical condition, definitely do not use these products."

One other important point that Brian Ash brings up, if you are in pain, or having trouble sleeping, something else could be wrong. Using foot pads to try and repair a problem may only encourage you to put off medical care and that can make the problem worse. He sites an example of someone having a stress fracture in the foot, when it hurts and you let it go, it gets worse, instead of better.
Link to story
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd July 2008, 05:09 PM

About:
Default Re: Foot 'detox'

A google search turns up plenty more on this.
Old 23rd July 2008, 05:17 PM

About:

Foot Detox Quackery:
Old 24th July 2008, 12:59 AM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsBot View Post
Foot Detox Quackery:
Remarkable! He keeps a straight face while explaining it
Old 24th July 2008, 01:17 AM

About:

I on to it:
Quote:
In essence, the foot bath contains a low voltage/amperage AC to DC transformer attached to ferrous electrodes. The process is basically electrolysis of water, a typical high school experiment, with a twist. The brown "toxins" you see is from the rust generated by the corrosion of the iron electrodes. The different variations in color can be accounted by varying amount of salt added to the water and variations in the compositions of the electrodes.
Quote:
I investigated the many claims made by the people making and selling detox treatments using an "aqua detox" machine. There are many different variants of these devices on the market. They are ALL scams. The skin does not excrete toxins, (unless normal sweat is now to be defined as a "toxin").
Human skin is not an excretory organ. It is scientifically impossible to excrete measurable amounts of heavy metals , or any other so called "poisons" through the skin. You are being defrauded.
How much did you pay for this scam? Do the sellers claim that this thing is FDA approved? I bet they do not. What exactly do they claim it does? Get past the cool medical sounding BS words that mean nothing, and focus on what they claim it does. I will bet you have been served a large portion of quasi-scientific medical sounding nonsense words that in fact are meaningless dribble.....
Quote:
Then I decided to apply a little science. I took a clean, fresh pad and added 2 teaspons of distilled water to the absorbant surface. After 15 minutes the pad began to take on the exact same characteristics as the pads I had worn overnight. Same tarry appearence and slight smell of vinegar.

I conclude the pads are reacting to the normal perspiration your feet produce.
Old 24th July 2008, 01:18 AM
Administrator

About:

Here is another:

Old 24th July 2008, 01:34 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Welcome Committee

About:

Is the woman narrating on speed or is it my computer?

PS. Do you think if I leave one of these detoxifying pads under my daughters bed over night her room will be clean by morning or should I use an entire box?

Hmm................

Mandy Brooks
Brooks Podiatry
S64 0DE

Suffering a fondness for odd things.

“ Though the mills of God grind slowly;
Yet they grind exceeding small;
Though with patience he stands waiting,
With exactness grinds he all. ”
Old 24th July 2008, 09:34 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Remarkable! He keeps a straight face while explaining it
I was thinking the same thing...he's a real pro!
Old 24th July 2008, 08:01 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

I had a Naturopath in an office next to mine affording this service to people. I admit I tried it once and it didn't improve my vision, libido, or looks one bit to say nothing of my disposition!

The foot bath craze has actually slowed down quite a bit. Its a pile of monkey guano. They tested the water in a legitimate lab after one of these 'treatments' and they found:

Water!

No exudate's of human pineal gland, no toxins, excess ethyl alcohol, lead, chlorine, cadmium, biohazards, weapons of mass destruction.....

David G. Wedemeyer, D.C., C.Ped.
Old 29th July 2008, 02:20 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Dear All,

Just checked Shuropody's web site today.

Guess what they, are offering FOOT DETOX.

I wonder if it is the same system that is being discussed here?

Oh well another nail in the coffin of Podiatry as a paramedical profession.

Mind you it seems that the smart money is not in health care but is in Palliative touchy feely nicey bits and pieces.

Anyway there is an article on Homeopathic Podiatry in this months edition of Podiatry Now.

Why will people pay more for the intangible compared to a t/t modality that has a measureable benefit outcome.

I suppose if you can measure it you can put a notional value on it, if you cant measure it you may believe what you are being told.

In Homeopathy i thought that becaus of the severity of the dilution of the active ingredient you actually receive NOT ONE MOLECULE OF THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT.

So giving you nothing of something has a therapeutic outcome which is measureable.

Oh well i have just invented the BLADELESS SCALPEL.

It is completely painless and cannot cause a haemorrhage. But the reduction in pain from the callosities is absolutely incredible.

Indeed one of my Pts Mr Michael AAARDVVAARRK has said it is the most effective system for the removal of callous he has ever had.

Indeed he travels from WAYOUTBACH NSW monthly to see me and says my fee of $195.00 for 15 mins represents amazing value compared to the $50.00 fees he has previously paid to other Pods for a wasted 30mins.

He has recommended this to the other two inhabitants of WAYOUTBACH and is writing an article for the town flysheet.

So my future financial security is assured.

regards David
The Following User Says Thank You to DAVOhorn For This Useful Post:
Tkemp (17th July 2011)
Old 29th July 2008, 03:04 AM
Podiatry Arena Rookie

About:

nice video and yeah you are right they are really good in doing it.
Old 11th March 2009, 01:33 PM

About:

Time Magazine run a story on this:
Detox, Shmeetox
Quote:
Witty super bowl ads these are not. The commercials for foot pads that suck the toxins from your body are very straightforward: smack the cushions onto the soles of your feet, and overnight, the ads claim, you will sweat out metals, minerals and any other accumulated nastiness. Who wouldn't be appalled by the brown footprint left the next morning by a body newly unburdened of pollutants? And who wouldn't dial that toll-free number right away, credit card in (toxin-laden) hand?
Quote:
But it turns out that detoxing does very little de-anything. The brown color on those foot pads? That comes from chemicals in the pads that change color whenever they get wet--even if the moisture comes from something as toxin-free as distilled water. "There is no science behind these detoxification services," says Dr. Christine Laine, deputy editor of the Annals of Internal Medicine. Says Dr. Bennett Roth, chief of gastroenterology at UCLA: "This is the 2009 version of the snake-oil salesman."
Link to story
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:26 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirly View Post
Is the woman narrating on speed or is it my computer?

PS. Do you think if I leave one of these detoxifying pads under my daughters bed over night her room will be clean by morning or should I use an entire box?

Hmm................
Having brought up teenage daughters myself, I can testify that nothing
will clean your daughter's room. Something "happens" when teenagers take up residence in their rooms...I can garruntee nothing short of complete redecoration will make a difference
The Following User Says Thank You to footsiegirl For This Useful Post:
twirly (23rd August 2010)
Old 1st November 2010, 01:18 PM

About:
Default Re: Foot 'detox' scam

This question just turned up on Yahoo! Answers:
Quote:
Why do I have bad nightmares only when I wear detox foot patches?
Since I started using detox foot patches I have been having the worst nightmares. I wake up during the night and walk around the house to try and get rid of it and then when I go back to sleep I continue the same dream. It has been happening every night except for the nights I forgot to put on the patches. Is it a coincidence or could it be related? All the sites say there are no side effects.
The first answer was:
Quote:
The real question is, why would you buy into a scam like "detox foot patches"?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1021453AAV1EC4
Old 17th July 2011, 12:22 AM

About:
Unhappy Re: Foot 'detox'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin2 View Post
Here is another:

Hahaha. Nothing says fail like ' if you ever need more we'll send them free for life'...Must be expensive to make..
Old 27th December 2011, 01:23 PM

About:

Detox Footbaths Make A Comeback
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:21 PM

About:

Objective assessment of an ionic footbath (IonCleanse): testing its ability to remove potentially toxic elements from the body.
Kennedy DA, Cooley K, Einarson TR, Seely D.
J Environ Public Health. 2012;2012:258968
Quote:

Ionic footbaths are often used in holistic health centres and spas to aid in detoxification; however, claims that these machines eliminate toxins from the body have not been rigorously evaluated. In this proof-of-principle study, we sought to measure the release of potentially toxic elements from ionic footbaths into distilled and tap water with and without feet. Water samples were collected and analyzed following 30-minute ionic footbath sessions without feet using both distilled (n = 1) and tap water (n = 6) and following four ionic footbaths using tap water (once/week for 4 weeks) in six healthy participants. Urine collection samples were analyzed at four points during the study. Hair samples were analyzed for element concentrations at baseline and study conclusion. Contrary to claims made for the machine, there does not appear to be any specific induction of toxic element release through the feet when running the machine according to specifications.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:19 AM

About:

The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland have upheld a complaint on the foot detox claims
Quote:
The authority received a complaint about an offer on the third party deal website bagadeal.ie placed by Dtox Limited offering a supply of ‘Natural Detox Foot Patches’ for €20 instead of €45 for 10-nights supply.

Among the benefits claimed for the patches were that they helped circulation and weight loss, alleviate muscle and joint pains and “improved your overall well-being”.

The complainant challenged whether the advertiser could provide sufficient evidence for the claims.

The committee found that in the absence of substantiation for the claims made in the advertising, it was in breach of section 8.1 of the ASAI code and must not be used in its current format again.
Link to story
Old 28th February 2013, 09:35 PM

About:

Er, is it deliberate that the ad at the top of the pageis actually for an ionic foot detox? (detoxdefeet.com.au) Is this monitored in any way? Hmmmmmmm
Old 28th February 2013, 09:41 PM
Administrator

About:
Marketplace reputation 45% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekwie View Post
Is this monitored in any way? Hmmmmmmm
Nope; but it does show you the brilliance of the ad-serving software in delivering contextually relevant adverts!
thekwie (28th February 2013)