Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Springy shoes

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Simon Spooner, Aug 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Simon

I bought a pair of these Kangoo boots. From not being able to run at all, due to a back problem, I was instantly able to run for miles with no back /leg pain.
    Fun, but not so cool down the wine bar on a friday night tho.

[​IMG]

Dave

2. I do quite fancy a pair of the big blade boots that I saw a young man sporting down town recently, looked really cool jumping up on to high walls etc, :cool:

Back to the z-coil, the concept is interesting and research does seem to suggest that moderating the stiffness of the foot/ surface interface has potential to be beneficial in running. Not too sure about the research they quote on their site though, but I only scanned through it.

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

The International Association of Athletic Federations (IAAF) and USA Track and Field (USATF) banned their runners from competing in shoes with springs. Rule 71 states: ‘the purpose of shoes for competition is to give protection and stability to the feet and a firm grip to the ground. Such shoes, however, must not be constructed so as to give the competitor any additional assistance, and no spring or device of any kind may be incorporated in the shoes.’ Currently wearing Spira running shoes is subject to disqualification at official meets but more and more marathon runners are wearing the Spira running shoes. Spira's™ patented WaveSpring™ technology produce insoles which have two metal springs, one near the toe area and the other near the heel. According to invitro tests conducted by Sports Biomechanics,Inc., Michigan State University. WaveSpring™ technology appears to have an infinite fatigue life and will last longer than the shoe. The recent controversy which surrounded double amputee, Oscar Pistorius’s carbon-fibre protheses i.e. Cheetahs flex foot protheses, presents a very interesting precedent. The International Association of Athletics Federations</a> (IAAF) at first refused to accept them in able bodied competition under their Rule 144.2 i.e. technical devices that aid performance are prohibited form competition. However after considerable extensive research and review Oscar Pistorius won the right to compete with able-bodied athletes. Whilst he failed to qualify for the Olympics the ruling may now open the door to spring shoes in competition. In track and field events record breaking performances have been few and far between until 2008, where it has been demonstrated by Usain Bolt that you can smash world records wearing a “no frills” spike.

Interesting times lie ahead for London 2012.

toeslayer

4. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    EXPERTS' OPINION CONCERNING THE ROLE OF AEROBICS ON
    KANGOO-JUMPS BOOTS

Roxana Dumitru
    Journal of Sport and Kinetic Movement Vol.I (2), No.23