Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Self Defense Training

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 31st January 2006, 03:41 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Self Defense Training

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Netizens

I have been around for several decades now and seen a few angry men in my time but you could have knocked me down with a feather today when as part of an induction to a new clinical job I have to complete my employer's self defense course. Thank goodness for my background in martial arts

A (sad) sign of the times.

What say you?

Cameron

Cameron Kippen, Podologist and Shoe Historian

Cameron Kippen
Sponsored Links
Old 31st January 2006, 05:48 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Cameron,

Could it possibly be that the self defence training is to protect staff from other staff and not the patients!
Old 31st January 2006, 12:58 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Cameron

What type of martial arts do you do. I've practiced and taught karate (mostly Kyokushin) and Judo (3rd Dan) for almost 40yrs also done quite a bit of kick boxing and aikido akijutsu too. I love it.
At present I run an MMA club (along the lines of cage fighting, shoot fighting, ultimate fighting styles) its great fun.
Many times people ask me why I don't run self defense courses. I say because 10 weeks after a ten week course you will have almost forgotten everything you learned and if you have to think about it then it will be to late.
If you come to martial arts to learn self defence then you won't stay long. If you do stay then it will be because you love it and get the bug. Nobody stays for the pain if they don't enjoy the sport.
What do you think Cameron.

Cheers Dave
Old 31st January 2006, 01:51 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

That a very bad indictment on society when health professionals need self defense training to protect themselves from the very people that they are trying to help.
Old 27th February 2006, 09:48 PM
The Admin that posts the news.

About:
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)

Maybe this is the reason why:

The BBC are reporting:
Attacks on nurses 'on the rise'
Quote:
Violence against nursing staff is increasing, with 80% of A&E nurses reporting harassment or an assault in the past year, a survey suggests.
A quarter of the 3,000 nurses surveyed by the Royal College of Nursing said they had been physically attacked.

While almost half of nurses said they had been bullied or harassed, 45% of these by a manager, in the past year.

The Department of Health said there had been a 15-fold increase in prosecutions for attacks on NHS staff.

Health minister Rosie Winterton said: "This shows that offenders can no longer regard NHS staff as soft targets, and those who do abuse staff face punishment.

According to the RCN's Working Well - At Breaking Point Survey which quizzed 2,790 nurses last August about their working lives found they experienced more stress than the general population.

It comes as ministers are set to announce plans to fine people up to £1,000 who threaten doctors or nurses.

Some 40% of nurses said they had been harassed or assaulted in the past 12 months - this was an increase of 6% on the RCN's 2000 survey.

Nursing survey:
40% of nurses attacked or harassed
79% of A&E nurses attacked or harassed
27% physically attacked at work
25% bullied or harassed

But the survey also suggested instances of bullying had increased.

Five years ago 17% of nurses reported bullying or harassment, in the new survey nearly a quarter of respondents said they had experienced it.

Half of these said that managers were the source of the problem.

The survey also suggests nurses' psychological well-being had worsened since 2000.

Four out of 10 reported varying degrees of problems, while 14% said they had raised levels of distress which may required some help.

Beverly Malone, general secretary of the Royal College of Nursing, said the survey demonstrated the tough issues that nurses faced every day.

"If we are going to bring more people into nursing and stop others leaving we have got to tackle these problems."

Punishment

Sheelagh Brewer, RCN senior employment relations adviser, said pressures on nurses were growing partly because of ongoing reorganisation in the NHS and the increasing complexity of work.

She also said that problems hospital finances which led to posts being frozen and other cutbacks piled more pressure on staff.

On bullying, she said the healthcare profession was still very hierarchical.

"There's still a culture that says it's OK to demonstrate the kind of behaviour that we now see as bullying. People are quick to blame."

Shadow Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said violence and abuse against nurses was unacceptable.

"The NHS has to respond not only a willingness to undertake prosecutions but to make sure law is as clear as it can be."

Bill Darling, chairman of the NHS Security Management Service, said staff were now more confident in reporting violence and abuse but said those that attacked nurses should and would be punished.
Old 1st March 2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator

About:
Default Self defence

GP's are getting it as well.
ABC are reporting:
GPs endangered by violent patients
Wednesday, 1 March , 2006 12:46:00
Quote:
ELEANOR HALL: A study by researchers at Newcastle University has revealed that some GPs are taking drastic measures to deal with violent patients.

The research found that some GPs have devised escape routes in their surgeries so they can flee an attacker and many have stopped making house calls or visiting certain areas altogether.

Doctors' groups say violence from patients is on the increase and that there even are cases of GPs being killed on the job.

Jean Kennedy reports.

JEAN KENNEDY: When you think doctor's surgery, it probably conjures up a fairly benign image - a relatively peaceful place that's littered with out-of-date magazines.

But researchers from Newcastle University have done a study into violence in Australian doctors' surgeries and found that aggressive patients are proving quite a threat.

Dr Parker Magin one of the researchers is a GP himself and says the experience of either verbal or physical violence is common and he says some doctors feel compelled to take pretty drastic measures to deal with aggressive patients.

PARKER MAGIN: As a measure of frustration, GPs have talked about actually faking a heart attack in the middle of the consultation with a patient who's becoming violent, or buying fake guns, although the guy didn't actually use it. I think it's just a measure of frustration that they would even contemplate that.
Full transcript of interview
Old 5th March 2006, 06:14 PM

About:

Quote:
as part of an induction to a new clinical job I have to complete my employer's self defense course.
Where on earth are you working?

That said, I could certainly have used some self defence training when I was treating "residents" from the prison near where I worked! From that job I learned to remove the scalpel blade the second I was finished with it!