Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Emmigrating to Australia

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lauren_djbraidy, Feb 10, 2006.

1. lauren_djbraidy

lauren_djbraidy Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,
    I am a final yr podiatry student and am put off the nhs by the banding, but also the lack of jobs. I have to start applying for jobs soon, but I dont know what to do.
    I was thinking about pursuing a job in Oz, but I was jsut wondering can I go over there without doing any post grad podiatry. Please help

Lauren x

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Check this thread:
    Podiatrist Shortage And Overseas Podiatrists in the Australia forum.

(I have deleted your other post on this same topic as it serves no purpose to have multiple threads on the same topic, and is against Forum Rules)

3. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

re going to Aus

Dear Lauren,

As you are about to graduate with your BSc Hons in Podiatry you are eligible for registration with the Australian Podiatry Council without having to sit further exams.

There is one Caveat you have to have a minimum of 2 years clinical practice for this to be valid. This has to be done in your country of training.

If 2 years is too long to waith then you can sit your exam in the Aussie State of your choice eg NSW SA WA etc etc.

Do you want to buy my house.

I hope to be emigrating to Sydney as soon as my house sells. I am an old goat over 45 so need a sponsor which i have .

So i have registered with the APCo have my sponsorship have had the medicals and now have my 4 year work visa. This has taken from May 2005 till Jan 2006, hence my house now on the market.

There are many jobs in Aus , look at the employment section on this site and Podiatry Zone.

As i hope you are young ie between 25 and 35 of child bearing age with the intention of having 3 children a boy a girl and a third for your adopted country. They are very short of children and have far too many pensioners.

You could after 2 years practice apply as an independent migrant and go on that visa as you have a necessary skill that Aus wants. If under 25 you could get a 1 year temp visa and have a good look round back packing and see if you can get a job that way.

But you must have a min of 2 years post graduation practice first.

Contact the APCo or even post on the Aus part of this site.

regards and good luck.

Please please buy my house as i want to go and have a job to go to.

David

4. podesh

podesh Active Member

Hi Lauren

I graduated in July 2005. I'm hopefully emigrating in a couple of months, I also have a friend who graduated same time and flew out to aus last week to work. The rules have changed, if you graduate from a university recognised by the Australian Podiatry Council, you no longer have to wait two years or take exams. If an employer will sponsor you, there are a couple of visa options.

I would email global health resource (in Perth), they have been fantastic, not only recruitment agency but also help with migration visas. Don't charge a penny either.

I've been working for nhs for 6 months now and so glad I have an out!!!

Goodluck, pm me if you have any queries.

5. JSD

JSD Welcome New Poster

Hi Lauren,

Basically yes, your qualifications are valid and qpplying for approval of your qualifications with Australasian Podiatry Council (APodC) is relativley straightforward and painless.

With respect to working, it really depends on the type of visa you apply for- reason you want to go to Aus.
    If you intend migrating permanantley, then yes, as David said- you need to demonstrate that you have worked as a Pod for 3 years.
    If, however, you just want to go and check it out, you can either apply for a work visa (assuming you are under 30) or have an Australian employer sponsor you. This gives you the opportunity to 'check it out' and if you decide to stay well, great- just apply for the relevant visa and ensure you meet the criteria at the time.

Some considerations though;
    - Australia is far away! (stating the obvious, but you need to be sure you can cope with those bad, sad, lonely days that happen occassionally)
    - In many posts you may be working on your own, as a new grad this may be tricky, might be worth considering a short time working with someone whilst sorting your visa (Please, dont let me put you off, but you need to consider how you feel about this)

I moved to Australia 6 months ago and have been lucky to find a good employer where I am delivering a wide scope of practice with a good back up support staff- be sure of what your employer is offering you.
    The grass isnt always greener (but there are different shades of green!).

If you want, email me and I can talk you through how I went through the process and some jobs that may be coming up soon around the area I work.

Good Luck!

6. Felicity Prentice

Felicity Prentice Active Member

Hi Lauren,

Here's hoping you join us out here! Just to reiterate JSD, there are a great many jobs, but many of them are based in more rural and remote locations. These are often fantastic, as there is nothing like an Australian Country Town to make you feel welcome. However, when the drive to the next 'big city' is 4 hours (at 110 km/hr), it can seem a long way from civilisation.

cheers

Felicity

7. Hughpod

Hughpod Welcome New Poster

Hi,
    I'm in the same position as Lauren and want to head to Tasmania to live and work, but I'm finishing my 2nd year and aged 40.....qualifying July 2008, is there anything I can be doing now to better my chances, or do I just keep looking at the vacancies and hope an employer will sponsor me once I've graduated? :confused: Thanks for the info - this thread has been really useful.

8. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member