Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Burnout High Among Podiatrists

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 23rd November 2004, 03:53 AM
Administrator

About:
Marketplace reputation 45% (0)
Exclamation Burnout High Among Podiatrists

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Burnout High Among Podiatrists, but Not Inevitable

from Podiatry Online:
Quote:
Burnout among podiatrists doesn't have to be inevitable. Many podiatrists view it as a job hazard, something that they believe goes along with the stress of dealing with people and their problems day in and day out, but that's not so.

Research about burnout and occupational stress relating to podiatry is lacking, although a study published earlier this year does shed some light on these important issues. The study compared levels of burnout between new podiatrists in the United Kingdom and Australia. Geographical differences may limit the study's applications, but podiatrists everywhere can relate to the overall findings.

The study by the Clinical Research Centre, University of Brighton, Eastbourne, England, found that podiatrists in both Australian and the United Kingdom had significantly higher levels of burnout than published normative data.
Full story
Sponsored Links
Old 24th November 2004, 02:55 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default ...and the solution is?

erm .... what am I missing here?

The reasons for burn out are:

lack of status and recognition;
a perception of over-demanding patients;
keeping up to date with changes in clinical practice;
time pressures; and
providing a service perceived as value for money.

the solution appears to be:

1. sort out your life and / or
2. excercise
3. get out of podiatry

use 'em and loose 'em - fab!
Old 24th November 2004, 03:14 AM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:
Thanked 1,087 Times in 731 Posts
Question

A couple of years ago when I was in USA I recall a front page headline in USA Today about the very high suicide rate in Dentists --- it was put down to the isolation that many feel in solo or small practices. I guess there is no reason to assume that Podiatry may be any different
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 24th November 2004, 05:15 AM

About:
Wink Pleased to see you

Re Dentists and Suicide

It has always struck me that very rarely do you say to your Dentist at the end of a procedure "That was great, we must do it again sometime." (Well, perhaps because your talking muscles are paralysed from the LA, and all you can do is dribble and mumble...but you get the gist). I have found, however, that patients are generally consistently pleased with Podiatry procedures, and usually say upon donning their footwear - "Oh, that feels much better, thankyou..." So Dentists top themselves because no-one really wants to see them, and no-one gives them cheerful positive feedback about what they have done for them. Podiatrists, however, spread joy and hapiness where e'er we go! Ergo, we are much better insurance risks.

Now, about burnout....Yep, the isolation is a killer. Having twenty identical conversations a day is mind numbing, and we are SO at the bottom of the medical food chain we begin to see ourselves as single celled organisms. So what we need is better mentoring, more colleagial support, lots of seminars and mini-conferences where the papers are practice-oriented, and that bottle of whisky in Matthew Oates's bottom drawer. And most of all a sense of humour, because if we start taking ourselves too seriously it will all become too tragic!

Cheers,

Felicity
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Felicity Prentice For This Useful Post:
Boots n all (10th January 2014), DougYoung (13th January 2016), Jacqui Walker (9th January 2014), thekwie (8th January 2014)
Old 24th November 2004, 05:19 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Payne
A couple of years ago when I was in USA I recall a front page headline in USA Today about the very high suicide rate in Dentists --- it was put down to the isolation that many feel in solo or small practices. I guess there is no reason to assume that Podiatry may be any different
I suppose podiatrists may be able to communicate with their patients a little more easily than dentists ?
Cheers,
David
Old 24th November 2004, 06:30 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Default Whiskey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity Prentice
Re Dentists and Suicide

It has always struck me that very rarely do you say to your Dentist at the end of a procedure "That was great, we must do it again sometime." (Well, perhaps because your talking muscles are paralysed from the LA, and all you can do is dribble and mumble...but you get the gist). I have found, however, that patients are generally consistently pleased with Podiatry procedures, and usually say upon donning their footwear - "Oh, that feels much better, thankyou..." So Dentists top themselves because no-one really wants to see them, and no-one gives them cheerful positive feedback about what they have done for them. Podiatrists, however, spread joy and hapiness where e'er we go! Ergo, we are much better insurance risks.

Now, about burnout....Yep, the isolation is a killer. Having twenty identical conversations a day is mind numbing, and we are SO at the bottom of the medical food chain we begin to see ourselves as single celled organisms. So what we need is better mentoring, more colleagial support, lots of seminars and mini-conferences where the papers are practice-oriented, and that bottle of whisky in Matthew Oates's bottom drawer. And most of all a sense of humour, because if we start taking ourselves too seriously it will all become too tragic!

Cheers,

Felicity
ahhhh - whiskey - THAT's the answer, sure 'nuff ! Single Malts are especially therapeutic
Old 24th November 2004, 06:41 PM

About:
Default Beating the Blues

There is no doubt about the therapeutic value of a good single malt (but not too peaty please). But, on a drearily serious note, I have had a thought (yes, just the one, but it is all new to me).

I am just collating the feedback forms from Pod students who have undertaken placement in private practices ad hospitals. You should read the words they use - "fantastic, invaluable, excellent, inspiring...", and the level of appreciation of their supervisors is equally stunning - "enthusiastic, encouraging, caring, welcoming, knowledgable, professional, extraordinary.." and so on. This is were we can find the enthusiasm we need to keep going - in the Podiatrists of the future.

So - find out if your local Uni/College needs placement opportunities for their students. You will have the chance to be with someone who values you and your knowledge, and there is nothing like teaching to help you learn. No doubt I am preaching to the converted on this forum, but perhaps if we all suggested it to a colleague, then the word would spread. Perhaps at the next conference someone might be willing to give a brief paper on the benefits of hosting a student on placement - it would be of benefit to all.

Now, for that whisky. (Damn, I forgot, I don't drink anymore - I drank all my share at once in younger days).

cheers,

Felicity
Old 8th January 2014, 06:52 PM
The Admin that posts the news.

About:
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)
Default Re: Burnout High Among Podiatrists

Prevalence and Associated Risk Factors of Burnout Among US Doctors of Chiropractic
Shawn P. Williams, Genevieve P. Zipp
Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics; Article in Press
Quote:
Objective
The purpose of this study was to establish the frequency of burnout among doctors of chiropractic in the United States.
Methods
Using a nonprobability convenience sampling methodology, we e-mailed the Maslach Burnout Inventory–Human Services Survey and a sociodemographic questionnaire to a randomized sample of licensed doctors of chiropractic (n = 8000).
Results
The survey return rate was 16.06%. Twenty-one percent of the participants had high emotional exhaustion (EE), 8% had low personal accomplishment, and 8% had high depersonalization.
Discussion
Significant differences (P < .001) were found in the level of EE, depersonalization, and personal accomplishment as a function of sex, time dedicated to clinical care and administrative duties, source of reimbursement, the type of practice setting, the nature of practitioners' therapeutic focus, the location of chiropractic college, self-perception of burnout, the effect of suffering from a work-related injury, the varying chiropractic philosophical perspectives, and the public's opinion of chiropractic.
Conclusion
Although doctors of chiropractic in the United States who responded to the survey had a relatively low frequency of burnout, higher levels of EE remain workplace issues for this professional group.
Old 9th January 2014, 09:28 AM

About:

I have been doing this job for 22yrs and still love it.

I work for myself ,when I want, I take hols as I want, do the hours I want, and yes I make a decent living!

Yes I sometimes think I will scream when another corn needs doing and the pts. say for the 10th time that day how lovely it is outside, but every job has its down side.

As a nurse, I used to feel like yelling when yet another Pt. described their bowel movement ,the funny thing is as a nurse most of the pt.'s talked about themselves and their illnesses to the exclusion of all else( well they were sick!!)

my Chiropody Pts. ( once they get to know you) will talk about all manner of interesting things
Old 9th January 2014, 07:15 PM
Administrator

About:

Old 9th January 2014, 07:16 PM
Administrator

About:

Old 10th January 2014, 03:17 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

l think Felicity hit the nail on the head, regular contact with your peers, be that conferences or even once a month or 2nd month meeting up with a few peers in your area or past uni mates for Coffey.

Keep it fresh and remember the difference you do make to so many lives.
My location
www.bilbyshoes.com
Old 24th February 2014, 11:35 PM

About:

Why doctors commit suicide
Old 25th February 2014, 01:50 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Research about burnout and occupational stress relating to podiatry is lacking, although a study published earlier this year does shed some light on these important issues. The study compared levels of burnout between new podiatrists in the United Kingdom and Australia. Geographical differences may limit the study's applications, but podiatrists everywhere can relate to the overall findings.

Looking back to the opening post in this thread I was interested to see that the comparison was between 'new' podiatrists. Does that mean that the subjectsts were on the verge of burnout as students and that qualification pushed them over the edge?

I couldn't connect to the original research which would I am sure clarify this point.

Bill
Old 25th February 2014, 02:59 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

I don't know of too many pods of my generation who suffered from burn-out.

There may be one or two. I know of one guy who was very stressed out by his BSc top-up degree
I know of another who was stressed by having to give a Talk to the local Womens Institute.

But proper burn-out - no.
2014 Individual Member - Expert Witness Institute.

Email: dmholland@dunelm.org.uk

Correspondence Address: David Holland, The Nuffield Hospital, Scraptoft Lane, Leicester LE5 1HY.
.................................................. ..........................................
Old 17th December 2014, 03:05 PM

About:

DEGREE OF BURNOUT AMONG MALTESE PODIATRISTS
WORKING IN TWO DIFFERENT SETTINGS

Trista Agius, Cynthia Formosa
Malta Journal of Health Sciences; 2014
Quote:
The issue of burnout is receiving increasing research
attention. However, most of the literature on burnout has
focused on the nursing, physiotherapy and occupational therapy
professions, with very few studies within the podiatric profession
exploring this concept. The purpose of this paper is to compare
the degree of burnout among Maltese podiatrists working in two
different settings, namely the public health service and private
practice. A quantitative non-experimental study, involving a
convenience sample, was conducted. The Copenhagen Burnout
Inventory (CBI) was used to evaluate levels of burnout in the two
participant groups. No statistical difference was found between
the overall mean burnout scores for Maltese podiatrists employed
in the public health service and those working in private practice
(p = 0.067, mean = 48.89 vs 31.84). Although the level of
burnout did not differ between podiatrists working within the
two different settings, podiatrists working in the public sector
in general reported higher mean scores for each subscale of the
CBI than podiatrists working in private practice. More research
is necessary to build a better understanding of burnout among
podiatrists in parallel with other health care professionals, in
order to help prevent or alleviate this phenomenon.
Old 7th June 2015, 06:04 AM

About:

Physician Burnout Presents Differently in Male and Female Doctors
Old 1st December 2015, 02:50 PM

About:

Press Release:
Physicians and Burnout: It’s Getting Worse
Embargo expired: 1-Dec-2015 5:00 AM EST
Quote:
ROCHESTER, Minn. — Burnout among U.S. physicians is getting worse. An update from a three-year study evaluating burnout and work-life balance shows that American physicians are worse off today than they were three years earlier. These dimensions remained largely unchanged among U.S. workers in general, resulting in a widening gap between physicians and workers in other fields. The study conducted by Mayo Clinic researchers in partnership with the American Medical Association compared data from 2014 to metrics they collected in 2011 and found that now more than half of U.S. physicians are experiencing professional burnout. The findings appear in Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
“Burnout manifests as emotional exhaustion, loss of meaning in work, and feelings of ineffectiveness,” says Tait Shanafelt, M.D. “What we found is that more physicians in almost every specialty are feeling this way and that’s not good for them, their families, the medical profession, or patients.”
The researchers say evidence indicates that burnout leads to poor care, physician turnover and a decline in the overall quality of the health care system. In the 2011 survey 45 percent of physicians met the burnout criteria, with highest rates occurring in the “front lines” — general internal medicine, family medicine and emergency medicine. In 2014, 54 percent of responding physicians had at least one symptom of burnout. Satisfaction with work-life balance also declined. The survey results were based on 6,880 physicians across the United States, a 19 percent response rate, as well as a population based sample of 5313 working U.S. adults in other fields.
In a snapshot:
* Physician burnout is up 10 percent over the last three years
* Burnout rates are up across almost all specialties
* No overall increase in physician work hours was reported
* No increase in rates of depression was observed among physicians
Researchers say the problem of physician burnout is largely a system issue and that health care organizations have a shared responsibility in addressing the problem. They say more needs to be done by healthcare organizations to help physicians by improving the efficiency of the practice environment, reducing clerical burden, and providing physicians greater flexibility and control over work.
What must be done:
* Urgent need for research to provide “evidence-based interventions” addressing burnout, including improving efficiency
* Factors in the practice or work environment have to change
* Offering self-help solutions is no longer enough
Old 12th January 2016, 09:10 PM

About:

How to address burnout among medical professionals
Old 9th February 2016, 04:40 PM

About:

Burnout prevention tips from the trenches
Old 10th February 2016, 06:13 PM

About:

I think too much paperwork is main culprit.
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:36 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I think too much paperwork is main culprit.
yep:

Chiropractors? perception of occupational stress and its influencing factors: a qualitative study using responses to open-ended questions
Shawn Williams
Chiropractic & Manual Therapies 201624:2
Quote:
Background
Job stress and emotional exhaustion have been shown to have a negative impact on the helping professional. The development and causal relations of job stress and emotional exhaustion are rather unclear in the chiropractic profession. The objective of this study is to understand the main sources of occupational stress and emotional exhaustion among doctors of chiropractic.

Methods
Analysis of the written responses to web-based open-ended questionnaire was performed using an interpretive research methodology. Additionally, cross tabulation and Chi square statistical tests were conducted to match and couple the demographic data with the categorical themes.

Results
Fourteen professional stress categories emerged from the 970 completed surveys. ?Managed Care Organization regulation?, ?Managed Care reimbursement? and ?Scope of Practice Issues? were the most common stressors that negatively influenced chiropractors? professional and personal lives. The results of the categorical analysis suggests that age, marital status, number of years in practice and location of practice may have an influence on the category of stress reported by chiropractors.

Conclusions
The qualitative approach revealed common, conventional and culture-specific job stressors in doctors of chiropractic. Notably, these findings suggest an association between third-party payer influences (increased regulation/decreased reimbursement) with that of increased job stress. Further research will be undertaken to refine the stress and satisfaction parameters and address stress interventions.
Old 1st April 2016, 08:37 AM

About:

Press Release;
Professional Burnout Associated With Physicians Limiting Practice
April 1, 2016
Quote:
At a time when the nation is facing projected physician shortages, a Mayo Clinic study shows an association between burnout and declining professional satisfaction with physicians reducing the number of hours they devote to clinical practice. The findings appear in Mayo Clinic Proceedings.

“A dramatic increase in burnout has occurred among U.S. physicians over the last several years,” says Tait Shanafelt, M.D., Mayo Clinic physician and lead author of the study. “Using independent payroll records, this study objectively found that the measured level of burnout today predicts whether physicians will cut their work hours over the next 12-24 months.”

Researchers from Mayo Clinic and Sirota Survey Intelligence linked data from validated surveys assessing burnout and work satisfaction from physicians at Mayo Clinic to seven years of administrative and payroll records for doctors at the institution. Although none of the Mayo Clinic investigators had access to any identifying information, the Sirota team was able to pair the payroll data Mayo provided to survey responses. The investigators found that for every point increase in the seven-point scale measuring emotional exhaustion (a domain of burnout), there was a 40 percent greater likelihood a physician would cut back his or her work hours over the next 24 months. A similar relationship was observed for every one-point decrease in the five-point scale measuring professional satisfaction.

MEDIA CONTACT: Bob Nellis, Mayo Clinic Public Affairs, 507-284-5005, newsbureau@mayo.edu

The longitudinal study used survey data from 1,856 physicians responding in 2011 and 2,132 physicians responding in 2013. The study included physicians on payroll at the Mayo Clinic campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Results were adjusted for geographic site, age, sex and specialty.

“There is a societal imperative to provide physicians a better option than choosing between reducing clinical work or burning out,” Dr. Shanafelt says. “Physicians reducing their professional effort due to burnout could exacerbate the already substantial U.S. physician workforce shortage as well as impact continuity of care for patients.”

He says the link between burnout and cutting clinical work is particularly concerning for several primary care disciplines, such as family medicine and general internal medicine. These specialties already have the largest projected physician shortages and have some of the highest rates of burnout.

The researchers say more studies must be done to determine if the workforce reduction due to burnout is causal and to see if changes in the practice environment can reverse this trend.
Old 4th April 2016, 04:48 PM

About:

Strategy for preventing practice burnout: Suicide among physicians and surgeons
Gerald T. Kuwada
The Foot and Ankle Online Journal 9 (1): 10
Quote:
The incidence of burnout is increasing rapidly at an alarming rate among physicians and surgeons. This is also true for physician and surgeon suicide rate which is higher than the general population. Furthermore, female physicians are committing suicide 250-400% more than their female professionals. A strategy to prevent burnout is presented and discussed with the hopes of reducing the suicide rate among physicians and surgeons as well. There are 4 steps that must be practiced on a regular basis for the strategy to help prevent future disasters like burnout.
Old 5th April 2016, 01:56 PM

About:

From Forbes Magazine:
Why Physicians and Medical Professionals Must Practice Self-Care
Old 6th April 2016, 10:49 PM

About:

Orthopaedic Surgeon Burnout: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Daniels, Alan H. MD; DePasse, J. Mason MD; Kamal, Robin N. MD
Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: April 2016 - Volume 24 - Issue 4 - p 213–219
Quote:
Burnout is a syndrome marked by emotional exhaustion, depersonalization, and low job satisfaction. Rates of burnout in orthopaedic surgeons are higher than those in the general population and many other medical subspecialties. Half of all orthopaedic surgeons show symptoms of burnout, with the highest rates reported in residents and orthopaedic department chairpersons. This syndrome is associated with poor outcomes for surgeons, institutions, and patients. Validated instruments exist to objectively diagnose burnout, although family members and colleagues should be aware of early warning signs and risk factors, such as irritability, withdrawal, and failing relationships at work and home. Emerging evidence indicates that mindfulness-based interventions or educational programs combined with meditation may be effective treatment options. Orthopaedic residency programs, departments, and practices should focus on identifying the signs of burnout and implementing prevention and treatment programs that have been shown to mitigate symptoms.