Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Msc In Theory Of Podiatric Surgery

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kitty_girl, Oct 15, 2008.

1. kitty_girl

kitty_girl Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi! everybody!

im a podiaty student from sweden stockholm and im doing my last year of base podiatry, im welling to do a post-studies i surgery. i gess ther is one cours i glasgow skotland.

is there sombody how are in this cours??? :eek:
    are there similar courses i GB or som where else? :dizzy:

thanks

jamila

2. jedi

jedi Welcome New Poster

hi, I know of an MSc on pod surgery at Huddersfield University

3. podpaul

podpaul Active Member

Hello,

I'm currently on the same course which is run in Eastbourne through the University of Brighton. The couse can be studied full or part time. I am studying part time over three years.

At Brighton we study 7 modules which include Pharmacology, anatomy, biomechanics, radiology, pathology and medicine, research methods and the foot in surgery. Then a dissertation completes the MSc.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

4. G Flanagan

G Flanagan Active Member

i'm on the course in Scotland, from my understanding each course has to cover core modules. Although as with anything each university will add a personal touch to it. Anybody correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the brighton course is still awaiting accreditation?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  5. podpaul

podpaul Active Member

Hi there,

The Brighton course was accredited in july this year (2008). Most of the Msc courses cover 6 core modules plus dissertation, however for some reason Brighton added a seventh module.

6. MR NAKE

MR NAKE Active Member

The one at joint GCAL and QMU in Scotland rocks!! its the best trust me, if one is after adventure whoooop whoooop!!!!!

7. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

Hi guys

Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone tell me the application of the MSc in the theory of pod surgery? Is it a requirement for those intending to pursue podiatric surgery proper.?

Cornmerchant

8. Peter1234

Peter1234 Active Member

Hi paul,

can you tell me how the MSc compares to the degree in podiatry? do they expect more from you; is it tougher than the degree?

9. Mart

Mart Well-Known Member

No. I am currently doing my 3rd module in Scotland, at 55 yrs old I doubt I will get offered a surgical residency in UK. IMHO it is the best formal MSK training you can get in the UK as a podiatrist. Go sign up!

cheers

Martin

The St. James Foot Clinic
    1749 Portage Ave.
    Winnipeg
    Manitoba
    R3J 0E6
    phone [204] 837 FOOT (3668)
    fax [204] 774 9918
    www.winnipegfootclinic.com

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Active Member

I think it will dpend on where you want to do it. I am currently doing the MSc through the University of Huddersfield and I just phoned the course lead up, had a chat and they told me when and where to turn up. When I got there I had to fill in all my details like everyone else.

My advice to you, is find out who the course lead is and there details, give them a call and discuss it with them. Only they can tell you how to apply.

Good luck and it's a great course!

11. G Flanagan

G Flanagan Active Member

Cornmerchant,

Yes, the MSc Theory of Pod Surg is a requirement for formal Pod Surg training (UK). Going into more detail, you have to complete the 1st year / 4 modules before you can apply for a surgical pupillage. In this case the PGCert has replaced Part A. The second year (PGDip) replaced the old Part B. In theory you dont have to complete the third year thesis to continue your surgical training, however this will award you (shoud you pass) with your MSc + possibly give you a potential paper to publish which is a requirement of further training

12. Ryan McCallum

Ryan McCallum Active Member

As of the beginning of the next academic year, it will be compulsory to complete the PgDip before being allowed to apply for a surgical trainee position in the UK.

Ryan

13. Mart

Mart Well-Known Member

I wanted to correct this post because I had misinterpreted your question.

My understanding is that shortly you will have to do the MSc in the way already descibed to pursue a surgical passport.

However, as I mentioned you do not have to intend to do this to be admitted onto course.

sorry for confusion

cheers

Martin

The St. James Foot Clinic
    1749 Portage Ave.
    Winnipeg
    Manitoba
    R3J 0E6
    phone [204] 837 FOOT (3668)
    fax [204] 774 9918
    www.winnipegfootclinic.com